New Netgear DG834/DG834G Beta released (v.2.10.17)

« BB Advice | XP VPN. »

Old April 16th 05, 07:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default New Netgear DG834/DG834G Beta released (v.2.10.17)

Netgear has released a new Beta Firmware for the DG834 + DG834G.

This note describes enhancements and bug fixes in DG834 and DG834G Beta
Release Version 2.10.17 software. The enhancements and fixes are those
added since Release Version 1.05.00.

Version 2.10.17.

------------------------------
New Features Overview
1. Added support for up to five IPSec VPN tunnel endpoints including
VPN Policies and VPN Status pages.
Note: Information on NETGEAR's VPN client software can be found on the
Netgear Web site at:
http://www.netgear.com/products/deta...01L_VPN05L.php
2. The manual has been updated to include a chapter on VPN.
3. Added VPN Wizard functionality to ease simple tunnel setup based on
defaults suggested by the VPN Consortium.

Modifications and Bug Fixes

Version 2.10.17
1. Updated the ADSL driver to improve ADSL2+ support.
2. Added Knowledge Base and Documentation links under Web Support to
the web management interface.
3. Moved VPN pages to the Advanced-VPN section.
4. Added VPN keep alive feature on VPN Policies page.
5. Fixed a problem with keyword blocking
6. Extended username and password fields on the E-mail page to 63
characters
7. Fixed a problem where if an SSID, passphrase, or PSK contained a
space, it would not be properly restored from the configuration file.
8. Fixed a problem where the date header was missing from email sent by
the DG834(G).
9. Port type is now shown on the Services page (under Security).
10. Fixed a problem with PPTP passthrough introduced in 2.10.09.
11. Fixed a problem with a special configuration where the router would
not disconnect after idle timeout.
12. Fixed a problem where a long pre-shared key could be entered on the
VPN Auto Policy page which could impact router operation. The
pre-shared key is now limited to 49 characters.
13. Fixed a problem where the DNS proxy could fail over time.
14. Fixed a problem where changing wireless security could reset
previous wireless settings.
15. Modified 128-bit WEP to fill in all four keys when a passphrase is
used to generate the key.
16. Fixed a problem where the log could show the hour as "24:xx".
17. Fixed a problem where firewall rules to block by schedule may not
work with a range of WAN addresses.
18. Modified LAN settings to disallow the entry and report an error
when trying to use the range 224.x.x.x - 255.x.x.x.
19. Fixed a problem where Connection Status could show the wrong IP
address for the DHCP server.
20. Modified DNS proxy to support MX record lookups.
21. Fixed a problem where Remote Management could interfere with
hosting web servers on LAN IP address when NAT was disabled.

Version 2.10.09
1. Updated the ADSL microcode. ADSL2+ is now supported, and is
currently undergoing interoperability testing with various DSLAMs.
2. Improved wireless stability.
3. Set default rule to "Drop" when NAT is disabled.
4. Fixed a problem where the static routing table was not updated after
DHCP was disabled then enabled.
5. Special characters such as "/" or "$" can now be used for the PPP
user name and password.
6. Fixed a problem where Annex B firmware could be uploaded to an Annex
A unit.
7. Fixed a problem with RIP-2.

Known Issues
1. If popup blockers are enabled on a client PC, they must be disabled
for certain DG834(G) management web pages to appear, including the
connection test page.
2. If a forwarding rule is set for a server running on the LAN, the
server cannot be accessed using the WAN IP of the DG834(G) from a LAN
station.
3. When changed, the Administrator login idle time may not match the
actual value entered.

Also see http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102685.asp

Firmware V 2.10.17 can be downloaded:
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg...g_V2_10_17.zip

Regards
Sunil

Old April 16th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
me

Let me know when they get it finished ;-)

Old April 17th 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Steven P

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
oups.com...
Netgear has released a new Beta Firmware for the DG834 + DG834G.

This note describes enhancements and bug fixes in DG834 and DG834G Beta
Release Version 2.10.17 software. The enhancements and fixes are those
added since Release Version 1.05.00.

Version 2.10.17.

Firmware V 2.10.17 can be downloaded:
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg...g_V2_10_17.zip

Regards
Sunil

I'm still using 1.05.00 and its rock solid here : - ))

Old April 17th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"me" wrote in message
Let me know when they get it finished ;-)

...at least they react to reported issues and fix them...unlike some
other manufacturers I could mention ........

Old April 17th 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sie

Sunil Sood regurgitated eggs and wrote in news:1113676325.477472.308940
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Netgear has released a new Beta Firmware for the DG834 + DG834G.

Thanks for the heads up. It's very appreciated.

Sie

--
Pile of pants.
Old April 17th 05, 06:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

I'm still using 1.05.00 and its rock solid here : - ))

Me too and not a problem so far, I may upgrade when it's not beta.

Then I may not fix what ain't broke.

Old April 17th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
[ste parker]

It's Me wrote:

I'm still using 1.05.00 and its rock solid here : - ))

Me too and not a problem so far, I may upgrade when it's not beta.

Then I may not fix what ain't broke.

Even then, I'd say unless there's definitely going to be a marked reason
for updating the firmware I'd say stick with whats currently working!

--
[ste]
My current ebay auctions: http://tinyurl.com/6o5uu
Old April 18th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew Bailey

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
oups.com...
Netgear has released a new Beta Firmware for the DG834 + DG834G.

This note describes enhancements and bug fixes in DG834 and DG834G Beta
Release Version 2.10.17 software. The enhancements and fixes are those
added since Release Version 1.05.00.

Version 2.10.17.

------------------------------
New Features Overview
1. Added support for up to five IPSec VPN tunnel endpoints including
VPN Policies and VPN Status pages.
Note: Information on NETGEAR's VPN client software can be found on the
Netgear Web site at:
http://www.netgear.com/products/deta...01L_VPN05L.php
2. The manual has been updated to include a chapter on VPN.
3. Added VPN Wizard functionality to ease simple tunnel setup based on
defaults suggested by the VPN Consortium.

Downloaded the update and no problems seen for the past 24 hours.

Will netgear offer a cheap version of the Netgear VPN client for owners of
the DG824G?

Any suggestions for a cheap (free!) VPN Client to Run on Windows XP Home?

Cheers,

Matt

Old April 19th 05, 05:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband

"Matthew Bailey" wrote in message
"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If I upgrade, will it transfer all my settings, or reconfigure?

Jez

Old April 19th 05, 05:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

A wrote:
"Matthew Bailey" wrote in message
"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Some do (the last one I did didn't need reprograming) but I know some can
wipe the units settings, but it's an easy job to back everything up so do it
just to be on the safe side (it's in the menu)...