WPA-PSK "expert" question

Old April 27th 05, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Default WPA-PSK "expert" question

All,

I've been having problems with WPA-PSK and it has been suggested to me that
I should reduce the passphrase length. I will try this, but having tried to
find out more about WPA, I'm not sure why this would help (although I'm not
saying it won't!).

So can a WPA-PSK "expert" tell me how this might help? My reading indicates
that WPA always uses the same number of "security bits/key" on a message
regardless of the size of the passphrase so its not clear to me why reducing
the size of the initial passphrase would help.

Aside: Note that I'm not saying that a small passphrase is "as secure"
because presumably the odds on finding it are reduced since there is less
initial randomness.

Paul DS.
--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old April 27th 05, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric M

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Paul, I think you might get a better response by posting this message in
'uk.comp.home-networking' They do seem quite a knowledgeable lot in there
regarding WPA and the like.

I can't answer your question, although I do use WPA-PSK with a 64character
passphrase.

Regards

Old April 27th 05, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

"Peter" wrote in message

"Paul D.Smith" wrote:

I've been having problems with WPA-PSK and it has been suggested to me
that
I should reduce the passphrase length. I will try this, but having tried
find out more about WPA, I'm not sure why this would help (although I'm
not
saying it won't!).

The only benefit of testing with a shorter passphrase is that it is
less likely to differ between one end and the other

Of course, if you keep it handy in a .txt file like I do then you can cut
and paste with the certainty that it is correct at both ends.

Old April 28th 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Not true. Read my latest "Update" post. To avoid doing anything stupid, I
used really simple passphrases for my testing such as "123456..." and
increased 8 characters at a time from the earlier, working, passphrase. Up
to 32 characters, all worked, beyond that - all bets were off!

Paul DS.