Aggregating broadband connections

Old April 14th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RCE Defiant

Default Aggregating broadband connections

Anyone know if it's possible to aggregate two broadband connections? I will
tomorrow have my old 2meg braodband and also my new 4 meg, they are both
with the same provider. I will have them both for approx a month while I
wait for the cancellation of the 2 meg to go through so thought I might have
a go at getting 6 meg to work for a month.

--
RCE Defiant

Old April 14th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:27:18 +0100, "RCE Defiant"
wrote:

Anyone know if it's possible to aggregate two broadband connections? I will
tomorrow have my old 2meg braodband and also my new 4 meg, they are both
with the same provider. I will have them both for approx a month while I
wait for the cancellation of the 2 meg to go through so thought I might have
a go at getting 6 meg to work for a month.

Yes, you can if your provider supports multilink PPP on its broadband
platform.

But you need the right kit at your end and you need to ask your
provider to configure it at their end. And considering that you're
ditching the 2Mbps account shortly I suspect that they won't be
interested.

Jake

Old April 14th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vivian stanshall

wrote:

Anyone know if it's possible to aggregate two broadband connections? I will
tomorrow have my old 2meg braodband and also my new 4 meg, they are both
with the same provider. I will have them both for approx a month while I
wait for the cancellation of the 2 meg to go through so thought I might have
a go at getting 6 meg to work for a month.

Yes, you can if your provider supports multilink PPP on its broadband
platform.

But you need the right kit at your end and you need to ask your
provider to configure it at their end. And considering that you're
ditching the 2Mbps account shortly I suspect that they won't be
interested.

Jake

you will need two phone lines
Old April 14th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

There are only two real ways to do this - one is multilink as suggested but
that requires provider support. The other is with a load balancing router
but chances are that'll cost more than it is worth.

--
Colin
Old April 15th 05, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

Anyone know if it's possible to aggregate two broadband connections?

yes, load balancing router like
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...cyclone200.asp
or a computer with two network cards and routing set up to use the two
links intelligently (all the Usenet down one, web down the other for
example).

in both cases you won't get a single 6M link for a single app but can
get 6M for multiple apps or multiple computers to share.

Line bonding would give you one 6M but that needs PPP multilink and
both lines from the same ISP.

Phil

Old April 15th 05, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

Line bonding would give you one 6M but that needs PPP multilink and
both lines from the same ISP.

And both lines provided over the same path, i.e. you can't mix
datastream and IP Stream, or IP Stream and LLU, for example, even
though both may be provided by the same provider.

We even have an ongoing issue where a customer has 2 x 2 IP Stream
connections, but they go through different B-RASs inside BT's colossus
network, one Cisco and one Juniper. The result is that it doesn't
work too well.

Jake
Old April 16th 05, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Peter M wrote:
On 14 Apr 2005 20:39, vivian stanshall wrote:

you will need two phone lines

Since the poster has indicated both will be operational, one should
quite quickly assume he will have separate services on two existing
phone lines!

I wouldn't assume *anything* around here ;-)

Ivor