Every community in Scotland to get broadband

Old April 25th 05, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default Every community in Scotland to get broadband

All of BT's exchanges (including 378 of the 399 "unviable" ones*) in
Scotland are to be ADSL enabled - following an agreement between BT and
the Scottish Executive.

More information at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4478497.stm
and http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Rele...05/04/25085656

(*the other exchanges are also being enabled under a different scheme
which specifically covers the Western Isles)

Regards
Sunil

Old April 25th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

yes but note the caveat: "within the limits of the available
technology and budget." Speaking as one who technically lives in a
broadband enabled area but is too far from the exchange to get ADSL I
wonder just what this commitment really means? My line has just
failed again today at a second attempt!

Old April 25th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt

wrote:

All of BT's exchanges (including 378 of the 399 "unviable" ones*) in
Scotland are to be ADSL enabled - following an agreement between BT and
the Scottish Executive.

More information at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4478497.stm
and http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Rele...05/04/25085656

(*the other exchanges are also being enabled under a different scheme
which specifically covers the Western Isles)

Regards
Sunil

Slightly OTT, but what level but they test the line at? Surely if 512kbps
fails, they can test at 256kbps and then 128kbps?

Old April 25th 05, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Chris" wrote in message
yes but note the caveat: "within the limits of the available
technology and budget." Speaking as one who technically lives in a
broadband enabled area but is too far from the exchange to get ADSL I
wonder just what this commitment really means? My line has just
failed again today at a second attempt!

What service were you trying to get?

99.8% on an enabled exchange can get a 512K service.

Some of those who can't get that will be able to get a 256K service from
Zen, Vispa and E7even.

Regards
Sunil

Old April 25th 05, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi,

I thought that the 256K type services were run on basically a 512K line but
just on a reduced bandwidth from the ISP?

Regards

Simon

Old April 26th 05, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Simon Zerafa" wrote in message
I thought that the 256K type services were run on basically a 512K line
but just on a reduced bandwidth from the ISP?

Many ISP's do run 256K services on 512K lines and throttle them down.

However, BT Wholesale do offer an "official" 256K service as well - which
runs at 256K (and is not throttled down to that speed) - its just not many
ISP's actually offer it.

If someone's line fails for the 512K service and you talk to Zen (for
instance) they will try and enable you for 256K - even if the checkers say
you can't get ADSL "following an engineer visit" etc. - it seems to work
sometimes ( a decent modem helps as well)

Regards
Sunil

Old April 26th 05, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
N. Joy

Hi
As I too live "rurally" and BT say they might get 512k after an engineer's
visit, I wonder which modem(s) you would class as "decent", please?
Many thanks
Norm.

Old April 26th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

"BT say they might get 512k after an engineer's
visit"

that's a fairly standard line, "very unlikely" is the message on the
longest lines. There will only be an engineer visit if you can't make
it work, you request it via the ISP.

Home 250 from Zen with a BT Voyager 105 or a Vigor router (Zen will
supply that and refund if the line doesn't work out) would be the
prescription on a "very unlikely" line. Vigor do "long reach firmware"
but I have no evidence its any better.

The main thing is to plug into the BT test socket behind the faceplate
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3 to eliminate
internal wiring as a potential cause of interference or other problems.
That's what a visiting engineer will do, if it doesn't work there he'll
try to improve it by checking the line for faults or trying a spare
pair (if available).

Phil

Old April 26th 05, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

I was trying for the Zen 512 service on the advice of Zen. They
supplied the Draytek Vigor 2600+ and I installed the long line
firmware. We are at the stage of BT's "High level complaints
process" so I am waiting to see what happens next. The possibility of
the Zen 256 service has yet to be explored but will be. Nobody
(including the BT engineer) has been able to tell me if the line
requirements for a 256 service are actually any different to 512. My
line length is 8.7Km. and it is the more modern 0.5mm cable whereas
the engineer told me that many of those who can get ADSL on long lines
are on the older 1.0mm cable.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:00:56 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

.. .

Old April 27th 05, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Chris wrote:

Nobody
(including the BT engineer) has been able to tell me if the line
requirements for a 256 service are actually any different to 512. My
line length is 8.7Km. and it is the more modern 0.5mm cable whereas
the engineer told me that many of those who can get ADSL on long

lines
are on the older 1.0mm cable.

256k needs half the number of frequency bands downstream as 512k does.
This increases the probability of it working where 512k won't.
http://www.yarwell.demon.co.uk/longlines.html

If you look at any speed vs distance graphs they always drop away to
the right showing 256k working at a longer distance than 512k.

So yes 256k needs less useable signal than 512k.

BT's internal pre-qualification limits (when they used them) were the
same for 256k and 512k. Have the attending engineers managed to measure
an attenuation level on the line ?

Phil