Netgear WG511, DG384G and WPA security

Old April 26th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Default Netgear WG511, DG384G and WPA security

Anyone help? I have the above wireless router and Cardbus/PCMCIA wireless
adapter but I can only get a connection between the two if I turn _all_
security off!

With WPA on, the Windows XP wireless tool shows no networks, the Netgear one
shows one Network (mine!) with signal level 78% but it won't connect either.

I've checked the settings (correct SSID, WPA pass phrases etc) and I'm
running the latest software (the latest beta on the Netgear site for the
router).

This doesn't seem to be a range issue because I tried walking right up to
the router and still could not get a connection!

So, any ideas? Any diagnostics that I can run? I have tried various pass
phrases but they all seem to give the same results - no connection!

Cheers,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old April 26th 05, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

Paul D.Smith wrote:
Anyone help? I have the above wireless router and Cardbus/PCMCIA wireless
adapter but I can only get a connection between the two if I turn _all_
security off!

With WPA on, the Windows XP wireless tool shows no networks, the Netgear one
shows one Network (mine!) with signal level 78% but it won't connect either.

I've checked the settings (correct SSID, WPA pass phrases etc) and I'm
running the latest software (the latest beta on the Netgear site for the
router).

This doesn't seem to be a range issue because I tried walking right up to
the router and still could not get a connection!

So, any ideas? Any diagnostics that I can run? I have tried various pass
phrases but they all seem to give the same results - no connection!

Cheers,
Paul DS.

You don't mention which version of WG511 ,Ver2 supports WPA but the
original didn't so if you are using the XP Client s/ware you may be able
to enter a "WPA Key" but it will not work.
Assuming you have a V2 have you tried using just Hex characters
instead of a passphrase ,I have had a card where this was the only way
to get it to work, and start with say 10 characters to see if it works
then build up the number.
As an odd thought your router isn't trying to use a "Radius Server" ?

NBT
Old April 26th 05, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

You don't mention which version of WG511 ,Ver2 supports WPA but the
original didn't so if you are using the XP Client s/ware you may be able
to enter a "WPA Key" but it will not work.
Assuming you have a V2 have you tried using just Hex characters
instead of a passphrase ,I have had a card where this was the only way
to get it to work, and start with say 10 characters to see if it works
then build up the number.
As an odd thought your router isn't trying to use a "Radius Server" ?

NBT

WG511, v2.
Router not trying (or at least not configured to!) use a RADIUS server.
When you say use hex, do you mean instead of the passphrase or a passphrase
which is all hex?
Will try a short phrase and work up. But why should a shorter phrase make
any difference?

Paul DS

Old April 26th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Questions below...

Make sure you are using WPA/PSK specifically, with specific encryption
which will probably be TKIP.

Didn't spot a specific encryption, but I'll check.

At both ends of course.

Also start off with SSID broadcast NOT disabled.

Why should enabling SSID make a difference?

Lots of people can't get WPA/PSK going.

Is this because of user-lack-of-IQ or a basic failure of Netgear to
implement it sensibly?

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Cheers,
Paul DS.

Old April 26th 05, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

Paul D.Smith wrote:
8............................................... ...

WG511, v2.
Router not trying (or at least not configured to!) use a RADIUS server.
When you say use hex, do you mean instead of the passphrase or a passphrase
which is all hex?

A passphrase which is all hex

Will try a short phrase and work up. But why should a shorter phrase make
any difference?

It shouldn't but on my present set up ,which uses diff manfr's, I have
found that if I use 60 character key and I am 10 metres away from router
it frequently loses connection whereas a 40 character key remains
connected.I can only assume my router is not particularly fast at
processing data and I am not sure how common this is.

Paul DS

Old April 26th 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

It shouldn't but on my present set up ,which uses diff manfr's, I have
found that if I use 60 character key and I am 10 metres away from router
it frequently loses connection whereas a 40 character key remains
connected.I can only assume my router is not particularly fast at
processing data and I am not sure how common this is.

Umm. That seems odd. I would have thought that the passphrase would have
made little difference after the initial connecting exchange but thanks for
the suggestion.

Paul DS.

Old April 26th 05, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
[...]

I have two laptops with WG511 (V1) cards and another with a Broadcom
mini-PCI b/g card. They all connect to my DG834G router (latest beta
firmware) using WPA-PSK and TKIP encryption. I use Windows Zero
Configuration to manage my wireless connections, rather than the Netgear
utility and it works absolutely fine for me on all laptops. But it also
works OK with the Netgear utility as well. I just like to minimise the
amount of extra junk running on my machine so I favour the built-in OS
solution to an extra Netgear app.

I do broadcast SSID and also have MAC filtering with locked IP addresses. My
WPA key is 35 characters of mixed case letters and numerics. I've never had
a problem getting my connections to work.

Sorry, that's no real help, except to say it really should work. Perhaps
there is a clue in the key length or maybe the (special?) characters used.

Old April 26th 05, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Sorry, that's no real help, except to say it really should work. Perhaps
there is a clue in the key length or maybe the (special?) characters used.

Thanks for the info. One of the most interesting suggestions was to use a
shorter passphrase. Being a security nut/worrier, I created a random mixed
alphanumeric phrase of 63 characters which may be my problem!

Paul DS.

Old April 27th 05, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking

Paul,

I have spent many hours over the last week trying to get the DG384G to
connect to my desktop (running XP Pro trying both a Netgear WG111
Adapter and a Belkin PCI 7000uk adapter) using WPA-PSK (TKIP).

I had no problems using 128bit WEP. However; there seems to be an
undocumented problem with the DG384G at 1.05.00 Firmware that is
mentioned on the Web Page for the 2.10.09 Beta Firmware release (See
http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102607.asp) which suggests
there is an issue with WPA when the router is not set to broadcast the
SSID. I think it implies this is a known problem in the 1.05.00
Firmware... who knows?

Anyway, after many hours of fiddling, I found that by turning on SSID
broadcasting I can get WPA-PSK to work and XP can now connect. You need
to make sure you are using WPA-PSK using the TKIP option (not AES) on
your wireless adapter.

Incidentally I am only using a short WPA-PSK key (13 chars). I haven't
experimented with long keys - I was just relieved to get it working.
Well done Netgear! Thanks for wasting all of my evenings for the last
week.

I'm now progressed onto another problem where my PC looses connectivity
with the router after 3-4 hours or so. The wireless link seems fine
(the XP wireless tool (WZC service)) just complains that the connection
has limited connectivity. The signal is good and seems to be connected
- I think it's something to do with DHCP and IP allocation which
expires... still investigating.

Old April 27th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Interesting. This bug is not listed in the latest beta version, but it's
not listed as being fixed either!

Paul DS.