OPINION - AVG or Norton?

Old April 17th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

Default OPINION - AVG or Norton?

Norton licence is about to expire in a few days, and I've just downloaded a
30-day trial of AVG professional. It's isolated 2 Trojans that Norton
couldn't shift. Required a reboot, nonetheless, but I don't mind.

Has anyone got any definitive views on which product is better? I may plump
for AVG free after the 30 days. Is this a wise move? I know the 2 year
licence is only approx 20, but if I can get away with having the free
version, I will.

Cheers,

Simon

Old April 17th 05, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Simon Ough wrote:
Norton licence is about to expire in a few days, and I've just downloaded a
30-day trial of AVG professional. It's isolated 2 Trojans that Norton
couldn't shift. Required a reboot, nonetheless, but I don't mind.

Has anyone got any definitive views on which product is better? I may plump
for AVG free after the 30 days. Is this a wise move? I know the 2 year
licence is only approx 20, but if I can get away with having the free
version, I will.

I switched from Norton to AVG a year ago (full version) and haven't
looked back one iota. Its much faster at processing income mail and
just less intrusive apart from the update e-mails which can arrive
several times a day. Still I'd rather that than the Norton approach of
consolidating them all up into one update while leaving you vulnerable.

Don't be tempted by the offer of the package with Kerio Firewall though.
I did that and its a pretty crap product IMO and will be in the bin
when its year's up.

Tony
Old April 17th 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Salt

Tony Raven wrote:
Simon Ough wrote:
[...]

Have a look at Avast!,a superb free product IMOH.Install it and forget it,it
even scans messages off the server in Mailwasher and Newsgroup messages.

Sam Salt

Old April 17th 05, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
N. Joy

Hi
Had some problems with Norton on Dial Up and all they said was "buy 2005" -
strewth I'd only bought 2004 2 months earlier - and they weren't offering
any discounts.
Assumed support had changed hands and they wouldn't / couldn't support 2004.
SO ...... mine's due for renewal in a couple of months and I'm watching
carefully, but sure as hell it isn't going to be NIS.
With interest & good luck to you
Norm

Old April 17th 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Well personally I never liked AVG - my first impression was that it felt
very Fisher Price like: "My First Antivirus". The update facility is one
thing that could do with sorting out.
The default configuration is something like "Attempt update every day at
3am, if I'm not on then bugger it. I'll only force a check if I haven't
been on at 3am for two weeks". I haven't come across the email updates
you mention though all I know is that we've had to clean several PCs
riddled with crap that AVG didn't pick up.

My preference is Avast! (http://www.avast.com). I don't like the skin you
are stuck with if you don't register the program but overall it is very
light on resources - updates quickly and frequently (I think I've had
four or five updates this weekend alone) and hasn't let a single thing
past on anything we use it on.
We had an old PC that took 3 hours to scan with Norton - Avast! had it
scanned and cleaned inside of 15 minutes without missing anything.

--
Colin
Old April 17th 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:41:50 +0100, "Simon Ough"
wrote:

Norton licence is about to expire in a few days, and I've just downloaded a
30-day trial of AVG professional. It's isolated 2 Trojans that Norton
couldn't shift. Required a reboot, nonetheless, but I don't mind.

Has anyone got any definitive views on which product is better? I may plump
for AVG free after the 30 days. Is this a wise move? I know the 2 year
licence is only approx 20, but if I can get away with having the free
version, I will.

From all the comments I have seen, in a comparison between Norton and
just about ANY other product, Norton is doing well when it even
manages second best :-)

Seriously, AVG has a MUCH better reputation. Personally, I think
Avast! is even better (and is also free for personal use).

Old April 17th 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Morris

"Simon Ough" wrote in message
Norton licence is about to expire in a few days, and I've just downloaded

30-day trial of AVG professional. It's isolated 2 Trojans that Norton
couldn't shift. Required a reboot, nonetheless, but I don't mind.

Has anyone got any definitive views on which product is better? I may

plump
for AVG free after the 30 days. Is this a wise move? I know the 2 year
licence is only approx 20, but if I can get away with having the free
version, I will.

Cheers,

Simon

Fwiw, I've had AVG Free for a couple of years with no operational or virus
problems. The auto-update feature works well if you set it for a time when
you are normally likely to be online, and you can update manually any time
if you think you may have missed something. I also have Spybot installed.
Trevor Morris

Old April 17th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Simon Ough" wrote in message
Norton licence is about to expire in a few days, and I've just downloaded
30-day trial of AVG professional. It's isolated 2 Trojans that Norton
couldn't shift. Required a reboot, nonetheless, but I don't mind.

Has anyone got any definitive views on which product is better? I may
plump
for AVG free after the 30 days. Is this a wise move? I know the 2 year
licence is only approx 20, but if I can get away with having the free
version, I will.

Of the clients we support with AVG and with Norton, those with AVG have
*far* less problems.

Old April 17th 05, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"cw" wrote in message
Well personally I never liked AVG - my first impression was that it felt
very Fisher Price like: "My First Antivirus". The update facility is one
thing that could do with sorting out.
The default configuration is something like "Attempt update every day at
3am, if I'm not on then bugger it. I'll only force a check if I haven't
been on at 3am for two weeks".

No longer true with AVG 7.

Old April 18th 05, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Norton licence is about to expire in a few days, and I've just downloaded a
30-day trial of AVG professional. It's isolated 2 Trojans that Norton
couldn't shift. Required a reboot, nonetheless, but I don't mind.

Norton used to be ok - now its simply a "big name" that makes sales based
on that alone IMO - I think they lost the plot about 1999-2000...

I`ve also seen a fully up to date Nortons Internet Security ignore an
active variant of agobot, and miss another dormant virus on the drive in
the last couple of weeks. Sysclean (a one-shot get me out of trouble
virus killer from Trend) spotted and cleared the active one in seconds,
and made mincemeat out of the dormant one during a full scan.

Oh, and bypass McAfee too...