usb modem and using xbox

Old April 13th 05, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SirRinket

Default usb modem and using xbox

hi ive just signed up for pipex and they are sending me a usb modem - this
will be fine for using on my pc but when i plug in a router and connect up
my xbox won't i need the pc on to get the power to the usb modem for the
connection ??

how can a get around this ? another modem ?

thanks.

Old April 13th 05, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob C

hi ive just signed up for pipex and they are sending me a usb modem - this
will be fine for using on my pc but when i plug in a router and connect up
my xbox won't i need the pc on to get the power to the usb modem for the
connection ??

how can a get around this ? another modem ?

Depending on the router, you should be able to plug the USB modem into the
router. As the router has a separate power supply, it'll continue to
function when the computer is switched off. However, this does depend on
the router, so it's worth checking.

Old April 13th 05, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"SirRinket" wrote in message
hi ive just signed up for pipex and they are sending me a usb modem - this
will be fine for using on my pc but when i plug in a router and connect up
my xbox won't i need the pc on to get the power to the usb modem for the
connection ??

Yep, that's right. The PC will need to be on and you'll need to use
Internet Connection Sharing to get data to the xbox.

how can a get around this ? another modem ?

A new router which has a built in ADSL modem should do the job nicely.

thanks.