Remote video surveillance over ADSL

Old April 21st 05, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Knight.

Default Remote video surveillance over ADSL

"Peter" wrote in message

The video cameras would need to be low-light (hard to quantify but
basically low indoor domestic levels) which rules out the cheap
(sub-300) webcams. I've played with a few (e.g. Axis 205) and they
really are poor. I have a choice of using conventional video cameras
(some of which are available down to 0.01 lux especially if B&W), or
ethernet or wireless connected ones. But sometimes the light level
will be almost sunlight.

Even the 1000 Axis cameras are useless after dark, not even good in low
domestic lighting. However their latest servers are good so a better
solution is to run an analogue camera into a server.

I run six such systems, take a look at www.sld.co.uk who have pdfs specs,
user manuals and prices on line. An EDC-141 camera can see better in the
dark than I can.

I will also need to record video (can be low frame rates) for the past
2 weeks. A big hard drive in a PC..

I found it simpler and more reliable to use a dedicated hard disc recorder.

One nice feature would be to detect movement, and then transmit jpeg
images by email, say every 10 seconds, until movement stops.

Easy enough with the Axis server or the dedicated recorder.

Can anyone offer comments/suggestions on this? I've seen various off
the shelf systems but nothing quite what I want. I also don't want to
spend many thousands on it; I know what the parts cost.

Expect to spend several. :-(
--
Malcolm

Old April 21st 05, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Knight.

"Peter" wrote in message

"Malcolm Knight." wrote

Even the 1000 Axis cameras are useless after dark, not even good in low
domestic lighting. However their latest servers are good so a better
solution is to run an analogue camera into a server.

Why do you think this is? Surely all are CCD cameras anyway, and the
ethernet versions just have the camcorder-type bits in them (video
ADC, compression) and a www server.

There is a wide choice of cameras but few with inbuilt servers so you have a
much wider choice of mix and match if you buy separate units.

Why those with inbuilt servers all appear to be less good than those without
I've no idea. I only know that I own two Axis camera/servers and six
ordinary cameras and there is simply no comparison. One of the Axis will be
replaced next month with an IR sensitive auto B-W/Colour switching analogue
camera plus a separate server. The total cost will be almost exactly the
same as an Axis 2420 camera/server but I know the latter is totally
outclassed for low light work. Not even remotely similar. I merely wanted to
stop you wasting as much money as I did in the early days.
..--
Malcolm