UK on Line

Old April 26th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

Default UK on Line

I rang UK on line to find out about their broadband service.
They wanted to know who my present IP was.
I said that I had dial-up through Tiscali.
They said that I would have to notify Tiscali if I changed to another
supplier for broadband.

Why?
As far as I'm concerned, its nothing to do with Tiscali, or UKonline, and
anyway I want to keep my dial up account for the time being.

Do Tiscali need to be informed, or are UKonline talking rubbish? If the
latter, it would appear that their help line would be of little use were I
to join them and have a problem.

Brian

Old April 26th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:49, "Brian" wrote:

I rang UK on line to find out about their broadband service.
They wanted to know who my present IP was.

I said that I had dial-up through Tiscali.

They said that I would have to notify Tiscali if I changed to another
supplier for broadband.

Do Tiscali need to be informed, or are UKonline talking rubbish?

I think whoever you spoke to might not have heard the 'dial-up' (and
I was speaking to someone yesterday who was complaining about a very
long time to get updates from MickeyShaft, and I asked him again to
confirm it was not dial-up he was using).

If the CS person assumed you were on Tiscali ADSL, then they were far
from talking rubbish, I'd put it down to a misunderstanding. Simply,
if you have ADSL then to switch you need to use a Migration Access
Code (or similar - a MAC anyway) which has to be issued by your ADSL
ISP (remember they may think you are using ADSL right now :-) so it's
probably just a case of ringing again and when they say "Who are you
using" say "It's dial up on an 0845". Keep your dial-up if you want
and hope all goes well on the switch to UK Online. Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old April 26th 05, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 26 Apr 2005 17:49, "Brian" wrote:

to notify Tiscali if I changed to another supplier for broadband

Note the 'to another supplier' - looks like they definitely think
you have ADSL on your line, in my opinion. Easy mistake to make.

[NB I'm not a customer of UK Online, but have shares in Easynet ]

Old April 27th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yozzi

"Peter M" wrote in message
s.net...
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:49, "Brian" wrote:

I rang UK on line to find out about their broadband service.
They wanted to know who my present IP was.

I said that I had dial-up through Tiscali.

They said that I would have to notify Tiscali if I changed to another
supplier for broadband.

Common sense? If you don't cancel you'd still get charged by Tiscali. I feel
you've all missed that..

Old April 27th 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jet Morgan

"Brian" bj[hyphen]edwards[at]tiscali[dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message
I rang UK on line to find out about their broadband service.
They wanted to know who my present IP was.
I said that I had dial-up through Tiscali.
They said that I would have to notify Tiscali if I changed to another
supplier for broadband.

You can only (in practice) have one ADSL service on each telephone
line. The persun to whom you spoke presumably thought you already
had ADSL from Tiscali and wanted to have ADSL with both Tiscali AND
UNOnline.

The fact that you specifically said "dialup" to that persun probably
didn't register with them. (Your original post suggests this,
where you said ".. changed to another .. for broadband".)

Best to call UK Online and say you have *no* current supplier, ADSL
or dialup.

Richard [in PE12]