Netgear DG834GT router "LCP Down CHAP authentication failed"

Old April 26th 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

Default Netgear DG834GT router "LCP Down CHAP authentication failed"

trying to connect to my UKOnline ASDL the supplied Actiontec router
works fine but the Netgear DG834GT router I've bought reports "LCP Down"
followed by "CHAP authentication failed".

Has anybody else encountered this with this router - what
explanation/solution is possible?

--
dave @ stejonda

No guru, no church, no dependency. Beyond the farmyard the wind in the trees.
The fool by the signless signpost stands pointing the way
Old April 26th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil P

dave @ stejonda wrote:

trying to connect to my UKOnline ASDL the supplied Actiontec router
works fine but the Netgear DG834GT router I've bought reports "LCP Down"
followed by "CHAP authentication failed".

Has anybody else encountered this with this router - what
explanation/solution is possible?

CHAP authentication failed = Your username/password is wrong.
Old April 26th 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Anthony R. Gold
writes
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:49:05 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

Has anybody else encountered this with this router - what
explanation/solution is possible?

Have you tried setting up using the Setup Wizard? That way you only need
to enter the Login and Password, let the router determine everything else.

Yeps - that's what I did first.

I have now found a forum thread on the Netgear site which suggests I am
not alone with this problem

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=2361

However, apart from lowering MTU and trying beta firmware (neither of
which seem to have helped) I've found no suggestions so far (22 pages).

I did phone Netgear tech support - they suggested resetting the router
which I've done to no avail - and then they said maybe try beta firmware
and then maybe swapping it over for a new one. Actually Netgear I think
I'll just get my money back and go for another brand thanks!

--
dave @ stejonda
Old April 26th 05, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Neil P
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:
trying to connect to my UKOnline ASDL the supplied Actiontec router
works fine but the Netgear DG834GT router I've bought reports "LCP
Down" followed by "CHAP authentication failed".
Has anybody else encountered this with this router - what
explanation/solution is possible?

CHAP authentication failed = Your username/password is wrong.

Yep but not the case. LCP doesn't complete/connect or whatever.

I've written in / pasted in the username/pw several times.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old April 26th 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:50:19 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

I have now found a forum thread on the Netgear site which suggests I am
not alone with this problem

I guess your unit has a hardware fault. I use several of these in varied
(PPPoE, PPPoA, fixed-IP, dynamic IP, NAT and non-NAT) configurations and I
did have to return just one duff one for exchange.

Tony

I've seen this occasionally in the 16 months I've had my DG834G but not for
many months recently. Normally it would sort itself after a few attempts or
maybe a few minutes. These day it never misses a beat. I guess the problems
may be firmware related or just waiting for the planets to align properly.
Mine is now faultless (latest beta firmware) and I've never felt the need to
replace it.

Old April 26th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Anthony R. Gold
writes
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:30:48 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
wrote:

I use several of these

BTW, mine are all DG834G and not DG834GT, but I guess all the differences
are all in the wireless and there are none in the modem.

Tho' perhaps not... from the forum thread the DG834 doesn't seem to have
a problems the GT that does.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old April 26th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Anthony R. Gold
writes
wrote:

I have now found a forum thread on the Netgear site which suggests I am
not alone with this problem

I guess your unit has a hardware fault. I use several of these in varied
(PPPoE, PPPoA, fixed-IP, dynamic IP, NAT and non-NAT) configurations and I
did have to return just one duff one for exchange.

Hmmm, ok Tony, thanks. I trust what you say but at 1/1 faulty I'm
regretting buying it and am tempted to send it back for refund while I
can and get an alternative.

Suggestions?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old April 26th 05, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
news
In message , Anthony R. Gold
writes
wrote:

I have now found a forum thread on the Netgear site which suggests I am
not alone with this problem

I guess your unit has a hardware fault. I use several of these in varied
(PPPoE, PPPoA, fixed-IP, dynamic IP, NAT and non-NAT) configurations and I
did have to return just one duff one for exchange.

Hmmm, ok Tony, thanks. I trust what you say but at 1/1 faulty I'm
regretting buying it and am tempted to send it back for refund while I can
and get an alternative.

Suggestions?

Have you tried temporarily changing the username/password to
[email protected]_domain and fred (well, any password will do!). This should
connect. If not, I'd definitely suspect the modem and or the hardware
settings that the wizard has chosen.

My DG834GT exhibited repeated problems authenticating (it would connect one
time in about ten and then would stay connected for only about 10 minutes)
while BT were still doing their initial activation work. However this went
away when the line was properly activated and it has remained connected
continuously for about 15 days since then. That's with Force 9 (part of
PlusNet).

Check the log to see if it ever connects or if it is failing every single
time that it's trying.

I'd expect the various broadband parameters to be

VPI 0
VCI 38
Multiplex VC-based
Encapsulation PPPoA
MTU 1458 (try also 1400 and 1500)

When I briefly tried it on a customer's AOL line to prove that model would
work before she bought one, the parameters were set by the wizard to the
same values and I never got authenticated until I reduced the MTU to AOL's
value of 1400.

What ISP are you with? I wonder if it's an ISP/router compatibility problem.
Have you checked with the ISP's helpdesk to see if any other customers have
had problems with this router? They may also be able to tell you if any of
the parameters need to be changed from the values that the wizard has
allocated.

Old April 27th 05, 02:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 26 Apr 2005 18:30, "Anthony R. Gold" wrote:

I guess your unit has a hardware fault. I use several of these in varied
(PPPoE, PPPoA, fixed-IP, dynamic IP, NAT and non-NAT) configurations and I

Just a query, Tony, on which ISP (if any) is using PPPoE in the Uk (or are
you reporting use of Netgear kit outside the UK :-) Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old April 27th 05, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Martin
Underwood writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
news

brevitysnip

Suggestions?

Have you tried temporarily changing the username/password to
[email protected]_domain and fred (well, any password will do!). This should
connect.

I'm using an Easynet LLU line - would this still work?

If not, I'd definitely suspect the modem and or the hardware
settings that the wizard has chosen.

snip
Check the log to see if it ever connects or if it is failing every single
time that it's trying.

It fails every time whereas the Actiontec I have connects every time.

I'd expect the various broadband parameters to be

VPI 0
VCI 38
Multiplex VC-based
Encapsulation PPPoA

Yup - exactly those (thanks).

MTU 1458 (try also 1400 and 1500)

Was 1458. Have also now tried 1400 & 1500 to no avail.

--
dave @ stejonda