drop freeserve broadband back to dialup

Old April 25th 05, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Butler

Default drop freeserve broadband back to dialup

When I cancel my Freeserve broadband ADSL account, will it still be
available via dial-up, or will the entire account be purged?

Will I be able to access the Freeserve news servers from a non-Freeserve
connection as long as I provide my Freeserve username and password - or do
the servers only allow access from a Freeserve dialed-in connection?

I'm thinking of moving to the Bulldog 2Mbit (not the @ctive account, since
it's not available in my area) - anyone had any issues with this -
particularly running filesharing or VPN links. I must have continuous
connections (i.e. no drop-outs, momentary disconections, etc. that might be
designed to foil continuous links between systems).

Thanks.

Old April 25th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Joe Butler" wrote in message

Will I be able to access the Freeserve news servers from a non-Freeserve
connection as long as I provide my Freeserve username and password - or do
the servers only allow access from a Freeserve dialed-in connection?

I tried it once and it didn't work. I was only able to send/receive regular
e-mail. Even then some administrators refused to accept mail from a proxy
server although it was good way of checking mail without logging onto
Freeserve and having to pay BT by the minute.

(kim)

Old April 25th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Joe Butler wrote:

When I cancel my Freeserve broadband ADSL account, will it still be
available via dial-up, or will the entire account be purged?

I don't know for sure, but I imagine it will still exist as a PAYG dial-up
account. That is certainly the case when you cancel one of their Anytime
accounts.

Will I be able to access the Freeserve news servers from a
non-Freeserve connection as long as I provide my Freeserve username
and password?

No. You have to be using a Freeserve (Wanadoo)-allocated IP address in order
to access their news server. You can, however, still access any emails sent
to your Freeserve address by leaving pop.freeserve.com as the POP3 server
specified in your account setup in your email client. If you want to *send*
emails with a Freeserve 'from' address, you can still do it - but you have
to change the account in your email client to point at your new ISP's SMTP
server.

A Freeserve PAYG account will lapse if you don't dial into it for a period
of 90 days - but it can be recovered (even while physically connected to
your new ISP) by going to the appropriate page on the Wanadoo site.
--
Cheers,
Tim