DCHP lease

Old April 22nd 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dj Toonz

Default DCHP lease

hi all :-) i'm using homecall boradband in the uk i'm on a 1mg connection
with a linksy router not the standard speedtouch 330 usb modem that the
isp's give u :-( what i want to know is as i'm using a router and my isp has
a dchp lease how offern do the isp's change the ip address for the
connection as my router is up 24/7 and my router is dchp'ing my address to
my machine. I know that changes every 1 day but i get the same addresss
every time beacause my ps2 isnt switched on all that time. How offern do i
have to switch the router off to release the ip address from my isp? or will
it work being up 24/7 on the same ip address as my isp doesnt have any capps
on the ammount of dwnloading and uploading on the service. Hope i've
explained it proper what i'm trying to say

hope someone can explain it 2 me

Old April 23rd 05, 01:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dj Toonz

where;s me problem? i dont see a problem (explain to me where's the problem)

"Paul Cummins" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
(Dj Toonz) wrote:

i'm using homecall boradband

There's your problem...

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

I'm Backing Blair -
www.backingblair.co.uk

Old April 23rd 05, 03:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Dj Toonz wrote:
hi all :-) i'm using homecall boradband in the uk i'm on a 1mg
connection with a linksy router not the standard speedtouch 330 usb
modem that the isp's give u :-( what i want to know is as i'm using a
router and my isp has a dchp lease how offern do the isp's change the
ip address for the connection as my router is up 24/7 and my router
is dchp'ing my address to my machine. I know that changes every 1 day
but i get the same addresss every time beacause my ps2 isnt switched
on all that time. How offern do i have to switch the router off to
release the ip address from my isp? or will it work being up 24/7 on
the same ip address as my isp doesnt have any capps on the ammount of
dwnloading and uploading on the service. Hope i've explained it
proper what i'm trying to say
hope someone can explain it 2 me

Homecall change the WAN IP address this doesn't affect the LAN IP adress at
all. The LAN IP adress is being supplied by the router. The router is
managing the traffic between the LAN & WAN which is why it's called a
router...

Simple isn't it...

Old April 23rd 05, 07:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dj Toonz

"kraftee" [email protected]&die wrote in message
Dj Toonz wrote:
[...]

Kraftee so what ur saying let me get this straight , stay with me as i know
nowt about routers and networks. my routers internal ip address to my
network doesnt change right? but the ip address Homecall provides to my
routers modem does? i think i get you know. So for as long as the router is
up and running the ip address Homecall provides wont change, it will only
change if the router is rebooted or switched off. I get you now so it;s a
bit like a dial up modem then, you get the same ip address from the isp for
as long as your online intill you disconact the connection , and then when i
reset or switch the router off and leave it off for a bit then switch it
back on again the wan ip address from Homecall will be changed but the
internall ip address to my network wont have. phew finally finally figured
that out :-p , so slow and thick with computers lol

Thankx Kraftee that information what u gave me then helped

Old April 23rd 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Dj Toonz
writes
, and then when i reset or switch the router off and leave it off for a
bit then switch it back on again the wan ip address from Homecall will
be changed but the internall ip address to my network wont have.

except... that the IP from Homecall might *not* have changed when you
reconnect it could coincidentally be the same and... if you do have your
PC & PS2 switched on and connected when you reboot your router then the
DHCP server in your router may give them different LAN IPs from usual.

--
dave @ stejonda

No guru, no church, no dependency. Beyond the farmyard the wind in the trees.
The fool by the signless signpost stands pointing the way
Old April 23rd 05, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:18:53 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Dj Toonz
writes
, and then when i reset or switch the router off and leave it off for a
bit then switch it back on again the wan ip address from Homecall will
be changed but the internall ip address to my network wont have.

except... that the IP from Homecall might *not* have changed when you
reconnect it could coincidentally be the same and... if you do have your
PC & PS2 switched on and connected when you reboot your router then the
DHCP server in your router may give them different LAN IPs from usual.

DHCP leases have a "lease time" and if the lease has not expired and
the server has not reset its tables (which may/may not occur in a
reboot), it will issue the same IP address to a system requesting an
address. If the tables have been reset, addresses will be issued from
the start and the address received will depend on the order requests
are received from systems.

While connected, systems request a renewal half way through the lease
time and, if granted (the norm), the address will not change. To
change the address, you will *usually* have to disconnect for at least
the lease time to give the server a chance to re-issue the address to
another system (though this may not happen if there are unused spare
addresses left).
PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.
Old April 23rd 05, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:42:16 +0100, Killa
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:17:03 +0000 (UTC), PeeGee
wrote:

While connected, systems request a renewal half way through the lease
time and, if granted (the norm), the address will not change. To
change the address, you will *usually* have to disconnect for at least
the lease time to give the server a chance to re-issue the address to
another system (though this may not happen if there are unused spare
addresses left).

Nice theory - but I missed the bit where you explained that IP
addresses for PPPoA/E ADSL connections aren't assigned using DHCP,
but are assigned using the IPCP layer of PPP. Consequently there
are no lease 'renewal' requests because your system doesn't have
a lease to renew.

I didn't - I started with "DHCP leases have a "lease time".... " - the
rest was about DHCP.

I do, however, accept that it could have been easily taken to apply as
you read it.

PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.