Remote video surveillance over ADSL

Old April 24th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek

Default Remote video surveillance over ADSL

Check out the AFIANT products from Modern Security Solutions. Linux based
Network DVR can support both Analogue and Network cameras from people like
Axis, Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Samsung and loads of unbranded makes as well.
Uses java and multilayer security to prevent unauthorised access.
www.modernsecuritysolutions.com or reply direct to me for more details. This
system is designed specifically for your sort of circumstances so have a
look.
"Peter" wrote in message
Hi,

I am planning to set up a surveillance system for a small warehouse,
comprising of several video cameras and some high-res stills cameras,
with video/stills being retrievable via a www server.

No webcams as these use up huge ADSL bandwidth. The ADSL will be low
cost 256/512 with one fixed IP to support a web server.

The video cameras would need to be low-light (hard to quantify but
basically low indoor domestic levels) which rules out the cheap
(sub-300) webcams. I've played with a few (e.g. Axis 205) and they
really are poor. I have a choice of using conventional video cameras
(some of which are available down to 0.01 lux especially if B&W), or
ethernet or wireless connected ones. But sometimes the light level
will be almost sunlight.

None of the wireless ones I've seen have any security so I am
reluctant to use them because anyone with half a brain could easily do
a DOS attack on them. Running ethernet is a hassle but with wireless
ones one would still need to run power to each one...

The stills cameras could be consumer grade ~ 5 megapixel jobs,
connected via USB - is that possible with any of them?

I will also need to record video (can be low frame rates) for the past
2 weeks. A big hard drive in a PC...

One nice feature would be to detect movement, and then transmit jpeg
images by email, say every 10 seconds, until movement stops.

A nice but probably hard feature would be auto fallback to GPRS (for
the jpeg email transmission) if somebody cuts the BT cable.

Obviously the system itself will be in a sturdy box with a UPS inside.

Can anyone offer comments/suggestions on this? I've seen various off
the shelf systems but nothing quite what I want. I also don't want to
spend many thousands on it; I know what the parts cost.

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.