3Com wireless router does not sync on power up

Old April 26th 05, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doug

Default 3Com wireless router does not sync on power up

Since day one I've had a curious and annoying problem with my 3Com
wireless router set-up.

I was not able to get broadband until BT increased the distance
limits, so I guess we're on the edge of what's possible anyway.
The telephone line enters the house and goes to a standard BT master
socket.
From the socket a line daisy chains around five extensions, using two
pairs (four wires) in a four-pair standard telephone wire.
The wireless ADSL router is normally plugged into the first extension,
but I've tried in the master socket and with other phones disconnected
and the problem remains.
512k ADSL from Virgin.

The router details a

OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router
3C number : 3CRWE754G72-A
Software version : 1.28 (Oct 22 2004 10:15:55)
Boot loader version : V1.4
Wireless version : 2.5.2.0
ADSL modem version : 13.9.38
Hardware version : 01

For reasons that are too tedious to describe, I normally switch the
router off after use.
When the router is switched on, it does not sync. The power and
wireless lights come on, but the sync light flashes forlornly about
once every five seconds.
To get it to sync I must disconnect the router from the wall socket,
change the filter for a different make and re-connect.
The sync light gets busy, flashing once a second for a few seconds
then stays on steady and the "connected" light starts to flash. After
a few more seconds all four lights are on and everything works fine.
Once I've been through this process I can re-boot the router OK and
even switch back to the original filter and it all still works.
Once the router has sync'd OK it normally remains connected (longest
I've tried is two days), however sometimes it will drop out and I need
to change filters again to get it to sync.
If it's been switched off for some time then I need to go through the
above procedure again - don't know exactly how long but certainly
overnight will do it.
If I try switching to an identical filter (i.e. same make/model) the
router does not sync - it must be a different make to work.
So, I have two different filters by the router. My normal start-up
procedure is turn on the router, wait for 30 seconds or so, unplug
from the telephone socket, change the filter for the other one, plug
it back in and wait for 30 seconds again, check all lights are lit.
Quite a bit of messing!
When queried, BT said there was a fault on the line and even sent an
engineer round. I was not in when he arrived, but my wife reported
that all he did was ask her to disconnect everything and then had a
line test done again. With everything disconnected the lnie up to the
master socket reported OK. He left saying that any extra diagnosis
would cost at least £90 - very helpful!

The ADSL stats reported by the router a

Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 22 dB (varies between 6 and 7.5) dB
Output Power 11.5 dBm 15.5 dBm
Attenuation 31.5 dB -62 dB

I'm hopefully going to borrow an exact same router which is known to
be good. I am also trying to organise connecting my router to a known
good connection. Hopefully this will clarify what the problem is (or
possibly confuse further!).

Any one got any ideas, because I'm confused and frustrated! All
assistance gratefully received.

Doug
Old April 26th 05, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Doug wrote:

If I try switching to an identical filter (i.e. same make/model) the
router does not sync - it must be a different make to work.
So, I have two different filters by the router. My normal start-up
procedure is turn on the router, wait for 30 seconds or so, unplug
from the telephone socket, change the filter for the other one, plug
it back in and wait for 30 seconds again, check all lights are lit.
Quite a bit of messing!

If you're talking about ADSL filters, you shouldn't use them at all on
the router, they're for telephones ............

--
The Caretaker .........
Old April 26th 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Doug wrote:

Since day one I've had a curious and annoying problem with my 3Com
wireless router set-up.

I was not able to get broadband until BT increased the distance
limits, so I guess we're on the edge of what's possible anyway.
The telephone line enters the house and goes to a standard BT master
socket.
From the socket a line daisy chains around five extensions, using two
[...]

A) Get a filtered faceplate for your master socket, and plug it into that

B) *Don't* power it off after use - leave it on 7x24 - it ain't exactly
going to run up a large electricity bill!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old April 26th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Nigel M" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband, The Caretaker wrote:

If you're talking about ADSL filters, you shouldn't use them at all on
the router, they're for telephones

Has anyone actually tried plugging an ADSL modem straight into the phone
line to see if it makes any difference in noise / attenuation etc?

