Tiscali 512kbps Unlimited Speed Upgrade is misleading

Old April 26th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric M

Default Tiscali 512kbps Unlimited Speed Upgrade is misleading

Just over a year ago, I signed up with Tiscali on a 512kbps UNLIMITED
package and the service was great for most of the time (despite what some
people might say about Tiscali in this group, they were fine and speeds were
pretty much as they claimed they would be). At the back end of last year I
was informed that they were going to upgrade the service to 1Mbit for all
existing 512kbps UNLIMITED customers. In January this year I was emailed by
Tiscali, telling me that they were going to upgrade my connection to 1Mbit
FREE OF CHARGE! and that this upgrade would take place before the end of
March 2005. The upgrade did in fact take place in the middle of March and I
received an email confirming the new 1MBit service. I was pleased with the
extra speed of my new service (I regularly got the 125k+ a sec I expected of
the new service. Yesterday I had a break in service and when it returned I
was back on 512kbps. I waited until today and still no increase in the
speed (I am being billed for 1Mbit UNLIMITED package, or so I thought...).
After telephoning them today, I have now found out that the 1Mbit service IS
NOT unlimited and has never been! So Tiscali upgraded my speed from 512kbps
UNLIMITED USE, to 1MBit CAPPED without telling me the new service was
capped! They did this automatically, without even asking me if I wanted it
! At no point during communication by letter or email did they ever mention
once that the faster speed would be a capped service!

This is a warning for anyone out there using Tiscali, who originally signed
up for a 512Kbps UNLIMITED package and who have been upgraded to 1MBit.....
YOUR SERVICE IS NOW CAPPED, even though they never bothered to tell you in
the letter they posted out to all their 512kbps UNLIMITED customers in March
2005! So, just to clear the confusion that Tiscali have created, if you
signed up to an unlimited package (512Kbps) and you have had your speed
upgraded to 1MBit, you will now be on capped useage scheme.

On the plus side, the service I have had from them has been very reliable
(most of the time), but why didn't they bother to make it clear that the
upgrade in speed would mean being capped on monthly useage.... I'm not happy
about the way they mis-led me into thinking they were upgrading my UNLIMITED
service.

Finally, for some unknown reason, yesterday I was downgraded from 1Mbit to
512kbps and if this hadn't have hapenned I would never have never known the
true facts about htis so called upgrade they offered in March.

Thanks for letting us all know Tiscali! Very misleading indeed, in my
opinion!

Old April 26th 05, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt

"Eric M" wrote in message
[...]

Well here's the opportunity to get out of their 12 month contract.

Move to PIPEX with 1mb unlimited for 23.44, no 12 month contract (although
you have to pay a cancellation fee equal to the activation fee they've
paid), provision over IPStream, and 10gb newsgroup account provided by
outsourcing to giganews.com.

Old April 27th 05, 05:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Thanks for letting us all know Tiscali! Very misleading indeed, in my
opinion!

Now you know why people complain about Tiscali, its not the bb, but the
org which sucks.

Dave

again
in the future!!