Should ADSL Filter be closest to Router or Socket?

Old April 22nd 05, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul C

Default Should ADSL Filter be closest to Router or Socket?

I have a long extension lead ~5m from router to telephone wall socket.
Should the filter be closest to the Router or the Socket?
Anyone also know where you can get ready made extension cables that are
twisted pair to BT std rather than the cheap signal wire stuff from most
retailers.

thanks

Paul

Old April 22nd 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

"Paul C" wrote in message
I have a long extension lead ~5m from router to telephone wall socket.
Should the filter be closest to the Router or the Socket?

You do not need a filter for the router....

Old April 22nd 05, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

"Alec" wrote in message
"Paul C" wrote in message
I have a long extension lead ~5m from router to telephone wall socket.
Should the filter be closest to the Router or the Socket?

You do not need a filter for the router....

To add more detail, only the phones need a filter. The phones can't cope
with receiving the high frequencies used for ADSL but the router is able to
ignore the low frequencies used for phone calls.

Apparently, if you look inside a filter, there is almost, or even, nothing
between the plug and the router socket. All the interesting stuff is
between the plug and the phone socket.

Paul DS.

Old April 22nd 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Paul C wrote:

I have a long extension lead ~5m from router to telephone wall socket.
Should the filter be closest to the Router or the Socket?
Anyone also know where you can get ready made extension cables that
are twisted pair to BT std rather than the cheap signal wire stuff
from most retailers.

thanks

Paul

Why not get a proper extension kit, and install an extension socket rather
than having trailing leads of dubious quality?

As others have said, your phones need filtering - but your ADSL router must
not be filtered. Having said that, the unfiltered ADSL socket on a plug-in
filter often provides a convenient way to connect your ADSL kit - which
usually comes with an RJ11 rather than BT plug on its lead.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old April 22nd 05, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Just because two leads go direct from the plug to the socket, doesn't
mean to say that the other components don't have an effect.

Absolutely true, just think of a capacitor strung between the two or even a
coil. I'll try and be more precise next time ;-).

Paul DS.

Old April 23rd 05, 07:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:08:26 +0100, Alec wrote:

"Paul C" wrote in message
I have a long extension lead ~5m from router to telephone wall socket.
Should the filter be closest to the Router or the Socket?

You do not need a filter for the router....

Only that it will the easy way to plug the router in....

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old April 23rd 05, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 23 Apr 2005 07:03, Dave Stanton wrote:

Only that it will the easy way to plug the router in....

The first (Dabs) routers I bought came with a BT plug on one end...
Some of the others have arrived with two cables, one RJ11 - RJ11
and the other had a BT plug one end, so no need for filters in those
cases.... None were expensive models... Ebuyer, Dabs, Belkin... Peter

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old April 23rd 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

The first (Dabs) routers I bought came with a BT plug on one end... Some
of the others have arrived with two cables, one RJ11 - RJ11 and the
other had a BT plug one end, so no need for filters in those cases....
None were expensive models... Ebuyer, Dabs, Belkin... Peter

Conversly, the 4 routers I have bought came with RJ11 plugs on the cables
G oh well.

Dave

again
in the future!!