I've tried that. Plugged router direct into the test socket behind the
faceplate. No difference at all regarding SNR and attenutation.

I guess that providing the phones all have filters, there should be no
problems. Perhaps there is a use for the 50 or so BT to RJ11 leads I've
got in a drawer!

--
Nigel M

"Time may be a great healer,
but he's a lousy beautician"

Old April 26th 05, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

On the Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:52:38 +0100, Dave uttered forth the
following...
Has anyone actually tried plugging an ADSL modem straight into the phone
line to see if it makes any difference in noise / attenuation etc?

I've tried that. Plugged router direct into the test socket behind the
faceplate. No difference at all regarding SNR and attenutation.

Have you got Auto-connect switched on?
Old April 26th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Nigel M
writes
I guess that providing the phones all have filters, there should be no
problems. Perhaps there is a use for the 50 or so BT to RJ11 leads I've
got in a drawer!

BT face plate filter, all extensions filtered through that except the
one that feeds the router and that's plugged in using a BT to RJ11 lead,
they're also ideal if you get lines installed specially for ADSL and
nothing else as I do occasionally, saves buying a filter at all.

--
Clint Sharp
Old April 26th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Nigel M
writes
I guess that providing the phones all have filters, there should be no
problems. Perhaps there is a use for the 50 or so BT to RJ11 leads I've
got in a drawer!

BT face plate filter, all extensions filtered through that except the one
that feeds the router and that's plugged in using a BT to RJ11 lead,
they're also ideal if you get lines installed specially for ADSL and
nothing else as I do occasionally, saves buying a filter at all.

Better go & have a closer look at that SSFP of yours, you need a RJ11 to
RJ11 lead for your router/modem if you connected using a BT to RJ11 guess
what.....

That's right it's filtered so the Router won't synch....

Old April 27th 05, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message ,
kraftee writes

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
BT face plate filter, all extensions filtered through that except the one

^^^^^^^
that feeds the router and that's plugged in using a BT to RJ11 lead,
they're also ideal if you get lines installed specially for ADSL and
nothing else as I do occasionally, saves buying a filter at all.

Better go & have a closer look at that SSFP of yours, you need a RJ11 to
RJ11 lead for your router/modem if you connected using a BT to RJ11 guess
what.....

Errrm, no, all extensions filtered through the face plate *EXCEPT* the
one that feeds the router. At the end of that extension the router is
plugged into a standard BT socket using a BT to RJ11 lead.

That's right it's filtered so the Router won't synch....

All extensions are filtered except one, that's right, it's not filtered
so the router does sync.

--
Clint Sharp
Old April 27th 05, 03:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 26 Apr 2005 19:39, Clint Sharp wrote:

BT face plate filter ... they're also ideal if you get lines installed
specially for ADSL and nothing else ... saves buying a filter at all.

um, surely the cost of a filtered face plate compares with 'buying a
filter'. Some of the routers I've bought included a filter and the
RJ11 -- RJ11 cable, others had RJ11 - BT plug (so no filter if
the situation was 'as described' - cheaper than a faceplate, or a
filter (but I suppose a filter and a phone would be handy in case
of needing to report an ADSL fault or contact BT for any line prob).

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old April 27th 05, 05:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message ,
kraftee writes

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
BT face plate filter, all extensions filtered through that except the
one

^^^^^^^
that feeds the router and that's plugged in using a BT to RJ11 lead,
they're also ideal if you get lines installed specially for ADSL and
nothing else as I do occasionally, saves buying a filter at all.

Better go & have a closer look at that SSFP of yours, you need a RJ11 to
RJ11 lead for your router/modem if you connected using a BT to RJ11 guess
what.....

Errrm, no, all extensions filtered through the face plate *EXCEPT* the
one that feeds the router. At the end of that extension the router is
plugged into a standard BT socket using a BT to RJ11 lead.

But if you are using a SSFP _ALL_ extensions are filtered, if you are wiring
correctly & if you aren't you can expect at least a visit charge when the
next time the BT man calls as you shouldn't be playing with the screw
terminals on the back of a NTE backplate.....