Adsl modem/Router Nat and Sw firewalls

Old April 14th 05, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jt

Default Adsl modem/Router Nat and Sw firewalls

Hi,

I got fed up with XP ICS and got a ADSL Modem with 4 port switch and I wish
I did that years ago.

The modem/router is using Nat and I've forward all outside requests to a
fake IP. All firewall test sites show as stealth, I installed ZA so I can
have some control of the outward bound apps. After a day or so the ZA
access attempts so zero (router working fine then) and all my AVG is upto
date.

Is ZA really needed now? As I noticed a drop in speed after I installed it,
A friend of mine says all he has is the router and anti virus upto date and
he's never had a problem.

How secure is Nat forwarding and up todate anti virus?

Cheers

Old April 14th 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jt

Hi,

Kerio cause boot up problems, and sygate had this habit of stopping working
so I end up with ZA each time but slow (which pushed me to get the router
because ICS does not work in ZA free)

"cw" wrote in message
"Jt" wrote in news:mo-
:

How secure is Nat forwarding and up todate anti virus?

That depends on how good your personal practices are. Personally I don't
run an antivirus or firewall on my PC and I haven't seen any troubles for
years. I do have AV installed so I can switch it on if I suspect
something to be dodgy though.

If ZA is slowing you down you could try an alternative - I used to like
Kerio but not since they changed a few years back so I tend to use sygate
now if anything.

--
Colin

Old April 14th 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Jt wrote:

Hi,

I got fed up with XP ICS and got a ADSL Modem with 4 port switch and
I wish I did that years ago.

The modem/router is using Nat and I've forward all outside requests
to a fake IP. All firewall test sites show as stealth, I installed ZA
so I can have some control of the outward bound apps. After a day or
so the ZA access attempts so zero (router working fine then) and all
my AVG is upto date.

Is ZA really needed now? As I noticed a drop in speed after I
installed it, A friend of mine says all he has is the router and anti
virus upto date and he's never had a problem.

How secure is Nat forwarding and up todate anti virus?

Cheers

The thing is that NAT and AV software won't stop you from inadvertently
getting and installing a Trojan - maybe as an email attachment. But if the
Trojan then tries to "call home", ZA will catch it.

This has been discussed many times before, and the perceived wisdom is
invariably that you should still have a software firewall, even with a NAT
router.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old April 14th 05, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

True wisdom would be to have measures in place to avoid the infection
in the first place.

But acquired wisdom is a good second best for those who are not computer
analysts, and who still need to use a Windows based PC.