Moving House

Old April 26th 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diver_jim

Default Moving House

We're moving house at the end of May. Currently with Wanadoo 512K, it
will always be Freeserve to me. Never upgraded to the higher speeds as
I was one of the original uncapped downloaders and I didn't want my
80 Gb a month to be halted.

I was dreading phoning them after reading all the negative press their
CS gets. I phoned them on Sunday afternoon asking to cancel but told
the department was shut. Called Monday night, straight through and
no problems. Asked why I was leaving,

"Moving house but I'd probably have moved due to their cap limit"

"That's fine. You've paid in advance, so you can keep the line till
22nd May."

"Just phone back on the 22nd May to confirm. Don't phone the 23rd or
you will be charged."

No problems at all. Mind you how much do you think when I phone back
they'll have forgotten our conversation?

My question is which is the best ISP to go to?

Narrowed it down to either f2s or plusnet, which is better?

PS - Don't ever buy a brand new house. If you thought ISP's were a
shower of merchant bankers, the building trade would win hands down.
They will not give you a definite move in date only a vague season
e.g. Spring/Summer!!! We move out the 26 th May for pastures unknown.
No PC to weeks, how will I survive?

Old April 26th 05, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 26 Apr 2005, "diver_jim" wrote:

Narrowed it down to either f2s or plusnet, which is better?

Depends whether you knowant 2000 kbps for 21.99 or higher speed,
perhaps... but if you wait a few days, there will be some updates
to the Plus.Net accounts and you'll see whether theirs would be of
any interest. I see that F2S has a 50 GB cap, while PN has backed
away from their Fair Use policy (which had a 30 GB day/evening cap
each month, but no restriction from 0100-0800... but academic now)

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old April 26th 05, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:39:54 +0100, Peter M wrote:

Depends whether you knowant 2000 kbps for 21.99 or higher speed,

ooops that was originally "know what you from the service" but then
was being altered to "want 2000 kbps". If you could give the exchange
name /first few digits for the new home, it might be clearer whether PN
speed upgrades will be taking place before end of May or in June/July.

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old April 26th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diver_jim

Hi,

using BT wholesale postcode checker I get

"Our initial test at your postcode indicates that you may be able to
have an ADSL broadband service that provides 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps
download speed. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps
service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply
the broadband service. "

I've actually moved further away from the exchange. I couldn't presuade
the wife to move closer just to get a faster connection, the selfish so
and so.

I think 1 MB looks like is the best I can get

I had originally thought about Plusnet but then found f2s, too
many choices!!

Exchange is East Kilbride.

Thanks

Old April 27th 05, 03:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

diver_jim wrote:
Hi,

using BT wholesale postcode checker I get

"Our initial test at your postcode indicates that you may be able to
have an ADSL broadband service that provides 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps
download speed. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps
service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply
the broadband service. "

I've actually moved further away from the exchange. I couldn't presuade
the wife to move closer just to get a faster connection, the selfish so
and so.

I think 1 MB looks like is the best I can get

I had originally thought about Plusnet but then found f2s, too
many choices!!

Exchange is East Kilbride.

Thanks

Hi there,

Wouldn't worry too much about this. That's what a check on my line says
and I've been running smoothly at 2MB for some time! See if you can get
Freeserve (sorry Wanadoo - Used to work for them back in the day so I'm
in the same habits as you ) to perform a 'woosh test'. That will give
you your true figures and give everyone else here an idea as to whether
or not your line will support 2MB.

Kind Regards,

Old April 27th 05, 03:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 26 Apr 2005, "diver_jim" wrote:

I think 1 MB looks like is the best I can get

Sorry - I was being dumb - as a new customer you would get the highest speed
your line would support anyway from Plus.Net and the upgrade schedule (see a
thread started by Andy Pandy for more info) would be academic! However, the
choices are many, and I suppose without knowing your other thoughts (on what
you do with the connection, if fixed IP is useful, if newsgroups or any item
might 'tip the balance' such as having fax to e-mail or somesuch) then other
people cannot easily suggest any other options which might be even better in
your eyes :-) Peter M.
Old April 27th 05, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 27 Apr 2005 02:34 PlusNet Support Team wrote:

See if you can get Freeserve to perform a 'woosh test'.

"PS - Don't ever buy a brand new house."

It might not be possible unless the line is active... seeing as it's a new
house, it might not have the line enabled or any number allocated yet, and
be waiting for the OP to cough up the 74.99 to BT for phone service... It
seems the OP is expecting not to be able to be using the line until two
weeks into June, or thereabouts... Peter M.

Old April 27th 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diver_jim

Yep, got all that to look forward to, BT want their pound of flesh
also. Fixed IP not a major requirements. Some newsgroups would be
nice but I use Teranews normally for binaries etc.

Thanks for all the help