OT? BT line polarity?

Old April 13th 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

Default OT? BT line polarity?

Hi All,

Sorry if this isn't strictly on topic but I wondered if someone could
confirm if telepgone line (LL) 'engineers' bother checking / keeping
the polarity of the 50V DC line voltage a certain way .. (I think they
used to be called A and B legs in my BT days but I was on electronics
repair not 'Holes n poles' or 'Subs apps') ;-)

If there is a right polarity, if so, which way round please (re 2 and
5 on the BT socket).

All the best ..

T i m

I was helping a mate sort a slow dial-up connection (aren't they all
g) and some of it was down to poor internal cabling (bad use of
'pairs' etc).

Old April 13th 05, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:45:36 +0000 (UTC), "Steve P"
wrote:

See http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

Thanks for that Steve (bookmarked link).

So, it says "-48V to the B leg (J2) and 0V to the A leg (J5)"

I take it that these voiltage are WRT ground, so for a more 'real
world' answer I should see 50V on 5 WRT 2 ;-)

If so that makes remembering it easy .. 50V on 5 or the higher number
the higher voltage ;-)

Cheers ..

T i m
Old April 14th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jock Mackirdy

In article , Steve P
wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

Sorry if this isn't strictly on topic but I wondered if someone could
confirm if telepgone line (LL) 'engineers' bother checking / keeping
the polarity of the 50V DC line voltage a certain way .. (I think they
used to be called A and B legs in my BT days but I was on electronics
repair not 'Holes n poles' or 'Subs apps') ;-)

If there is a right polarity, if so, which way round please (re 2 and
5 on the BT socket).

See http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

Top posting edited.

There's no point at all fiddling around with the wiring to get pos. and neg.
on particular wires. The BT network and BABT-approved apparatus are not
polarity-sensitive. Line reversals can occur whenever work is done on
external cables or flexibility points.

If you've got a modem that's sensitive to line polarity, try buying one
that's BABT approved.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old April 14th 05, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vivian stanshall

Maybe you didn't read the link? Too busy editing the post.

"Which way around they are connected usually doesn't matter but as Rick
Hughes kindly pointed out some modems (especially older USA sourced
ones) and some answering machines are fussy about polarity, so it's wise
if possible to check the voltage on the line and connect -48V to the B
leg (J2) and 0V to the A leg (J5)."

Jock Mackirdy wrote:
In article , Steve P
wrote:

. ..

Old April 14th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:28:21 GMT, Jock Mackirdy
wrote:

In article , Steve P
wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

Sorry if this isn't strictly on topic but I wondered if someone could
confirm if telepgone line (LL) 'engineers' bother checking / keeping
the polarity of the 50V DC line voltage a certain way .. (I think they
used to be called A and B legs in my BT days but I was on electronics
repair not 'Holes n poles' or 'Subs apps') ;-)

If there is a right polarity, if so, which way round please (re 2 and
5 on the BT socket).

See http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

Top posting edited.

There's no point at all fiddling around with the wiring to get pos. and neg.
on particular wires. The BT network and BABT-approved apparatus are not
polarity-sensitive. Line reversals can occur whenever work is done on
external cables or flexibility points.

That was one of my questions, ta.

If you've got a modem that's sensitive to line polarity, try buying one
that's BABT approved.

I haven't .. and the last time I might of bought a non approved modem
I believe it was a V.21 ;-)

All the best ..

T i m