Long line - is a 256 service a possiblilty when 512 has failed?

Old April 21st 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default Long line - is a 256 service a possiblilty when 512 has failed?

Can anyone tell me if the technical requirements for a 256 service are
actually any different to 512? I know that higher speeds are very
demanding but I have also read that 256 is just a 512 service
throttled back by the ISP. My line cannot receive 512 because I am
8.7m from the exchange using a Draytek 2600 Plus with long line
firmware but the router does see the signal (the state goes to READY
but the green light continues to flash). If I ask for a 256 service
is there any chance that I will get it to synchornise?
Old April 21st 05, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cliff Goldsmith

buy a zyxel 660 hw. i did and im 10.4 km from the exchange. bt said i
couldnt get it but with the zyxel 660 hw i can

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=P660HW-61

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/Products.32+B...jAwNDE_.0.html

Old April 21st 05, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Chris wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the technical requirements for a 256 service are
actually any different to 512? I know that higher speeds are very
demanding but I have also read that 256 is just a 512 service
throttled back by the ISP. My line cannot receive 512 because I am
8.7m from the exchange using a Draytek 2600 Plus with long line
firmware but the router does see the signal (the state goes to READY
but the green light continues to flash). If I ask for a 256 service
is there any chance that I will get it to synchornise?

All sub 512 services are in fact 512 or above throttled back at the ISP end
(can't inderstand the logic of someone with a 256k service being supplied
with a 2Mb circuit but it happens a hell of a lot)...

Old April 21st 05, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

kraftee wrote:

Chris wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the technical requirements for a 256 service are
actually any different to 512? I know that higher speeds are very
demanding but I have also read that 256 is just a 512 service
throttled back by the ISP. My line cannot receive 512 because I am
8.7m from the exchange using a Draytek 2600 Plus with long line
firmware but the router does see the signal (the state goes to READY
but the green light continues to flash). If I ask for a 256 service
is there any chance that I will get it to synchornise?

All sub 512 services are in fact 512 or above throttled back at the ISP end
(can't inderstand the logic of someone with a 256k service being supplied
with a 2Mb circuit but it happens a hell of a lot)...

Some ISP's (Zen, e7 spit and VISPA too iirc) provision them using that
Home250 product. How much of a difference it makes is debatable, however
IIRC Phil Thompson (aka yarwell on ADSLGuide) was looking into that or
something...
Old April 22nd 05, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Currently I am trying a Drayek sold to me by Zen because they refund
if they cannot provide the service. Can you tell me what took you to
Zyxel? I am not familiar with their products and is it just this
particular model, or should others in the range also work? I wasn't
looking for a wirelss model, having already got a wireless network in
the house.

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:35:36 +0100, "Cliff Goldsmith"
wrote:

buy a zyxel 660 hw. i did and im 10.4 km from the exchange. bt said i
couldnt get it but with the zyxel 660 hw i can

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=P660HW-61

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/Products.32+B...jAwNDE_.0.html

.. .

Old April 22nd 05, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Cliff Goldsmith" wrote in message
buy a zyxel 660 hw. i did and im 10.4 km from the exchange. bt said i
couldnt get it but with the zyxel 660 hw i can

That's a bargain as well. I've been having some disconnection problems -
which magically have calmed down since I contacted PIPEX about it. My line
is quite long, 63db attentuation, 11db SNR margin. Would you mind posting
your line stats? If they are like mine and the zyxel is doing a good job I
might get one myself.

Old April 22nd 05, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cliff Goldsmith

The reason i went to Zyxel 660hw is because someone else on this group in
January this year also used a Zyxel 660hw on a 9.8km line. I knew a friend
who was going to buy a Zyxel 660 hw who said if it didnt work he would give
me what i paid for it so i had nothing to loose. Thankfully it worked
YIPPEEEE........

wrote:

buy a zyxel 660 hw. i did and im 10.4 km from the exchange. bt said i
couldnt get it but with the zyxel 660 hw i can

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=P660HW-61

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/Products.32+B...kxW3Nob3dV aW

RdPTcxJmNIYXNoPTc1NmU4YjAwNDE_.0.html

.. .

Old April 23rd 05, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Martyn Dewar
writes

Some ISP's (Zen, e7 spit and VISPA too iirc) provision them using that
Home250 product. How much of a difference it makes is debatable, however
IIRC Phil Thompson (aka yarwell on ADSLGuide) was looking into that or
something...

I think this is the relevant link to Phil's work:-

There is a plot at http://www.yarwell.demon.co.uk/plot.html however
you can't necessarily count up the bits in use from these as I have
never got one to add up to the total (I don't think every channel gets
a bar on the graph).

--
robert w hall