BT Broadband dropping out

Old April 23rd 05, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

Default BT Broadband dropping out

We have a BT Voyager wireless broadband connection, with 3 PCs sharing the
line
via the wireless adaptor, and one laptop we occasionally connect directly
via USB . Two of the PCs, and the laptop, keep their connection going all
the time - we can surf continuously or we can return to the machine after a
break and the internet works fine. On this PC however, the internet
connection seems to be intermittent - if we take a break from surfing for
(say) 15 minutes when we return Internet Explorer displays "page not
available" - to get the connection back we either have to re-boot the PC or
the wireless adaptor (both seem to do the trick). I have tried
disable/re-enable under Network Connections, and I have tried "Repair" under
Wireless Network Connection - both these methods sometimes work but take
quite a few minutes to re-assign IP addresses. The IE settings are the same
for all machines - I'm guessing that the "dodgy" machine has some hidden
setting I need to tweak - any ideas?. The wireless signal between the
adaptor and all PCs indicates being "Very Good".

Thanks

Old April 23rd 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:56:59 +0000 (UTC), "Adam"
wrote:

[...]

When you say the IE settings are the same, I assume that you have
"never dial a connection" set in "internet options/connections" if
there is a dial-up entry.
PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.
Old April 23rd 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

When you say the IE settings are the same, I assume that you have
"never dial a connection" set in "internet options/connections" if
there is a dial-up entry.
PeeGee

That's right - "never dial a connection" is set.

Old April 23rd 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:40:56 +0000 (UTC), "Adam"
wrote:

When you say the IE settings are the same, I assume that you have
"never dial a connection" set in "internet options/connections" if
there is a dial-up entry.
PeeGee

That's right - "never dial a connection" is set.

Ok, when the problem occurs, is the network still available?
Can you see shares on the other PCs or ping them?
Has the PC adopted any form of power save - monitor off, etc.?
Presumably, there are variations of hardware build?

Also, what OSs are in use? I have seen a PC (or 60 [1]) running
win98se lock-up when the BIOS defaults are used, but run ok if some
minor changes are made. The same PC loses the display if the monitor
turns off (default: after 15mins!) and has to be rebooted. (The latter
is now, however, a known problem acknowledged by the M/B
manufacturer).

[1] identical build

PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.