Broadband from Wanadoo

Old April 24th 05, 08:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

Default Broadband from Wanadoo

I am expecting Broadband on my local exchange at the end of April and wished
to know a few details.
I have a network with my two PCs connected by a crossover cable.
When I receive the control box does it connect to one of my PCs and the
other still connects via the crossover cable.?
Do Wanadoo supply the connecting cable?
Blair

Old April 24th 05, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RolYat

In article ,
lid ...

I am expecting Broadband on my local exchange at the end of April and wished
to know a few details.
I have a network with my two PCs connected by a crossover cable.
When I receive the control box does it connect to one of my PCs and the
other still connects via the crossover cable.?
Do Wanadoo supply the connecting cable?

Invest in a router, it will make the whole experience a lot less
'complicated', and each PC will be totally independent of the other so
far as the Internet connection is concerned.

But, in answer to your question, the "control box", commonly known as
the USB modem, will plug into 1 PC, and the 2nd PC will connect to the
Internet via the crossover cable, using the 1st PC as the gateway.

Wanadoo will supply a modem, USB cable, and telephone lead. I haven't
checked, but I do believe they also have a router option; if so, go with
that.

If you are running Win XP, there is a wizard to facilitate all this
'internet connection sharing' for you, but I would still encourage you
to go down the router option.

I would also urge you to look at other providers, as Wanadoo's packages
are based on 12 month subscriptions, meaning you are tied in even if
they perform miserably and/or a better deal with another provider is
more beneficial to you.
Old April 24th 05, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 24 Apr 2005 07:07, "Blair" wrote:

I have a network with my two PCs connected by a crossover cable.
When I receive the control box does it connect to one of my PCs
and the other still connects via the crossover cable.?

As you already have more than one PC, go with a router rather than a USB
modem - apart from there being a first line of defence against probes and
the router keeping the connection live, ready for either PC to use.

Ethernet is less of an overhead, the routers are pretty cheap and many will
sense the crossover cable (and some come with a single patch lead, so the
other PC can be connected too). Cables are fairly cheap anyway, and you
will be able to do file transfers via a router as well as use the net.

Wanadoo has a router available in their 'Wireless and Talk' package but
(a) there's a monthly fee to pay on top, and (b) it seems their wireless
router is 'locked' to Wanadoo with an unlock fee payable.

They describe that package as incompatible with Mac or Win 98 (but that's no
doubt because they are assuming wireless connections). I have a number of
PCs, including Win 95, using my LAN and with internet access... just get a
cheap router from Ebuyer or Dabs and you should have few problems. I used
Freeserve for a couple of years, and switched when others were doing better
deals on a speed above 500 kbps...

I don't know if there have been many changes since Wanadoo took over, but see
the price being OK for a 1000 kbps service, though having a cap might make
use of some things a bit awkward (for example I can download a movie from
CinemaNow.com - 500 to 750 MB per film would gobble up a 2 GB allowance with
just 3-4 films). I listen to music radio streams which can push 50 MB an
hour, so in under ten days could use up the allowance at the 2 GB level.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old April 24th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"RolYat" wrote in message
In article ,
lid ...

[...]

Thanks for your help.
Basically I use my laptop for all my work including on line use and my
desktop is there as a stand by PC and I also use it to backup my drives
using Acronis True Image.
Since my existing network satisfies my requirements Is there any need to
have a router? I can understand if two people were using the Internet at the
same time a router would be a better solution.
Blair

Old April 24th 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

Thanks for your help.
I have XP on my laptop and 98 on my desktop
Basically I use my laptop for all my work including on line use and my
desktop is there as a stand by PC and I also use it to backup my drives
using Acronis True Image.
Since my existing network satisfies my requirements Is there any need to
have a router? I can understand if two people were using the Internet at the
same time a router would be a better solution.
Blair

s.net...

Old April 24th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 24 Apr 2005 17:58, "Blair" wrote:

using Acronis True Image.

I think I have a new beta of that still to test - thanks for the reminder!!

