Plusnet knock back on 1 meg service - records incorrect

Old April 19th 05, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marky

Default Plusnet knock back on 1 meg service - records incorrect

Crazy But true this needs to go on lol

Ok 4 Houses on a same row, and ALL using exact same telephone pole.

66 Currently shows as 512k Only (Even though there on wanadoo 1meg)
65 Currently Shows as 1meg
64 Currently shows as 512k only (Even though there with Aol 1 meg)
63 Currently shows as 512k --- my house currently with Plusnet

I had the 1 meg service from September until Jan this year so I know 1 meg
works on my line - I tried to go back to 1 meg and Plusnet tell me it
fails..

Nothing has changed we all use the same telepgraph poles but for some
strange reason plusnet cant get me back to my 1 meg connection, Hopefully
plusnet can sort it out otherwise I'm packing my stuff and moving on, at
least it proves the BT Wholesale Search pages are faulty

Old April 19th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Marky wrote:
Crazy But true this needs to go on lol

Ok 4 Houses on a same row, and ALL using exact same telephone pole.

There can be variance between adjacent pairs in the same cable back to the
exchange.
Some of BTs cable in the UK is very, very old, and in some areas has a
large number of degraded pairs in each cable.
Old April 19th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
String

Marky wrote:
Crazy But true this needs to go on lol

Ok 4 Houses on a same row, and ALL using exact same telephone pole.

66 Currently shows as 512k Only (Even though there on wanadoo 1meg)
65 Currently Shows as 1meg
64 Currently shows as 512k only (Even though there with Aol 1 meg)
63 Currently shows as 512k --- my house currently with Plusnet

I had the 1 meg service from September until Jan this year so I know 1 meg
works on my line - I tried to go back to 1 meg and Plusnet tell me it
fails..

Nothing has changed we all use the same telepgraph poles but for some
strange reason plusnet cant get me back to my 1 meg connection, Hopefully
plusnet can sort it out otherwise I'm packing my stuff and moving on, at
least it proves the BT Wholesale Search pages are faulty

It maybe the BT wholesale guesstimator doing this which is worse than
useless and inaccurate in most cases as opposed to plusnet.

FWIW i know my original whoosh test was out by 10db (but records not
updated with correct result) so im in a similar problem with orders
being rejected.
Ive also seen lines with far worse loss and SNRs than mine upgraded in
speed whereas mine doesnt get past the guesstimator due to the data there.

Its BT at fault not plusnet here. BTWs database is very very inaccurate
but getting them to update/change anything of it is near impossible.
Old April 19th 05, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mogweed

"Marky" wrote in message
Crazy But true this needs to go on lol

Nothing has changed we all use the same telepgraph poles but for some
strange reason plusnet cant get me back to my 1 meg connection, Hopefully
plusnet can sort it out otherwise I'm packing my stuff and moving on, at
least it proves the BT Wholesale Search pages are faulty

You say that nothing has changed but you don't know that. Underground cables
live in a very unforgiving environment - wet joints, corrosion, vermin
attacks, JCB rip-ups etc., etc. What were your line loss and signal-to-noise
ratio figures when you first got ADSL and what are they now?

The electrical characteristics of a telephone line and ADSL are very complex
and can be affected by many things and even different pairs of wires in the
same cable can have different characteristics. For instance, I went out to a
fault the other day and found a wet 100-pair joint in a Sleeve 31A and the
position of the joint in the box was such that around 25 or 30 pairs out of
the hundred were actually lying in a pool of water. Because of that, those
25 or so lines may well have had different signal-noise or line loss figures
than the others in the same cable if someone were to measure them under
those conditions.

Telephone lines deteriorate with age and a zillion other things. When I got
ADSL 3 years ago my line loss was 32dB but it's now 35dB - ok for me but if
you were borderline for 1Mb at the beginning and it's deteriorated, you may
well be stuck with 512Kb.

Mogweed.

Old April 19th 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marky

It turns out BT Know about the problem with the website guessing the speeds,
lad 2 doors up is using 1 meg but he forced wanadoo to do a whoosh test to
prove to bt there search pages are incorrect - but according to BT he should
only be geting 512 but in fact hes on 1 meg.

The problem I've got is plusnet just wipe it off as not our fault and do
nothing - But I suspect its time to move on plus' net has become a joke ISP
in the last year, If I dont get answer that there going to try to fix the
problem I'm off - if 2 other ISP's on the same street are on 1 meg and it
says they should only be able to get 512 then i'll be moving to one of there
isp's.

Old April 19th 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ian Stirling wrote:
Marky wrote:
Crazy But true this needs to go on lol

Ok 4 Houses on a same row, and ALL using exact same telephone pole.

There can be variance between adjacent pairs in the same cable back
to the exchange.
Some of BTs cable in the UK is very, very old, and in some areas has a
large number of degraded pairs in each cable.

It's a little bit more complicated than that as, unless the pole is fed
direct from the exchange, the pole is fed from a PCP (green box, used to be
made out of cast iron, now the newer ones seem to be made out of anything
they can lay their hands on) & you can have several cables, all of different
quality, all of differing lengths feeding back to the exchange.

The only way forward, in my experience, is to get a BT ADSL engeering visit
who will test the line & make sure that the OP is on the best routing
possible.

It is possible that the cables feeding the pole are damaged or faulty as
well, but I won't go there at this juncture

Old April 19th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

As per my post in t'other forum, you got knocked back by the automated
system which will always have its limits. If you've raised it an agent
should be able to push through a manual order due to the history of the
line.
Any ISPs automated system would knock you back for the same reasons and
you'd have to ask for a manual order.

--
Colin