Exchange distance checker

Old April 18th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jez

Default Exchange distance checker

Hi, anyone have an address for the site which can tell me how far I am from
my local telephone exchange?

Cheers

jez.

Old April 18th 05, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

"jez" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
Hi, anyone have an address for the site which can tell me how far I am

from
my local telephone exchange?

If it is to measure the distance of cable, as far as I know there isn't one
as the cables can go allsorts of routes before finally getting to your
house.

What I done was find my local exchange and then had a look at MS Autoroute
and measured the distance from exchange to my house via road. All it really
proved was the likeliest shortest distance to my exchange.

Old April 18th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

On the Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:57:01 +0100, jez uttered forth the
following...
Hi, anyone have an address for the site which can tell me how far I am from
my local telephone exchange?

Call 17070
Old April 18th 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

On the Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:57:01 +0100, jez uttered forth the
following...
Hi, anyone have an address for the site which can tell me how far I am
from
my local telephone exchange?

Call 17070

For further deals of what the 17070 facility means see below: -

-----------------------

Since people often mention the 'quiet line test' or ask 'how do I find out
how far I'm away from the exchange', here's some simple instructions

The BT line test facility can be accessed from any BT (or WorldOnline) line
by dialling 17070.

Quiet Line Test

Unplug any extention phones, extention cables, answer machines or fax
(anything except the phone you will use to do the test!).

Plug a normal touch tone phone directly into the BT master socket.

Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test)

You should hear 'Quiet Line Test' and then silence, there should be no pops,
clicks, whistles, buzzing etc. If there is noise on the line, make sure it's
not your phones connection to the socket (wiggle it about a bit) and that
you are using the master socket. If you are sure its the line making the
noise then dial BT (or WorldOnline) and report the fault, they should be
able to sort it out. Remember that 'mis-reporting' a fault (e.g. if it turns
out to be your phone, extention cord etc.) may be charged a call-out fee by
BT (/WOL).

any probs? see It doesn't work? (below)

Distance From Exchange

Dial the same line test number as the quiet line test (17070). Then press
option 3 (fast test) then press option 1 (to say you are authorised, don't
worry about 'not being officially authorised'). The press option 2 (ring
back test). Then put the phone down.

You will get called back by the test facility within about 10 seconds, one
of the bits of information given will be distance from exchange (in
kilometres).

*The distance result may not be accurate if you have a 'DACs' fitted. It is
not 100% accurate but does serve as a guide.

any probs? see It doesn't work? (below)

It doesn't work?

You need a BT line (or WorldOnline).

You need to use a touch tone phone (don't think it works without one).

You have caller line id (CLI) blocked, if this is the case then on dialling
17070 the message will include 'there is no CLI detected for this circuit'.
You can get round this by dialling a prefix before 17070, the prefix is
1470, so the full line test number will be 1470 17070.

Old April 18th 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , Steven
Campbell writes
"jez" wrote in message
news:[email protected] teranews...
Hi, anyone have an address for the site which can tell me how far I am

from
my local telephone exchange?

If it is to measure the distance of cable, as far as I know there isn't one
as the cables can go allsorts of routes before finally getting to your
house.

What I done was find my local exchange and then had a look at MS Autoroute
and measured the distance from exchange to my house via road. All it really
proved was the likeliest shortest distance to my exchange.

Like you point out the cables go always. My exchange is about 4.5 Km
line of sight, but 8.2 Km by the cable distance.

The method I used to test the line distance was -

Ring 17070

Select option 3
Authorise by pressing 1

Now choose option 2

Again choose 2 and hang up

Assuming you do not have ADSL or ISDN then the system will ring you back
to confirm the line is OK and the distance from the exchange. Certainly
this was the case a few years ago.

If this does not give the line length then you need to play with the
other menu options until the right one gives you the distance.

NOTE: The phrase "clear down" is BT speak for "hang up & wait"

--
John Clark
Old April 18th 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 18 Apr 2005 15:44, "CheggersPop" wrote:

Distance From Exchange

Dial the same line test number as the quiet line test (17070). Then press
option 3 (fast test) then press option 1 (to say you are authorised,

Have you tried this recently ? I remember many, many months ago, reading
it had been removed from the test facility via 17070 (probably because too
many domestic users were trying it to check for ADSL service !) Peter M.

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old April 18th 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

CheggersPop wrote:
On the Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:57:01 +0100, jez uttered forth the

Your information is out of date, 17070 doesn't give any indication of line
length, possibly due to all the non BT users trying to find out if they can,
or cannot have ADSL & then being let down as the test results weren't set in
stone.

Old April 18th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

On the Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:57:01 +0100, jez uttered forth the

Your information is out of date, 17070 doesn't give any indication of line
length, possibly due to all the non BT users trying to find out if they
can, or cannot have ADSL & then being let down as the test results weren't
set in stone.

Fair enough.......my bad! Only trying to

(".)