Limit net access based on time/day using BT Voyager 205

Old April 16th 05, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter X

Default Limit net access based on time/day using BT Voyager 205

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to control internet access based on
the time of day and day of week, using a BT Voyager 205 router?

FYI - This isn't for me and I don't have access to the router (yet) so I
can't nose around the menus. The functionality I want does exist on my
Netgear DG384G so I'm hoping the same is true on the Voyager!

The router has a PC on the USB port and an XBox on the LAN port. The
objective is really just to prevent the XBox from working at night and
during school time! (sigh).

Any help appreciated!

--
Regards,

Peter.
Old April 16th 05, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:11:02 +0100, Peter X
wrote:

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to control internet access based on
the time of day and day of week, using a BT Voyager 205 router?

FYI - This isn't for me and I don't have access to the router (yet) so I
can't nose around the menus. The functionality I want does exist on my
Netgear DG384G so I'm hoping the same is true on the Voyager!

The router has a PC on the USB port and an XBox on the LAN port. The
objective is really just to prevent the XBox from working at night and
during school time! (sigh).

Any help appreciated!

I am not sure if this will help you but
http://www.uk-bug.net/UpDownload-ind...nce_guide.html
says that a Voyager 205 is the same as a Solwise SAR110 and on that
web page you can download the manual for SAR110. However is the BT
Voyager 205 the same as a Voyager 205?

And even if you do what you want, what would a quick reset with a
paper clip do to your control over the XBox use?

--
anton
Old April 16th 05, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , Peter X
writes

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to control internet access based
on the time of day and day of week, using a BT Voyager 205 router?

Yes, it's possible.

FYI - This isn't for me and I don't have access to the router (yet) so
I can't nose around the menus. The functionality I want does exist on
my Netgear DG384G so I'm hoping the same is true on the Voyager!

From the browser based control panel - Advanced/Security/Access Control
--
Ian Cummings
Old April 16th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Peter X wrote in news:1162aobli54vl56
@corp.supernews.com:

The
objective is really just to prevent the XBox from working at night and
during school time! (sigh).

If you can't figure out a way to do it with the router there is a way
round. Put the LAN cable to the XBox through a small hub/switch and have
the hub/switch powered through one of those timers that switches the
power on and off at certain times.

Voila, no net connection - just hide the timer or glue the switches in
place or something to the same effect.

--
Colin
Old April 16th 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , Ian Cummings
writes
In message , Peter X
writes

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to control internet access based
on the time of day and day of week, using a BT Voyager 205 router?

Yes, it's possible.

Amendment: Time of day - yes. Day of the week - no. From the browser
based control panel. Might be possible from a CLI - not sure.
--
Ian Cummings

Old April 19th 05, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter X

Thanks for all the replies people -- loads of food for though!

I'm currently trying to sort out remote access to their router so I can
at least stop night-time use.

It occured to me today that perhaps Microsoft provide parental controls
as part of XBox-Live? But maybe that would be too sensible?!

Anyways -- thanks everyone once again!

--
Peter.