recommend an ISP for broadband

Old April 25th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JJJJ

Default recommend an ISP for broadband

I am currenlty on AOL dialup, but would like to change over to BB. As I need
to network from a Mac to a PC and want to keep the price down to around £18, I
can't go over to AOL BB. The silverservice cannot be networked according to
the small print. Could someone recommend a good ISP which works well on the
Mac, has over 4 email addresses (free) and a reasonable speed for around £18 a
month, preferrably with no download capping - but high capping if not.

Many thanks.

Jules
There are two respites from the miseries of life - music and cats.
Old April 25th 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Grayson

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:44:01 GMT, (JJJJ)
wrote:

In article ,
(JJJJ) wrote:
In article t, Peter Morgan -
0870 432 9631 wrote:
On 25 Apr 2005 13:52 GMT,
(JJJJ) wrote:

Mac, has over 4 email addresses (free) and a reasonable speed for around £18

month, preferrably with no download capping - but high capping if not.

I doubt there is any which meets all that, at around 18 quid. AFAIK, there
are 1000 kbps services from Wanadoo, etc, at that or lower cost, but doubt
they offer 'high' capping (I assume you mean 100+ GB a month). If you're
not after 100+ GB, there may be several options.

Are you using peer-to-peer or newsgroups (if yes, which?) that mean you are
after a high quantity of download capability... Also, depends where you live
since there may be 500 kbps at 9.99/month if you are server by Easynet's LLU
Stream (using UK Online as ISP). Peter M.

UKonline do £19.99 service in my area not £10 one. Not sure if they provide
more than one email address though.

Jules
There are two respites from the miseries of life - music and cats.

Check out
www.plus.net they offer much of what you are asking for a
reasonable price.

Prices start at £14.99, I believe multiple addresses is standard on
any of their packages. In fact, I just logged into my account which is
a BB Premier @ £21.99/month and the administration panel shows this:

"There's no limit to the amount of e-mail addresses you can have .
Create as many mailboxes as you want, each with their individual
password, so everyone in your family or office can communicate with
confidence and ease."

Regards,

Robin
Old April 25th 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 Apr 2005 15:33 GMT, (JJJJ) wrote:

I could live without the downloading, as long as I can get some limited.

some limited what (?)

Do Wanadoo provide more than one email address?

Wanadoo offers multiple mail addresses of the form
doo...
and
doo... but AFAIK mail is stored in a single mailbox.

As Robin has mentioned, you can have multiple mail accounts with Plus.Net,
some may be used just to 'forward' to Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail/etc so you could
join various websites and send all the incoming mail from them to any other
mail account, and if they ever sell your address, you can just change the
forwarding address to make it a 'black hole' which will bin everything.

You can access mail using POP or IMAP from your PC.

needs to provide a good service for the Mac.

No problem with using ADSL from a Mac. If more than one wants to use the
service, a router makes it easy. A friend of mine has been using his two
Apple devices for the last 2 years on Plus.Net and is happy...

Plus.Net is due to release its new account details in a few days, but they
have a setup fee of 50 +VAT so another may be a better (=cheaper) option.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old April 26th 05, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

JJJJ wrote:
I am currenlty on AOL dialup, but would like to change over to BB. As

I need
to network from a Mac to a PC and want to keep the price down to

around £18, I
can't go over to AOL BB. The silverservice cannot be networked

according to
the small print.

AOL don't "support" networking on Silver but it works fine. You can get
a router and network any combination of ethernet based devices.

There may be some limit on "screen names" (whatever they might be) but
you can certainly network it and get help from other users rather than
AOL (which tends to be the cae anyway, doesn't it ?).

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...ad.php?t=12323

Phil

Old April 26th 05, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

JJJJ wrote:
I am currenlty on AOL dialup, but would like to change over to BB. As

I need
to network from a Mac to a PC and want to keep the price down to

around £18, I
can't go over to AOL BB. The silverservice cannot be networked

according to
the small print.

AOL don't "support" networking on Silver but it works fine. You can get
a router and network any combination of ethernet based devices.

There may be some limit on "screen names" (whatever they might be) but
you can certainly network it and get help from other users rather than
AOL (which tends to be the case anyway, doesn't it ?).

Old April 26th 05, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Donald McTrevor

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/br...ode=ZZ-NL-11HB

This any good for 15.99 30gig a month cap?

Old April 27th 05, 02:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

I recon madasafish offers the best deal at the moment:
2Mb/s, £17.99 p.m. , but two months free, no activation charge, free modem.

2Gb p/m included, not generous, but enough for most people.
(two of us use just 1Gb working from home, no music, video or warez
downloads)

If that's not enough, you can have 'unlimited' deal for same price but at
512kb/s (maybe no free 2 months ?)
Regards,
Martin