NTL roll-out

Old April 14th 05, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MattB

Default NTL roll-out

Does anyone know where to find info on NTL's projected national roll-out
over the next year? I would like to know if they or Telewest plan to
install in my area Crewe, Cheshire in the foreseeable future. Their
website has a standard availability checker, but no indication of future
plans to install in my area. Thought I'd ask here before hanging around
for ages on their helpline.

Cheers,

Old April 14th 05, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

MattB wrote:
Does anyone know where to find info on NTL's projected national
roll-out over the next year? I would like to know if they or
Telewest plan to install in my area Crewe, Cheshire in the
foreseeable future. Their website has a standard availability
checker, but no indication of future plans to install in my area. Thought
I'd ask here before hanging around for ages on their helpline.

Cheers,

Well it's been a long time since I've seen a pig fly so you may be lucky but
I seriously doubt it...

Old April 14th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:55:52 +0100, MattB wrote:

Does anyone know where to find info on NTL's projected national roll-out
over the next year? I would like to know if they or Telewest plan to
install in my area Crewe, Cheshire in the foreseeable future. Their
website has a standard availability checker, but no indication of future
plans to install in my area. Thought I'd ask here before hanging around
for ages on their helpline.

Hey Matt

There's probably a reason for you wanting to use ntl, but if there
isn't anything set in stone that forces you to (e.g. no ADSL
capability) then my advice, and I suspect others in this group, would
be to avoid ntl like the plague. I'd go so far as to say that I'd
rather stay on dial up instead of getting their services!
Old April 14th 05, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Richard Sobey wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:55:52 +0100, MattB wrote:

Does anyone know where to find info on NTL's projected national roll-out
over the next year? I would like to know if they or Telewest plan to
install in my area Crewe, Cheshire in the foreseeable future. Their
website has a standard availability checker, but no indication of future
plans to install in my area. Thought I'd ask here before hanging around
for ages on their helpline.

Hey Matt

There's probably a reason for you wanting to use ntl, but if there
isn't anything set in stone that forces you to (e.g. no ADSL
capability) then my advice, and I suspect others in this group, would
be to avoid ntl like the plague. I'd go so far as to say that I'd
rather stay on dial up instead of getting their services!

I disagree.

I use NTL ADSL and it's absolutely fine. As was their dial-up for me
and cable before that. (Different houses and areas) Especially as our
phone bill is pretty low and the 15 free calls for 24 a month really
makes it worth our while to go NTL rather than others. We effectively
pay nothing for the phone.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old April 14th 05, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

The Caretaker wrote:
Richard Sobey wrote:
[...]

Just to clarify, are you on ADSL or on a Cable Modem?

Old April 14th 05, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

kraftee wrote:
The Caretaker wrote:

Richard Sobey wrote:

[...]

Now on ADSL, and it's as good, if not better, than cable was.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old April 14th 05, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

The Caretaker wrote:
kraftee wrote:
The Caretaker wrote:

Richard Sobey wrote:

[...]

So you are using a BT supplied ADSL on a BT telephone line (claiming it's
better than a cable modem) & yet extolling the virtues of NTL.....

Does not compute........

Old April 14th 05, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
MattB writes:
Does anyone know where to find info on NTL's projected national roll-out
over the next year? I would like to know if they or Telewest plan to
install in my area Crewe, Cheshire in the foreseeable future. Their
website has a standard availability checker, but no indication of future
plans to install in my area. Thought I'd ask here before hanging around
for ages on their helpline.

Go to your local stationers, ask for a ream of copier paper, and you'll
be presented with 500 copies of NTL's total roll-out plan for the next
year, with Telewest's plan on the other side for good measure :-)

--
Tim Clark
Old April 14th 05, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ste Kearney

I disagree.

I use NTL ADSL and it's absolutely fine. As was their dial-up for
me and cable before that. (Different houses and areas) Especially
as our phone bill is pretty low and the 15 free calls for 24 a
month really makes it worth our while to go NTL rather than others.
We effectively pay nothing for the phone.

Just to clarify, are you on ADSL or on a Cable Modem?

Now on ADSL, and it's as good, if not better, than cable was.

So you are using a BT supplied ADSL on a BT telephone line (claiming
it's better than a cable modem) & yet extolling the virtues of NTL.....

Does not compute........

I got NTL 3mb cable and Metronet 1mb ADSL and both are fine. I prefer
the NTL one actually (on it now), I've not idea why, just *feels* more
like a LAN than using a phone line.

Neither have let me down.

Ste

--
Take out no before @ and spam after

Old April 15th 05, 07:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

kraftee wrote:

So you are using a BT supplied ADSL on a BT telephone line (claiming it's
better than a cable modem) & yet extolling the virtues of NTL.....

Does not compute........

When I lived in Nottingham I had NTL cable feed, which was crap.
Intermittent drop-oputs, regular slow speeds, slower than dial-up
occasionally, even to the point of simply not working.

Now I live elsewhere I managed for a year with NTL Freedom dial-up,
which in this area was absolutely fine and stable, with about a 48 to
52k connection speed.

Now I have a BT line with NTL ADSL broadband access and I have
absolutely no problems with it. I've not re-booted since turning it on
about 3 months ago. I don't, howver, use the NTL modem, I have a wifi
AP and router, which I think makes a difference.

I'm on the Freedom telephone package 512k + 15 telephone calls and it's
great. I regularly achieve well over 750k d/l and always 240k u/l.

--
The Caretaker .........