Blocking Wan on an ADSL/Router

Old April 16th 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jt

Default Blocking Wan on an ADSL/Router

Hi,

The instructions for my ADSL Modem/Router are pretty naff and I'm looking
for information on on the below:

I've got 3 machines (soon 4) that are connected to the ADSL Modem/Router 2
of them are XP and the other is 98 (old machine) I want the 98 machine
connected to the LAN but not to the WAN. I've gone though the instructions
(and web site) but has not text on this.

Anyone got the Shock 741 ADSL Modem/Router that point me in the right
direction?

Cheers

Old April 16th 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In article , [email protected]
Me.net.cop.gig.plt says...
Hi,

The instructions for my ADSL Modem/Router are pretty naff and I'm looking
for information on on the below:

I've got 3 machines (soon 4) that are connected to the ADSL Modem/Router 2
of them are XP and the other is 98 (old machine) I want the 98 machine
connected to the LAN but not to the WAN. I've gone though the instructions
(and web site) but has not text on this.

Anyone got the Shock 741 ADSL Modem/Router that point me in the right
direction?

Cheers

This is a standard conexant based router. Looking at their web site it
has a very old firmware version.

Take a visit to the Safecom/Origo forums at
http://www.adsltech.com/portal. There you can either find your answer in
the forum or can ask if this subject hasn't been covered (I think it
has). You can also get firmware upgrades which might make the task a lot
easier and also the router a little bit more versatile ( e.g. adding an
SPI firewall).
--
Mugwump

Reply to 'usenetmail{at}discworld{dot}org{dot}uk

Old April 16th 05, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 16 Apr 2005 15:20, "Jt" wrote:

Anyone got the Shock 741 ADSL Modem/Router

A few routers allow one to restrict the IP addresses on your LAN which have
access, but other ways to achieve this could include setting the Win 98 PC
to use a fixed IP address and set unused addresses for the Gateway, and
DNS, so that lookup attempts fail, and anything not for the LAN will
as well.

For example, if your ADSL router was 10.0.0.100 then setting the Win 98 PC to
use 10.0.0.200 for the gateway and DNS would cause any non-local traffic to
simply not go further than the router (it may pass it on to all connections,
but there will be nothing to accept the data, and the Win 98 PC will later
give a timeout error). HTH. Peter M.

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old April 16th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jt

Cheers

Would Bridge filtering allow me to do this? The router has a brider
filtering option like:

ID Source MAC* Destination MAC* TYPE**

1. (Edit Box for Mac Source) {Edit Box for Mac Destination) (**TYPE) []Block
[]Forward ADD

* MAC address should looks like 000002fa6fab
** TYPE is Ethernet type should looks like a5ff

What I was thinking is using the 98 machine mac as source and the routers
WAN Mac address asit's shown on the home page.

IP Address Subnet Mask MAC Address
Blah Blah blah

But the "** TYPE is Ethernet type should looks like a5ff " line is confusing
my as I do not know how to the the Ethernet type value to use.

Also as the IP is dynamic would the wan mac address change as well?

Cheers

"Peter M" wrote in message
s.net...

Old April 16th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:20:55 +0100, "Jt"
wrote:

Hi,

The instructions for my ADSL Modem/Router are pretty naff and I'm looking
for information on on the below:

I've got 3 machines (soon 4) that are connected to the ADSL Modem/Router 2
of them are XP and the other is 98 (old machine) I want the 98 machine
connected to the LAN but not to the WAN. I've gone though the instructions
(and web site) but has not text on this.

Isn't it usually a firewall's job to stop traffic. You could add one
to your system (use something like m0n0wall on an old Win9x machine -
quite easy).

Alternatively configure your Win98 machine with a static IP and leave
the Gateway address blank.

--
AnthonyL
Old April 16th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Jt" wrote in message
news
Hi,

The instructions for my ADSL Modem/Router are pretty naff and I'm looking
for information on on the below:

I've got 3 machines (soon 4) that are connected to the ADSL Modem/Router 2
of them are XP and the other is 98 (old machine) I want the 98 machine
connected to the LAN but not to the WAN. I've gone though the instructions
(and web site) but has not text on this.

Anyone got the Shock 741 ADSL Modem/Router that point me in the right
direction?

give the 98 box a static ip address, but leave out the gateway address, and
remove dns addresses. ;-)

P.