Netgear Router Semi Failure info

Old April 23rd 05, 07:29 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Mike

Default Netgear Router Semi Failure info

Jonah wrote:

Info only not a request for help although I would be interested if
anybody has come across this type of half arsed failure.

I had a Netgear 4 Port Wireless Router 3 months old.

I went away for a few days end of March and whilst away there was a big
electrical storm (I knew nothing about the storm till tonight)

Came home, router is offline, rebooted, all seemingly OK.

After which I have had endless niggling problems, nothing major just
trivia like web pages failing to load, network connections dropping out
for no apparant reason, lower than usual wireless signal strength,
various strange problems but nothing obvious. Chased all sorts of
possible causes, spyware, firewall probs, registry snarl ups but found
nothing. Heard about the storm tonight from the guy I bought the router
from who told me loads of routers had been fried by the storm that night
and the following morning was chaos. Swapped my router for a spare and
suddenly all is restored to normal and the degradation of the original
router is now obvious.

Checked the original router wireless output on a scope, down to 5mW
should be around 85mW so it looks like the output RF was fried and
damage was caused to the RJ45 I/O components. So it was working but not
at full capacity, just enough to appear OK without deeper investigation.

It would appear that you have suffered a common problem in that
wireless routers are apparently susceptible to electrical storm
damage. http://tinyurl.com/95f6t

I am amazed it was working at all, seems very lucky / unlucky I would
have preferred an outright failure it would have saved me a lot of aggro.

Indeed.
Old April 23rd 05, 04:42 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:29:31 +0100, Mike wrote:

Checked the original router wireless output on a scope, down to 5mW
should be around 85mW so it looks like the output RF was fried (...)

Where did you find an oscilloscope that works to 2.4Ghz and measures
power output in milliwatts?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 23rd 05, 05:51 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
oO

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:29:31 +0100, Mike wrote:

Checked the original router wireless output on a scope, down to 5mW
should be around 85mW so it looks like the output RF was fried (...)

Where did you find an oscilloscope that works to 2.4Ghz and measures
power output in milliwatts?

down the back of the sofa

Old April 23rd 05, 06:15 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:29:31 +0100, Mike wrote:

Checked the original router wireless output on a scope, down to 5mW
should be around 85mW so it looks like the output RF was fried (...)

Where did you find an oscilloscope that works to 2.4Ghz and measures
power output in milliwatts?

Perhaps he or his employer has deep pockets and owns something like an
Agilent 54854A with a MATLAB package.
Old April 23rd 05, 07:40 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:15:16 +0100, NBT
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:29:31 +0100, Mike wrote:

Checked the original router wireless output on a scope, down to 5mW
should be around 85mW so it looks like the output RF was fried (...)

Where did you find an oscilloscope that works to 2.4Ghz and measures
power output in milliwatts?

Perhaps he or his employer has deep pockets and owns something like an
Agilent 54854A with a MATLAB package.

4 channels and 4GHz of bandwidth and starting prices at only $42,000.
Yeah, that will sorta work.
| http://www.agilent.com/about/newsroo...4feb2003a.html
The think the Infinium service mark is in reference to the price
instead of the product. However, none of the associated applications
specific software modules seem to have anything to do with RF.
Mostly, they're wired datacomm performance and optimization packages.
It's easy enough to calculate the output power of a spread spectrum
signal on a spectrum analyzer, but this is a "scope", which is not so
easy. Maybe he meant spectrum analyzer[1].

Probably something more specific to 802.11 would be more helpful:
| http://www.home.agilent.com/cgi-bin/...OUNTRY_CODE=US
However, we would then miss out on the "scope".

[1] A common error when measuring spread spectrum power on a spectrum
analyzer is forgetting to add the decorrelated power output to the
observed peak signal level. If the measured power output on the
spectrum analyzer is 0dBm, the observed bandwidth of the signal is
26Mhz, and the IF bandwidth of the SA is 1MHz, then the total power
output is:
0dBm + 10 log (26/1) = 0dBm + 14dB = +14dBm
I suspect this might explain the difference in measured versus
anticipated output.

Old April 23rd 05, 09:31 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

Probably something more specific to 802.11 would be more helpful:

http://www.home.agilent.com/cgi-bin/...OUNTRY_CODE=US
However, we would then miss out on the "scope".

I would still need a "Sugar Mammy"

E4402B-COM ESA-E Communication Test Analyzer, 9 kHz to 3.0 GHz From
US$21,631
E4404B-COM ESA-E Communication Test Analyzer, 9 kHz to 6.7 GHz From
US$28,778