confusing taskbar icon

Old April 20th 05, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default confusing taskbar icon

Hi,

As somebody who doesn't claim to be an expert at all this computery
stuff, could somebody please explain to me:

I have a BT 2mb account, having worked my way up from dialup, through
512k and 1mb. I have a Belkin wireless router servicing 3 PCs, all
running XP SP2.

When you hold your cursor over the little 'double green-screen' icon in
the taskbar (the one that flashes when you are sending/receiving data)
it says 'Speed:' and then the speed. When I upgraded from 512k to 1mb,
it changed from 512 to 100.0. :-) However, when it changed from 1mb to
2mb, the value didn't change. :-( I contacted BT who did a little
download test, and they confirmed that I was running at 2mb. So why
hasn't the icon changed?

Any non-technical answer would be gratefully received.

Old April 20th 05, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

As somebody who doesn't claim to be an expert at all this computery
stuff, could somebody please explain to me:

I have a BT 2mb account, having worked my way up from dialup, through
512k and 1mb. I have a Belkin wireless router servicing 3 PCs, all
running XP SP2.

When you hold your cursor over the little 'double green-screen' icon in
the taskbar (the one that flashes when you are sending/receiving data)
it says 'Speed:' and then the speed. When I upgraded from 512k to 1mb,
it changed from 512 to 100.0. :-) However, when it changed from 1mb to
2mb, the value didn't change. :-( I contacted BT who did a little
download test, and they confirmed that I was running at 2mb. So why
hasn't the icon changed?

Any non-technical answer would be gratefully received.

Just check one possible reason / red herring,
when you "hover" over it , does it say
"Internet Connection" or "Local Area Connection x" ??

Old April 20th 05, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

When you hold your cursor over the little 'double green-screen' icon in
the taskbar (the one that flashes when you are sending/receiving data)
it says 'Speed:' and then the speed. When I upgraded from 512k to 1mb,
it changed from 512 to 100.0. :-) However, when it changed from 1mb to
2mb, the value didn't change. :-( I contacted BT who did a little
download test, and they confirmed that I was running at 2mb. So why
hasn't the icon changed?

Are you sure it wasn't when you upgraded to the router it changed to
100.0Mbps ?
That would be your connection speed between you and the router, not the
speed of your net connection.

Old April 20th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Yes folks, it does say local area connection. Doh. Does this mean that
having 2meg broadband is a waste of time? The belkin router has
transmission set to 'fully automatic' whatever that means, although 2mb
is an option.

Old April 20th 05, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes folks, it does say local area connection. Doh. Does this mean that
having 2meg broadband is a waste of time? The belkin router has
transmission set to 'fully automatic' whatever that means, although 2mb
is an option.

no its not a waste of time:
your connection between PC and router is 50 times faster than the connection
between router and internet = nothing to worry about

Old April 20th 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yozzi

"phantom" wrote in message
k...
wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes folks, it does say local area connection. Doh. Does this mean that
having 2meg broadband is a waste of time? The belkin router has
transmission set to 'fully automatic' whatever that means, although 2mb
is an option.

no its not a waste of time:
your connection between PC and router is 50 times faster than the
connection
between router and internet = nothing to worry about

Nevermind nothing to worry about, this is normal. It *never* went from 512
to 100 when you upgraded to 1mb broadband....