Remote video surveillance over ADSL

Old April 20th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

Default Remote video surveillance over ADSL

"Peter" wrote in message
Can anyone offer comments/suggestions on this? I've seen various off
the shelf systems but nothing quite what I want. I also don't want to
spend many thousands on it; I know what the parts cost.

For a quality (not cheap) product have a look at
http://www.dedicatedmicros.com/uk/pr...?product_id=41 For
cheaper stuff try www.hhenrys.co.uk

Paul

Old April 20th 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Paul G wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

Can anyone offer comments/suggestions on this? I've seen various off
the shelf systems but nothing quite what I want. I also don't want to
spend many thousands on it; I know what the parts cost.

For a quality (not cheap) product have a look at
http://www.dedicatedmicros.com/uk/pr...?product_id=41 For
cheaper stuff try www.hhenrys.co.uk

Paul

Not only do you have to get the correct camera, also be very wary of
security over the internet. Axis cameras have been vulnerable to a url
bug whereby an extra '\' in the url can give admin access in seconds.
Others can be searched for in Google and full control gained - try
pasting these search strings in Google for examples:

intitle:liveapplet inurl:LvAppl
inurl:"ViewerFrame?Mode="
intitle:snc-rz30 inurl:home/
intitle:"Live View / - AXIS"

I like checking out the dancefloor at Bo's Live Saloon in Alice Springs
- Great fun at about 2pm uk time - see if you can find the dancefloorwebcam!

But seriously - dont allow the buggers in!
Old April 21st 05, 06:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Peter wrote:
johnydeath wrote

Not only do you have to get the correct camera, also be very wary of
security over the internet. Axis cameras have been vulnerable to a url
bug whereby an extra '\' in the url can give admin access in seconds.
Others can be searched for in Google and full control gained - try
pasting these search strings in Google for examples:

intitle:liveapplet inurl:LvAppl
inurl:"ViewerFrame?Mode="
intitle:snc-rz30 inurl:home/
intitle:"Live View / - AXIS"

That's really funny - where does one paste the strings into? I tried
pasting them into the google advanced search (4 lines available) but
it found no matches.

I like checking out the dancefloor at Bo's Live Saloon in Alice Springs
- Great fun at about 2pm uk time - see if you can find the dancefloorwebcam!

But seriously - dont allow the buggers in!

Presumably if the website is passworded (it will be on a unix server)
then google (or anyone else) can't get in to find what's on it.

But that it the point - they are not passworded and allow full control
of the camera inc zoom & pan. Some are intentionally public accessible
but there are a hell of a lot that are not.

I've just tried the stings again - just cut and paste into the main
Google search and they all work for me.

What people also do not realise is that some of these cameras are
mini-pcs - you can access them and use them as a stepping stone for
infiltration into their internal networks. Scary.