B.T. call records

Old April 22nd 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hartly

Default B.T. call records

Anyone know how long B.T. keep records of incoming calls to one's
phone(ie. the outgoing record of the caller)?.
May these records of incoming calls be given to the recipient of the
calls without some kind of Court/Police order?.
Thanks for any info.,
Hartly.
Old April 22nd 05, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

hartly wrote:
Anyone know how long B.T. keep records of incoming calls to one's
phone(ie. the outgoing record of the caller)?.

Potentially for years.

May these records of incoming calls be given to the recipient of the
calls without some kind of Court/Police order?.

No.
Old April 22nd 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Wireless Reader wrote:

hartly wrote:

Anyone know how long B.T. keep records of incoming calls to one's
phone(ie. the outgoing record of the caller)?.

Potentially for years.

May these records of incoming calls be given to the recipient of the
calls without some kind of Court/Police order?.

No.

Data Subject access request?

BTW: I'm sure BTopenzone really love you using their address in postings
Old April 22nd 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Wireless Reader" wrote in message
hartly wrote:
Anyone know how long B.T. keep records of incoming calls to one's
phone(ie. the outgoing record of the caller)?.

Potentially for years.

May these records of incoming calls be given to the recipient of the
calls without some kind of Court/Police order?.

No.

Why, given that this information is available (albeit transiently) to the
recipient of the calls if he dials 1471.

I'd have thought that the sender and recipient of the calls would both be
entitled to see their outgoing/incoming call history since it relates to
them. I can understand a court order being needed for anyone other than
either of the call parties to see the list.

Old April 22nd 05, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:14:56 +0100, Martyn Dewar
wrote:

Wireless Reader wrote:

hartly wrote:

Anyone know how long B.T. keep records of incoming calls to one's
phone(ie. the outgoing record of the caller)?.

Potentially for years.

May these records of incoming calls be given to the recipient of the
calls without some kind of Court/Police order?.

No.

Data Subject access request?

Doesn't apply unless the caller is not identifiable (which would make
them rather pointless).

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

Old April 22nd 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Alex Heney wrote:

SNIP

Data Subject access request?

Doesn't apply unless the caller is not identifiable (which would make
them rather pointless).

Surely for the purposes of obtaining a list of incoming calls it would
be applicable?
Old April 22nd 05, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

hartly wrote:
Anyone know how long B.T. keep records of incoming calls to one's
phone(ie. the outgoing record of the caller)?.

Potentially for years.

May these records of incoming calls be given to the recipient of the
calls without some kind of Court/Police order?.

No.

Why, given that this information is available (albeit transiently) to the
recipient of the calls if he dials 1471.

Only if the caller does not withhold their number.

I'd have thought that the sender and recipient of the calls would both be
entitled to see their outgoing/incoming call history since it relates to
them.

The DPA only allows access to data relating to you if it doesn't also
relate to any other identifiable individual who has not given their
permission for release of the data.

Old April 22nd 05, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

wrote:

Wireless Reader wrote:

hartly wrote:

Anyone know how long B.T. keep records of incoming calls to one's
phone(ie. the outgoing record of the caller)?.

Potentially for years.

May these records of incoming calls be given to the recipient of the
calls without some kind of Court/Police order?.

No.

Data Subject access request?

Doesn't apply unless the caller is not identifiable (which would make
them rather pointless).

Of course it applies Slick.

Unless the user has explicit reason to use the bt.com domain, the mail
servers of that domain has to handle any bounces or indeed mail
checks.
Old April 22nd 05, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

hartly wrote:
Anyone know how long B.T. keep records of incoming calls to one's
phone(ie. the outgoing record of the caller)?.

Potentially for years.

May these records of incoming calls be given to the recipient of the
calls without some kind of Court/Police order?.

No.

Why, given that this information is available (albeit transiently) to the
recipient of the calls if he dials 1471.

Only if the caller does not withhold their number.

I'd have thought that the sender and recipient of the calls would both be
entitled to see their outgoing/incoming call history since it relates to
them.

The DPA only allows access to data relating to you if it doesn't also
relate to any other identifiable individual who has not given their
permission for release of the data.

However presumably a list of all calls with dates/times and with numbers
*where not withheld* would be permissible: if you don't withhold your number
you are implicitly permitting it to be revealed to the recipient in this
list in the same way as it is for 1471.

Does BT record the originating number even when it's withheld? I imagine it
must do in order to follow up any allegations of nuisance (spam or
offensive) phone calls. Or is the number even withheld from BT?

Old April 23rd 05, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:23:20 +0100, Martyn Dewar
wrote:

Alex Heney wrote:

SNIP

Data Subject access request?

Doesn't apply unless the caller is not identifiable (which would make
them rather pointless).

Surely for the purposes of obtaining a list of incoming calls it would
be applicable?

Why?

The law is quite explicit here. From the Act:
(4) Where a data controller cannot comply with the request without
disclosing information relating to another individual who can be
identified from that information, he is not obliged to comply with the
request unless-

(a) the other individual has consented to the disclosure of the
information to the person making the request, or

(b) it is reasonable in all the circumstances to comply with the
request without the consent of the other individual.

If the caller withheld their number at the time of the call, then it
is unlikely they would give consent to release of it later, and it
would not be "reasonable in all the circumstances" to release that
information.

Even if they released their number at the time, I don't think that
would be justification for assuming their permission to be granted.