Microfilter question

Old April 21st 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Microfilter question

We get ADSL on May 4th (BT willing).

The only place I need the ADSL connection is in my study where the BT
POTS line master socket is. There are several (like eight or nine)
phone sockets running from the same master socket, not all in use but
do get used occasionally.

Can I just put one microfilter in the master socket and then connect
all the phone extensions to the phone output of that one microfilter?

--
Chris Green
Old April 21st 05, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Yes!

Peter Crosland

Old April 21st 05, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Cain

wrote in message ...
We get ADSL on May 4th (BT willing).

The only place I need the ADSL connection is in my study where the BT
POTS line master socket is. There are several (like eight or nine)
phone sockets running from the same master socket, not all in use but
do get used occasionally.

Can I just put one microfilter in the master socket and then connect
all the phone extensions to the phone output of that one microfilter?

Hmm .. I would say no. Mainly because the ring capacitor in most filters
will only pass enough current to ring one or two handsets.

Old April 21st 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I would add that the solution using a filered socket suggested by Nigel is
the best solution. In particular you get a good quality filter rather than
some of the rubbish plug in ones.

Peter Crosland

Old April 22nd 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Tiscali Tim wrote:

We get ADSL on May 4th (BT willing).

The only place I need the ADSL connection is in my study where the BT
POTS line master socket is. There are several (like eight or nine)
phone sockets running from the same master socket, not all in use but
do get used occasionally.

Can I just put one microfilter in the master socket and then connect
all the phone extensions to the phone output of that one microfilter?

It *may* work, but a far better solution - both technically and
aestetically - is to use a filtered faceplate (Solwise or Clarity) on the
master socket. Your extension wiring will definitely work with that (it only
*may* work with a plug-in filter), and it's neat because the extension
wiring will be connected to the *back* of the faceplate - rather than having
a cascade of tat plugged into the front, looking like a Christmas tree.

Yes, OK regarding the questionable quality (or size of ring capacitor)
in plug in filters. However the "cascade of tat" bit doesn't really
apply as there is currently simply a single lead plugged into the
socket which gets split at other places in the house and/or is 'looped
through' extension sockets.

--
Chris Green
Old April 22nd 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hill

I get ADSL on May 11, My main PC is in my loft, with the BT socket
downstairs. I have my router in the loft for better sygnal, and dial up is
via a longish extention.

Will I need 2 filters (one at the main socket and one in the loft)?

Will the ADSL work satisfactory from an extension lead, or should I try a
different solution?

I intend to have 4 PC's linked via a D-Link G604T Wireless Router.

Cheers
Peter

Old April 22nd 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Peter Hill wrote:

I get ADSL on May 11, My main PC is in my loft, with the BT socket
downstairs. I have my router in the loft for better sygnal, and dial
up is via a longish extention.

Will I need 2 filters (one at the main socket and one in the loft)?

Will the ADSL work satisfactory from an extension lead, or should I
try a different solution?

I intend to have 4 PC's linked via a D-Link G604T Wireless Router.

Cheers
Peter

You need a filter in any socket where an analog device is plugged in -
phone, fax machine, analog modem etc. - unless you have a filtered faceplate
in your master socket, in which case you don't need any more filters.
However, in that case, your router would need to be connected to the ADSL
socket of the filtered faceplate - *not* to any of the extension sockets. If
you want to put the router a long way from the master socket, you would need
to run a *digital* extension for it. See the modified faceplate which
Clarity sell at http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm

Whatever you do, *don't* use a portable phone extension cable between the
master socket and router position. Many of these don't use proper twisted
pair phone cable, and have a very poor signal to noise ratio - making then
unsuitable for ADSL.

Where are your other PC's? I would have thought that you would want to put
your wireless router in some central location rather than in the attic.

Make sure that you can connect at least one PC to the router with a *wired*
connection for configuration purposes. It's all too easy to make a mistake
which prevents the router from talking to the PCs wirelessly - and then
you're stuffed if you only have wireless connections.

Also make sure that you gen up on and implement security measures to make it
more difficult for the world and his dog to gatecrash on your wireless LAN.
--
Cheers,
Tim