Dream on...

Old April 26th 05, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

Default Dream on...

1Gbps broadband rolled out in Hong Kong - [Internet]
Submitted by monktallica on 4/25/2005 11:14:01 AM 42 Comments

Hong Kong Broadband Network has launched a new ultra fast service. The
symmetric 1Gbps service costs approximately 112 per month, but obliterates
the kind of speeds we are used to in the UK. We are eagerly waiting for the
rollout of an 8Mbps service and consider that to be fast.

While this kind of speed is unlikely to be available in the UK for some
time, the possibilities for its use are immense. Large publishers could
offer direct download services for their games, online gaming could be
revolutionised and TV channels could be streamed at MPEG-2 DVD quality. It
is hard to actually imagine speeds reaching 1Gbps in the UK, but we can
dream.

Source: Pro-G

Special discounts for pig-farmers!

Old April 26th 05, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Butler

and the 'fair use policy' of all the crappy ISPs would ensure that your
service was put on hold or charged a premium after just 5 minutes of maxed
out downloading :-)

Old April 26th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:29, "Martin" wrote:

1Gbps broadband rolled out in Hong Kong - [Internet]
Submitted by monktallica on 4/25/2005 11:14:01 AM 42 Comments

Source: Pro-G

Never heard of "Pro-G" but saw mention of this elsewhere....

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2210

(and PCPro.co.uk, WebProNews.com, BroadbandReports.com)

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old April 26th 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Martin" wrote in message
1Gbps broadband rolled out in Hong Kong - [Internet]
Submitted by monktallica on 4/25/2005 11:14:01 AM 42 Comments

What sort of phone service do they have there? Is it copper wire like ours?
or fibre optic or something else?

Old April 26th 05, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob C

1Gbps broadband rolled out in Hong Kong - [Internet]
Submitted by monktallica on 4/25/2005 11:14:01 AM 42 Comments

What sort of phone service do they have there? Is it copper wire like
ours? or fibre optic or something else?

Noodle.

Sorry, I couldn't resist it; I'll get my coat.

Old April 27th 05, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
londoncityslicker

"Beck" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
1Gbps broadband rolled out in Hong Kong - [Internet]
Submitted by monktallica on 4/25/2005 11:14:01 AM 42 Comments

What sort of phone service do they have there? Is it copper wire like

ours?
or fibre optic or something else?

Well it's definitely not copper. It'll be fibre.

GigE has only just really happened in the business end in the UK. And then
at hugely greater prices than 129

But just shows what can be done.
But it must be costing a bomb to kit out.

Hong Kong is quite densely populated and apartment living is the thing so
the logistics and costs of providing
fibre to a building and then GigE to a home may well be possible. I'm sure
their accountants have done the sums.

Maybe they should have a trial in large apartment blocks in the UK? Or not .
.. .

A.

Old April 27th 05, 01:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:29:49 +0100, "Beck"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
1Gbps broadband rolled out in Hong Kong - [Internet]
Submitted by monktallica on 4/25/2005 11:14:01 AM 42 Comments

What sort of phone service do they have there? Is it copper wire like ours?
or fibre optic or something else?

It isn't supplied over the phone service as such. It is an ethernet
based service, and is only practical at present because such a high
proportion of HK households live in apartments, meaning one main
router per apartment block, with the service being supplied over fibre
to that router, then split over ethernet to the apartments in the
block.

I suspect, although it is not clear from the article, that the 1GB/sec
is shared between all the apartments in the block.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old April 27th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 27 Apr 2005 00:51, Alex Heney wrote:

I suspect, although it is not clear from the article, that the 1GB/sec
is shared between all the apartments in the block.

It looks like you could get the whole 1000/1000 Mbps yourself, for about
110 quid a month. The 100/100 Mbps and 10/10 Mbps are significantly less
at under 20 and under 12 quid a month respectively. A US writer compared
the HK pricing with his local service, which was US$55 for 3 Mbps and was
less than impressed with US pricing (understandably). I just wonder what
numbers of users at the highest speed it will take before they have to do
some limiting/charging by volume. Unless much of the data is local, then
there will be significant bottlenecks on international links, making that
high speed far from essential/useful, IMO. (Text below is from one of a
number of articles about the Hong Kong service over the past few days...)

http://www.convergedigest.com/Bandwidth/newnetworksarticle.asp?ID=14545

Hong Kong Broadband Launches 1 Gbps Home Service for US$215/month

Hong Kong Broadband Network (HKBN) officially launched its 1 Gbps symmetric
service for the residential market. Approximately 800,000 households, out of
a total of 2.2 million households in Hong Kong, are wired to receive the
service. The 1 Gbps symmetric service is priced at US$215 per month.

HKBN Premium bb1000 service is being offered on the same metro Ethernet
infrastructure that delivers the company's Mass Market bb100
(symmetric 100 Mbps for US$34/month) and Entry Point bb10
(symmetric 10 Mbps for US$16/month) services.
http://www.ctinets.com/

HKBN is installing more than 10,000 Cisco Catalyst LAN switches and more
than 800 Cisco routers in buildings throughout Hong Kong. Category 5e copper
cables are wired from the LAN switch cabinet to the apartments of each target
customer. Fiber-to-the-building (FTTB) was deployed between the buildings
using the Cisco ONS 15454 Multiservice Transport Platform (MSTP) and Cisco
Catalyst 4507R Switches.

HKBN is also using a Cisco Optical Core network. The deployment includes the
Cisco ONS 15454 SONET/SDH Multiservice Provisioning Platform (MSPP); Cisco
Catalyst 6500, Catalyst 4500, Catalyst 3350, and Catalyst 2950 series
switches; and Cisco 2600XM Series routers. Cisco's ONS 15454 MSPP enables
the carrier to converge its legacy voice and data services and a new pay-TV
service into a single platform, and at the same time offer Layer 2 and 3 IP
services using Resilient Packet Ring (RPR)-ready ML Series line cards. The
network enables HKBN to deliver up to 200 digital pay-TV channels via MPEG-2
at 4.5 Mbps to 10 Mbps with DVD visual quality. Its service also features
interactive pay-TV elements and enables PC or TV connection with the aid
of a set-top box.

Old April 28th 05, 01:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Peter M" wrote in message
s.net...
I just wonder what
numbers of users at the highest speed it will take before they have to do
some limiting/charging by volume. Unless much of the data is local, then
there will be significant bottlenecks on international links, making that
high speed far from essential/useful, IMO.

It appears to me that the maximum speeds (100Mbps or 1Gps depending on the
service) are only available for local traffic

International traffic is capped at 20Mbps
(http://www.ctinets.com/bb1000/html/0..._new_offer.htm or in
English http://bb100.hkbn.net/BB100/04_new-offer/04_index_e.htm which is
for the 100Mbps option but the same applies for the 1Gbps service)

Regards
Sunil

Old April 28th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 28 Apr 2005 00:33, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

International traffic is capped at 20Mbps
http://bb100.hkbn.net/BB100/04_new-offer/04_index_e.htm

Pretty good for 18 quid a month! Thanks Sunil. I didn't go chasing other
links, and am hardly surprised about the policies they've adopted. I guess
there'll be a big market in streaming audio/video across HK... Peter M.