Monthly limits

Old April 13th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Well_i_Wonder

Default Monthly limits

As mentioned in my earlier post I'm thinking of going with Wanadoo's 1mb
package with a 2Gb monthly limit. I'm pretty sure I can stay within that
limit in terms of downloading music, video etc at least for a year anyway
but how much does 'normal' everyday surfing use up? I don't want to
underestimate.

Thanks.

W.

Old April 13th 05, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gzl

"Well_i_Wonder" wrote in message
As mentioned in my earlier post I'm thinking of going with Wanadoo's

1mb
package with a 2Gb monthly limit. I'm pretty sure I can stay within

that
limit in terms of downloading music, video etc at least for a year

anyway
but how much does 'normal' everyday surfing use up? I don't want to
underestimate.

Thanks.

Look at it another way...
70MBs a day.
Or a constant download of 125kbs, it wud take 4 hrs to use your 2GB
limit.

Old April 13th 05, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:40:54 +0100, "Well_i_Wonder"
wrote:

As mentioned in my earlier post I'm thinking of going with Wanadoo's 1mb
package with a 2Gb monthly limit. I'm pretty sure I can stay within that
limit in terms of downloading music, video etc at least for a year anyway
but how much does 'normal' everyday surfing use up? I don't want to
underestimate.

Thanks.

W.

I am on the 1Meg 2Gb service and the kids use it after school to play
on the BBC website and do the odd surf around. I use it to upload
websites, email (lots - 20+ emails a day) and do webcam sessions with
the parents once a week (for about an hour). I also download sofware
and files amounting to about the same as one CD album a week.

All this and I have not topped 1.5Gb a month.

If you expect to download more than 15 mp3s and a large video a week
then you may be nearing your limit.

In your previous post you said you didnt want to go over 18 and you
didnt want to pay connection fees. Well, I think this is the best deal
you are going to get. I was tempeted with Plus Net but the connection
charges made it more expensive than Wanadoo (for the first year
anyway).

HTH

Harry
Old April 13th 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

wrote:

As mentioned in my earlier post I'm thinking of going with Wanadoo's 1mb
package with a 2Gb monthly limit. I'm pretty sure I can stay within that
limit in terms of downloading music, video etc at least for a year anyway
but how much does 'normal' everyday surfing use up? I don't want to
underestimate.

How long is a "normal" piece of string?

It really depends on what you consider normal.

For some people, it would be a few hundred KB a day, for others it
would be a few dozen MB, while some will use a few hundred MB.

How many hours per day are you thinking of?

Old April 13th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Well_i_Wonder

wrote:

As mentioned in my earlier post I'm thinking of going with Wanadoo's 1mb
package with a 2Gb monthly limit. I'm pretty sure I can stay within that
limit in terms of downloading music, video etc at least for a year anyway
but how much does 'normal' everyday surfing use up? I don't want to
underestimate.

How long is a "normal" piece of string?

It really depends on what you consider normal.

For some people, it would be a few hundred KB a day, for others it
would be a few dozen MB, while some will use a few hundred MB.

How many hours per day are you thinking of?

Well maybe send/receive 10-20 small emails per day 50kB each. Have
messenger on for 5-6 hours a day but not used for anything but text based
conversations (no webcam). And maybe 1-2 hours surfing of 'normal' sites
with no video/audo downloads..

This would be in addition to downloading mp3s etc totalling about 1Gb a
month which I can always put a stop to if I approach my limit.

Thanks all.

W.

Old April 13th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:24:06 +0100, "Well_i_Wonder"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a 2Gb cap will fit in fine with that usage
Old April 13th 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John...

"Well_i_Wonder" wrote in message
As mentioned in my earlier post I'm thinking of going with Wanadoo's 1mb
package with a 2Gb monthly limit. I'm pretty sure I can stay within that
limit in terms of downloading music, video etc at least for a year anyway
but how much does 'normal' everyday surfing use up? I don't want to
underestimate.

Thanks.

W.

Get yourself a bandwidth monitor to track your daily/monthly
usage.I use Tautology Bandwith Meter v1.1 Works great.
I used 1.16Gb in February and 1.93Gb in March. It's a free
program,search for it through Google.

John

Old April 13th 05, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , Harry
writes

If you expect to download more than 15 mp3s and a large video a week
then you may be nearing your limit.

A large video?

I downloaded a small archived film, in black and white, which runs for
62 minutes. As an MPEG2 file this was 3.25 Gb, and considered small.

With an AV requirement the 2 Gb limit is impossible to live with.
Especially when MPEG 2 streaming video/films become widespread. A 2 Mbps
ADSL line will be a minimum requirement.

I downloaded the film via a 470 Kbps 2 way satellite at an average of
160 KB/s over 8.5 hours. In this case my 2 way satellite was able to go
up to 307 KB/s file downloading due to a caching server. The latter
brought more than 1 data stream down and assembled it for the ethernet
LAN.
NOTE: The usual rule of Kbps down divided by 8 to give the file down-
load speed does not apply.
--
John Clark
Old April 13th 05, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

John... wrote:

[snip]

Get yourself a bandwidth monitor to track your daily/monthly
usage.I use Tautology Bandwith Meter v1.1 Works great.
I used 1.16Gb in February and 1.93Gb in March. It's a free
program,search for it through Google.

John

Ah but does it record accurately the usage for several computers on the
same router..? I have a program that tells me what each PC it's running on
is using but that doesn't take into account the VoIP traffic on my Sipura
ATA.

Ivor

Old April 13th 05, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:13:53 +0100, John
wrote:

In article , Harry
writes

If you expect to download more than 15 mp3s and a large video a week
then you may be nearing your limit.

A large video?

I downloaded a small archived film, in black and white, which runs for
62 minutes. As an MPEG2 file this was 3.25 Gb, and considered small.

This is however not how most film downloads are served up. 700MB is
more usual, unless youre copying pirated DVDs.