1899 VOIP configuration problems with VOIP handset.

Old April 15th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

Default 1899 VOIP configuration problems with VOIP handset.

I have just bought a VOIP K phone with a dial pad and had their support
department, (which appears to be excellent), sort out my configuration
to use it for PC to PC with Skype, (not for Skype-out). However, they
don't support 1899 so I had to try to do that myself. Even though I have
selected the VOIP phone in 1899's configuration boxes, I cannot get it
to recognise the use of the VOIP phone's dial pad, it simply does not
work with it. How do I solve this please?
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old April 15th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

What is 1899? If you phone is a Skype unit and 1899 is a SIP based system,
you may find that this is not possible.

Paul DS.

Old April 15th 05, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
isitsafe

With Skype you don't dial a number, you contact a registered user by name. I
use Skype (not Skype Out) this way ie PC to PC. Rgds.

Old April 16th 05, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , isitsafe
writes
With Skype you don't dial a number, you contact a registered user by name. I
use Skype (not Skype Out) this way ie PC to PC. Rgds.

So do I, and like you I don't want to pay up front with my PC to
Landline calls so I therefore won't use Skypeout. However, I do use 1899
for my VOIP calls and have found I can use my new VOIP handset to talk
but cannot use it to dial, I have to do that first on my PC, how do I
configure my new handset dialler to work with 1899, that's my problem.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old April 16th 05, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
In message , isitsafe
writes
With Skype you don't dial a number, you contact a registered user
by name. I use Skype (not Skype Out) this way ie PC to PC. Rgds.

So do I, and like you I don't want to pay up front with my PC to
Landline calls so I therefore won't use Skypeout. However, I do use
1899 for my VOIP calls and have found I can use my new VOIP handset
to talk but cannot use it to dial, I have to do that first on my
PC, how do I configure my new handset dialler to work with 1899,
that's my problem.

As I said elsewhere, you can't. The Cyberphone K was designed specifically
for Skype and while other systems can make use of it as an audio
input/output device, the keypad can *only* be used for Skype.

Ivor

Old April 16th 05, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Ivor Jones
writes
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
In message , isitsafe
writes
With Skype you don't dial a number, you contact a registered user
by name. I use Skype (not Skype Out) this way ie PC to PC. Rgds.

So do I, and like you I don't want to pay up front with my PC to
Landline calls so I therefore won't use Skypeout. However, I do use
1899 for my VOIP calls and have found I can use my new VOIP handset
to talk but cannot use it to dial, I have to do that first on my
PC, how do I configure my new handset dialler to work with 1899,
that's my problem.

As I said elsewhere, you can't. The Cyberphone K was designed specifically
for Skype and while other systems can make use of it as an audio
input/output device, the keypad can *only* be used for Skype.

Ivor

Thank you Ivor, I am sorry you had to tell me twice but I am still
trying to come to grips with a handset that I bought that now appears to
be only usable with Skype. I love Skype as a PC to PC system and
hopefully, my new handset might improve my audio in the PC to PC mode,
(?), but when I bought the VOIP handset I specifically avoided the model
with Skype written on it yet I now find the dialpad cannot be used with
other systems. Is there another phone that I should have bought in my
circumstances and should I send it back.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old April 17th 05, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:31:25 +0100, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

I have just bought a VOIP K phone with a dial pad and had their support
department, (which appears to be excellent), sort out my configuration
to use it for PC to PC with Skype, (not for Skype-out). However, they
don't support 1899 so I had to try to do that myself. Even though I have
selected the VOIP phone in 1899's configuration boxes, I cannot get it
to recognise the use of the VOIP phone's dial pad, it simply does not
work with it. How do I solve this please?

I'm in the same boat with the Cyberphone K -- if you check the
manufacturer's website http://www.voipvoice.com/ you'll see that they
do warn "Additional driver required for integration of keypad into 3rd
party software".

However, some of the non-generic softphone providers have apparently
managed to incorporate the necessary driver into their proprietary
software, which shows that it can be done.

However, like you, I want to use the 1899voip service and reckon it is
probably just a question of time before a suitable generic SIP or IAX
driver becomes available to enable the dial pad and other keys.
Haven't found one yet, but am still looking.

Old April 17th 05, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message ,
writes
wrote:

[...]

Brilliant, thank you so much, consoling to know I am not the only one
and that there is some hope for me. I will, (if I may), inform you if I
solve the problem. I was struggling to find the words to describe what
is wrong with the handset but I think the above email has got it right
this time. I now only need to decide if I am going to keep the K phone
or get someone else's brand, don't know yet.
Kind regards,
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old April 17th 05, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message ,
writes
wrote:

[...]

Just a note to let you know I am sending it back as it does not do what
I wanted it to do and it upset all my settings in using Skype so out it
goes. I would warn others that VOIP PC to Landline calls are not what
they are hyped up to be.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old April 18th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Just a note to let you know I am sending it back as it does not do what
I wanted it to do and it upset all my settings in using Skype so out it
goes. I would warn others that VOIP PC to Landline calls are not what
they are hyped up to be.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

No, no, no! Just because you bought the wrong thing and it would not work
does not mean you can generalize to all VoIP to Landline. Sorry to be a
little agressive but I program VoIP for a living and so my colleagues and I
are playing with various offerings all the time.

VoIP-2-landline is not currently as good as landline-2-landline (in most
cases) but it works and if you're in "somewhere-far-off-land" with
reasonable IP, you can call home very cheaply and with more than good enough
quality. VoIP offering are improving all the time and VoIP is more than
adequate for most calls to landlines.

I would recommend you look for open (i.e SIP based) solutions such as those
offered by XTen, Cisco/Nortel/Grandstream hardware phones if you want to be
most compatible and get most flexibility. There are plenty of free servers
out there with landline gateways (e.g. www.pulver.com for one) and even some
good free clients (e.g. www.ineen.com).

Note that I'm not recommending these, just giving you a heads-up. Please
don't discredit VoIP because of one unfortunate purchase tied to a closed
system.

Paul DS.