Wiring Problems SNR 18dB on Test Socket but 6dB from front of faceplate

Old April 18th 05, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pzboyz

Default Wiring Problems SNR 18dB on Test Socket but 6dB from front of faceplate

Subject says it all really.

How could my home wiring really affect this so badly?

Now my faceplate was changed when BT removed the ISDN box I had so that
I could be ADSL enabled.

pzboyz
Old April 18th 05, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:48:37 UTC, pzboyz wrote:

Subject says it all really.

How could my home wiring really affect this so badly?

Is it the wiring or is it the phones/digiboxes etc.?

Test it again with the faceplate on, but everything unplugged all over
the house. Then put them back one by one if the SNR is OK with nothing
plugged in.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 18th 05, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pzboyz

Bob Eager wrote:

Is it the wiring or is it the phones/digiboxes etc.?

Test it again with the faceplate on, but everything unplugged all over
the house. Then put them back one by one if the SNR is OK with nothing
plugged in.

Thanks Bob, had started to do this ....

The news, connecting directly to the Test Socket and no phones
connected, the SNR is 18dB. With a Splitter connected, SNR drops to
15dB. From here I have two options, I plug in an old style (analog,
cheapest I could get) phone and SNR changes by 3dB down to 12dB. If I
connect a DECT base (Philips Kala 6523) the SNR plummets to 4dB.

So ... drum roll please ... is this a known problem with Philips DECT bases?

pzboyz.
Old April 18th 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

pzboyz wrote:
Subject says it all really.

How could my home wiring really affect this so badly?

Now my faceplate was changed when BT removed the ISDN box I had so
that I could be ADSL enabled.

Have you got extensions fitted to the faceplate, if so try disconnecting the
bell wire (pin 3). Most if not all plugin filters contain ringing
capacitors & the unbalanced bell wire can act as an aeriel which feeds
directly across the ringing capacitor in your master onto pin 5 &
would/could be the cause of the drastic reduction of your SNR. It's not
accepted practice for a BT engineer to do it, but if it works for
you........well what more can I say.

& with that I'll bow out before the flames start & the bullets start to fly
from certain corners....

Old April 18th 05, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pzboyz

kraftee wrote:

Have you got extensions fitted to the faceplate, if so try disconnecting the
bell wire (pin 3). Most if not all plugin filters contain ringing
capacitors & the unbalanced bell wire can act as an aeriel

So to be clear, to be rear of the faceplate (the removable part you
unscrew to reveal the test socket), only two pairs of wires are
connected the green/white pair are not connected, so does this mean the
bell wire is not connected any how?

pzboyz
Old April 19th 05, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"pzboyz" wrote in message
kraftee wrote:

Have you got extensions fitted to the faceplate, if so try disconnecting
the bell wire (pin 3). Most if not all plugin filters contain ringing
capacitors & the unbalanced bell wire can act as an aeriel

So to be clear, to be rear of the faceplate (the removable part you
unscrew to reveal the test socket), only two pairs of wires are connected
the green/white pair are not connected, so does this mean the bell wire is
not connected any how?

The greens are spares, the bell wire is orange/white...disconnect the
orange/white and white/orange (pins 3+4)...

Old April 19th 05, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

pzboyz wrote in
:

So ... drum roll please ... is this a known problem with Philips DECT
bases?

No problems with a Philips DECT phone here.

--
Phil
http://www.weezer.plus.com/
Old April 19th 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JammyGit

The greens are spares, the bell wire is orange/white...disconnect the
orange/white and white/orange (pins 3+4)...

but if you disconnect these wires, does that mean any telephones connected
to this extension will not ring ?

Old April 19th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

JammyGit wrote:
The greens are spares, the bell wire is orange/white...disconnect the
orange/white and white/orange (pins 3+4)...

but if you disconnect these wires, does that mean any telephones
connected to this extension will not ring ?

As I said in my original posting most filters have a bell capacitor built in
so yes your phone will still ring as they will be connected via a filter
(all phones on a ADSL circuit should be filtered)..

Old April 19th 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pzboyz

kraftee wrote:

& with that I'll bow out before the flames start & the bullets start to fly
from certain corners....

Well, it works for me. Disconnecting the orange/white wires from the
master socket that feeds to the internal extension sockets fixes this
problem. The Philips DECT base still reduces the SNR by quite a margin
though.

Anyhow, I am actually an Electronic Engineer and can understand the
reasons why this will work.

Have also just ordered a filtered master socket faceplate from Clarity
and will see how well this works. If not, then I will send an unfiltered
signal to the internal extensions and put filtered faceplates on all of
those so that phone connected to them will *ring*.

pzboyz.