Is there any need to have a router?

o a router is a good line of defence (ever needed to uninstall and
re-install a firewall, or had some nasty which *disables* firewall
software ? I recently saw someone whose PC had been infected, with
the hosts list altered so it was made awkward to reach any anti-virus
websites... when attempting to open certain applications (such as the
Task Manager, Norton, etc) they were instantly closed by the 'nasty')

o a router will keep your ISP connection up, even if you reboot your PC,
and ethernet is less of an overhead than USB. In the past some USB
modems caused problems due to high current requirement and USB was
sometimes shut down by the PC so as you already have 10 or 100 Mbps
support on your laptop it would be easy to use with no new drivers.

Whether you choose to use an ISP supplied USB modem is down to you, but you
can probably see that the vast majority of regular posters recommend a switch
to an ethernet router... USB modems are being bundled so as to let a person
get online with no need to open the PC up, but just as I would now prefer to
buy a PC with no horrid 'bundled' 56k modem (so i don't waste a tenner on a
thing which won't get used), I would equally prefer an ISP provided me with
*no* USB modem (which would stay on the shelf or be flogged ASAP on Ebay)
and put any cash they save into giving a better service to users.

None of the people or firms I support has had significant problems with their
ADSL service in the past 36 months, as all of them use routers. I had USB
before that and replaced it ASAP (within 60 days of getting ADSL). You may
have no problems with your laptop and USB, of course, but I've just recently
stopped reading posts about USB driver issues as I am so 'out of touch' with
the current USB modems and 99% of the time would recommend an ADSL router on
a wired connection (wireless can be a pain, while PCI is another option, but
again loses the first level protection a router provides). Peter M.

PS "Top-posting" is often unwelcome in this newsgroup...

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
with many options in between... http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4
Old April 25th 05, 07:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"Peter M" wrote in message
s.net...
[...]

Thanks for your very clear and helpful explanation. You have certainly given
me 'food for thought'
The ISP I am thinking of using offer a wireless Ethernet router and I have
noted your comments about wireless routers.
I will now investigate Ethernet routers and find what is the best buy
Thanks again
Blair

Old April 25th 05, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 Apr 2005 06:22, "Blair" wrote:

The ISP I am thinking of using offer a wireless Ethernet router and I have
noted your comments about wireless routers.

There was a thread within the last onth (see htp://groups.google.com/ in
this newsgroup about the wireless router offered by Wanadoo - subject was
"Wanadoo livebox - locked out of other ISPs?"

It seems there are two options (renting the livebox on the wireless and talk
at 4 quid a month, when the wireless unit is returnable if you cancel/move
to some other ISP (or one would pay 100 pounds), or to buy it for 79.99 but
remember it would be locked to Wanadoo - still hunting to try to find where
or rather *if* they mention the unlock fee, now they're renting these out :-)

As mentioned, the Wanadoo site says their router is incompatible with Mac and
Windows 98 but you could consider some other make, and link 1 or both to it
by wireless (but you may still need that crossover cable, since you could
lock your PCs out if you get the security settings [a minefield :-] up the
creek).

Not wanting to put you off, of course, but having started at 'current LAN
connections are OK, will just add a USB modem' your jump for a Wi-Fi router
solution seems supercharged, overshooting the 'simpler' wired router option!

Old April 26th 05, 07:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"Peter M" wrote in message
s.net...
On 25 Apr 2005 06:22, "Blair" wrote:

The ISP I am thinking of using offer a wireless Ethernet router and I

have
noted your comments about wireless routers.

There was a thread within the last onth (see htp://groups.google.com/ in
this newsgroup about the wireless router offered by Wanadoo - subject was
"Wanadoo livebox - locked out of other ISPs?"

It seems there are two options (renting the livebox on the wireless and

talk
at 4 quid a month, when the wireless unit is returnable if you cancel/move
to some other ISP (or one would pay 100 pounds), or to buy it for 79.99

but
remember it would be locked to Wanadoo - still hunting to try to find

where
or rather *if* they mention the unlock fee, now they're renting these out

:-)

As mentioned, the Wanadoo site says their router is incompatible with Mac

and
Windows 98 but you could consider some other make, and link 1 or both to

it
by wireless (but you may still need that crossover cable, since you could
lock your PCs out if you get the security settings [a minefield :-] up the
creek).

Not wanting to put you off, of course, but having started at 'current LAN
connections are OK, will just add a USB modem' your jump for a Wi-Fi

router
solution seems supercharged, overshooting the 'simpler' wired router

option!

--

Reading your remarks has helped me to make a decision. I will activate the
BB connection when it is available here with my existing network in the