BT Broadband Voice made cheaper

Old April 17th 05, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default BT Broadband Voice made cheaper

As I haven't seen it mentioned here yet..

BT have lowered the price of BT Broadband Voice (from the 1st April 2005).

It now costs:

4.99 a month for the Evening and Weekend Plan (similar to BT Together
Option 2)
10.99 a month for the Anytime Plan (similar to BT Together Option 3)

Regards
Sunil

Old April 17th 05, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Matt

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
As I haven't seen it mentioned here yet..

BT have lowered the price of BT Broadband Voice (from the 1st April 2005).

It now costs:

4.99 a month for the Evening and Weekend Plan (similar to BT Together
Option 2)
10.99 a month for the Anytime Plan (similar to BT Together Option 3)

Regards
Sunil

But until they give geographicals number like Vonage, Sipgate, gradwell,
Skype-in etc.. it's still crap. Calling 05* numbers is not free in any
mobile tariff, nor can it be used as free minutes with the option plans
normal BT and cable customers have, and most incoming international calls
dont get through because the routing provider doesnt reconize the prefixes
of BBV. In addition when you're bank, landlord, accountant,
a-company-you-are-purchasing-a-big-LCD from asks for a landline for security
of whatever they aint going to accept a BBV number. Bad planning on BTs
part.

Old April 17th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:18 GMT, "Matt" wrote:

But until they give geographicals number like Vonage, Sipgate, gradwell,
Skype-in etc.. it's still crap.

I'm sure Sunil might agree with you, but was just posting for information
(useful, even if others offer better facilities/value). You seem to have
omitted the cost of outgoing calls in your comments, which might make the
BT BV service ideal for certain types of use, of course. Peter M.
Old April 17th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Sunil Sood wrote:
As I haven't seen it mentioned here yet..

BT have lowered the price of BT Broadband Voice (from the 1st April 2005).

It now costs:

4.99 a month for the Evening and Weekend Plan (similar to BT Together
Option 2)
10.99 a month for the Anytime Plan (similar to BT Together Option 3)

Regards
Sunil

I get the Anytime plan equivalent through Nildram for 4.99 a month with
a max call length of 2hrs instead of one and a lower Broadband price.

The other BT lines for the children are costing me 16.50 a month for
Option 2. Its almost cheaper to have them converted to Broadband and
get the Nildram "Option 3" Voice package than run them as straight BT
Option 2 packages. Does anyone know who offers the cheapest Broadband
plus Voice "Option 2 or 3" package? Not really bothered about the
Broadband quality as it won't be used much.

Tony
Old April 17th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631" wrote in message
s.net...
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:18 GMT, "Matt" wrote:

But until they give geographicals number like Vonage, Sipgate, gradwell,
Skype-in etc.. it's still crap.

I'm sure Sunil might agree with you, but was just posting for information
(useful, even if others offer better facilities/value). You seem to have
omitted the cost of outgoing calls in your comments, which might make the
BT BV service ideal for certain types of use, of course. Peter M.

Yes, I might well agree with Matt.. - though if big companies can't accept
non 01/02 numbers that may say more about their systems than anything else.

Still, I think one of the reasons BBV is popular is due to the "free"
equipment.. - as well as suiting some people's calling patterns

As an aside, I wonder what number range BT are giving out these days..

I know they were giving out 0551 numbers in the g6 charge band which cost
5p/min to call (from a BT line) but they have recently announced a new g21
charge band* (covering 0551 143-149) for "Calls to New Voice Services"
which are to be included as standard "UK Calls" in the BT Together tariffs
(i.e. they will be "free calls" on BT Together 2 and 3)

I wonder if this indicates a future change (or they may just try issuing
geographic numbers - but I don't know if Ofcom would like that as I imagine
they want companies to use the 056 code)

Regards
Sunil
*Operative date: 08.04.2005

Old April 17th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Corlett

Matt wrote:
[...]
But until they give geographicals number like Vonage, Sipgate, gradwell,
Skype-in etc.. it's still crap. Calling 05* numbers is not free in any
mobile tariff,

When 05511 numbers first appeared, we had a play, and they appear to
be inclusive in ED50 minutes, and are charged by Virgin Mobile at
standard rates. Routing from some tinpot UK telcos was spotty, and
charges were fairly random, if they charged at all.

I suspect this means that they're treated like geographic numbers on
all OVP and ringfenced Orange tariffs. It may also be inclusive on
Your Plan, although it'd be the first non-geographic number that is...

--
It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously.
- Sir Peter Ustinov
Old April 17th 05, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article t, Peter
Morgan - 0870 432 9631 says...
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:18 GMT, "Matt" wrote:

But until they give geographicals number like Vonage, Sipgate, gradwell,
Skype-in etc.. it's still crap.

I'm sure Sunil might agree with you, but was just posting for information
(useful, even if others offer better facilities/value). You seem to have
omitted the cost of outgoing calls in your comments, which might make the
BT BV service ideal for certain types of use, of course. Peter M.

Been trying this out which makes the BT offering look a little poor
http://voipbuster.com/

Geographical calls within the UK and some other countries are free and
they give users who buy credit an 0845 number. A friend of mine has
installed and used it, now making calls to his family in New Zealand at
1p a minute. He rings me free. Voice quality on the service seems
extremely good. It's PAYG rather than a fixed fee.

(usual disclaimer, no personal links to the service etc...)

FR
Old April 17th 05, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 17 Apr 2005 14:23, Flying Rat wrote:

Been trying this out which makes the BT offering look a little poor

depends... when BT BV was first offered I think it had a number of network
services (including ACR, which now costs 4 quid a month)... haven't checked
all the features lately, but that alone, and the possible 'put time wasters
off' factor of a non-geographic number might still be a benefit to some

FWIW, I have a Sipgate number, and use 1899 or 18866 for outgoing calls, but
that's not to say I'm dead against BT BV for the possibility of ACR... PGM.
Old April 18th 05, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Corlett

Flying Rat wrote:
[...]
Been trying this out which makes the BT offering look a little poor
http://voipbuster.com/

VoipBuster don't provide you with an ATA, just a closed software
"solution", so you're not comparing like with like.

--
Love is not enough. It must be the foundation, the cornerstone- but not the
complete structure. It is much too pliable, too yielding.