Fixed IP on Router is 3Com 3CRWDR100A-72

Old April 24th 05, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Default Fixed IP on Router is 3Com 3CRWDR100A-72

Nigel M wrote:

My home network has always had fixed IP addresses for each PC. I've
now got a DHCP server, but I'm keen to keep the IP addresses the same.

My Router is 3Com 3CRWDR100A-72, I let it issue an IP to each PC in
turn, then ticked the Fix box to keep them. For 3 of the PCs, this has
worked fine, but one of them keeps showing the MAC of
00-00-00-00-00-00, but only after I click Fix, it is fine before then.

Any suggestions as to why?

If you want to use fixed IP addresses, why not turn off the DHCP server
function, and set the IP on each individual PC. [In the router's LAN
settings, set DHCP server to disabled]. That's what I do with the self-same
router, and it works fine.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old April 25th 05, 02:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:15:58 +0100, Nigel M
wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Tiscali Tim wrote:

If you want to use fixed IP addresses, why not turn off the DHCP server
function, and set the IP on each individual PC.

That's what I had before, but I like having central control.

Why?

Normally, one only uses DHCP on a small network if you don't want to
bother about control, and you just want to allow automatic and dynamic
assignment of addresses.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something.