Unusual VPN requirement

Old April 14th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

Default Unusual VPN requirement

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:55:13 +0100, wrote:

Hi

I can set up a VPN from a laptop connected over 802.11 wireless, to my
office.

What I would like is a way to be able to walk into an internet cafe
(many of which don't offer 802.11 wireless), plus a CD into a CD drive
in one of their PCs, and software on the CD will set up the VPN. So
even if there was a keylogger on the PC in the cafe, they wouldn't get
the login details because I would not be typing anything in.
Everything would run off the CD, leaving nothing in the PC (except
some stuff in RAM and possibly the swapfile but those are easy enough
to superficially clean-up, with a reboot etc).

Is there such a product? It or something it ought to exist because
otherwise anyone using a public wireless access point to access their
business email is taking a risk.

Obviously it would have to avoid using the windows' VPN function.

I'm sure there is such a product available, but I'm also sure you
won't find any significant number of internet cafes willing to allow
you to put external CDs into their PCs.

You have a much better chance of getting an internet cafe to allow you
to connect your own laptop, whether by ethernet or wireless.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I'm not dead. I'm electroencephelographically challenged.