Why does 'business' broadband cost more?

Old April 19th 05, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Why does 'business' broadband cost more?

We will shortly (4th May) be ADSL enabled so will be replacing our
existing ISDN with broadband. I used to be a contractor and now my
wife uses my Ltd. company for her freelance work, the company pays for
our internet connection.

Why do 'business' broadband connections cost so much more? It's not
as if our business uses the connection very heavily, it's my (and my
son's) personal use that uses it most.

Is it just (as for a BT telephone) that you get better back up etc.
with a business connection?

--
Chris Green
Old April 19th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On 19 Apr 2005 15:08:48 GMT, wrote:

We will shortly (4th May) be ADSL enabled so will be replacing our
existing ISDN with broadband. I used to be a contractor and now my
wife uses my Ltd. company for her freelance work, the company pays for
our internet connection.

Why do 'business' broadband connections cost so much more? It's not
as if our business uses the connection very heavily, it's my (and my
son's) personal use that uses it most.

Is it just (as for a BT telephone) that you get better back up etc.
with a business connection?

Probably, with most ISPs. Sometimes you do get slightly different
options, but I have never seen anything to justify the additional
cost.

Some of them *require* you to have a business account if it will be
used for business at all. Others have slightly more flexible approach.

One ISP currently says:
47.1 You are required to sign-up to an appropriate account type
depending on your required utilisation. Home accounts are provided for
residential consumers, if you wish to use your account commercially
then you must sign-up to a business account or Teleworker account
where appropriate. For guidance, we consider commercial use to be at a
level above that which is running a part time business or supporting
any kind of hobby. Business accounts must be used if the account is to
be used from any official business premises while Teleworkers are
considered to be commercial use of a residential connection.

I would say that most freelancers would not be using it heavily
enough to come under what they class as "commercial use".
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Hm..what's this red button fo:=/07NO CARRIER

Old April 19th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"Eric Lee" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:08:48 +0100, usenet wrote:

We will shortly (4th May) be ADSL enabled so will be replacing our
existing ISDN with broadband. I used to be a contractor and now my wife
uses my Ltd. company for her freelance work, the company pays for our
internet connection.

Why do 'business' broadband connections cost so much more? It's not as
if our business uses the connection very heavily, it's my (and my son's)
personal use that uses it most.

Is it just (as for a BT telephone) that you get better back up etc. with
a business connection?

Like Business bank accounts, the market is less competitive so will stand
a fatter subscription

And, most companies pay VAT, so they can charge the same price excluding vat
that they charge home users including it.

Gaz

Eric Lee

Old April 19th 05, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
londoncityslicker

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On 19 Apr 2005 15:08:48 GMT, wrote:

Why do 'business' broadband connections cost so much more? It's not
as if our business uses the connection very heavily, it's my (and my
son's) personal use that uses it most.

usually it is provided on a BT Office IPstream circuit with "20:1"
contention rather than the "50:1" Home equivalent.

ISPs usually bundle more services into business accounts and the
exchange connection to the BT network is/was separate to the Home
users so affected by different factors.

Just buy a home connection and be done with it.

Phil

One of the reason is contention ratio, the other big one for business is
you'll get an SLA,
so customer service is a lot better (not always though) and things get fixed
a lot quicker with a good SLA in place.
You also have your own account manager who you can phone 24x7 to sort out
anything.
And compensation if things go wrong.
Generally everything is 10X more responsive to your needs.
It's worth the extra money for piece of mind. Or your entire business goes
up the spout because there is
no access to the network because you've cut corners.

But yes, it is rather expensive.

A.

Old April 19th 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

londoncityslicker wrote:
[...]

Nope there IS no SLA as the supplier doesn't offer one.....

Old April 20th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:56:45 +0100, "Gaz" wrote:

And, most companies pay VAT, so they can charge the same price excluding vat
that they charge home users including it.

makes no sense, businesses look at ex-VAT prices which are lower for
Home products than Office and in any case the differences under
discussion are more than 17.5%.

Phil