Distance from exchange?

Old April 27th 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rod Bean

Default Distance from exchange?

Hi Guys

How can I find out the distance from my local exchange? I seem to
remember that there is a number that engineers can dial that will
provide an automated calculation.

Thanks in anticipation!

RB
Old April 27th 05, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Rod Bean wrote:
: How can I find out the distance from my local exchange? I seem to
: remember that there is a number that engineers can dial that will
: provide an automated calculation.

Not any more there isn't!!! That option got removed as too many people were,
presumably, using it.

Old April 27th 05, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
Rod Bean wrote:
: How can I find out the distance from my local exchange? I seem to
: remember that there is a number that engineers can dial that will
: provide an automated calculation.

Not any more there isn't!!! That option got removed as too many people
were,
presumably, using it.

A good old fashioned 1970s attitude to service provision:
" Pub lunches will no longer be served due to excessive demand"

Gaz

Old April 27th 05, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Bush

"Rod Bean" wrote in message
Hi Guys

How can I find out the distance from my local exchange? I seem to
remember that there is a number that engineers can dial that will provide
an automated calculation.

Thanks in anticipation!

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php then click the 'locality'
button.

This gives you straight-line distance.

Neil

Old April 27th 05, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Rod Bean wrote:
: How can I find out the distance from my local exchange? I seem to
: remember that there is a number that engineers can dial that will
: provide an automated calculation.

Not any more there isn't!!! That option got removed as too many people
were,
presumably, using it.

A good old fashioned 1970s attitude to service provision:
" Pub lunches will no longer be served due to excessive demand"

Nope it was a limited resource designed for the field engineers usage, who
couldn't use it because everybody, their dog & their neighbours cat was.

The distance reported by the test was often inaccurate & also the fact that
it was saying line test ok had nothing to do with ADSL provision, which a
lot of people were taking it to mean.

It also didnot take into account what the network was physically made up
off..

Basically using 17070 to find out if you could have ADSL was a futile
exercise which the general public decided was meaningful (I myself was
testing 3.5km from exchange, fairly close to reality but still out & yet I
couldn't have ADSL until some cables were replaced & the limits were
relaxed)

Old April 27th 05, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Neil Bush" wrote in message

"Rod Bean" wrote in message
Hi Guys

How can I find out the distance from my local exchange? I seem to
remember that there is a number that engineers can dial that will

provide
an automated calculation.

Thanks in anticipation!

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php then click the 'locality'
button.

This gives you straight-line distance.

Gah! That takes the p1ss. I'm 2.15km from the exchange as the crow flows
but my line is 7.1km. What on earth did BT decide to wrap it round????

Neil

Old April 27th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:50:09 +0100, "Dave" wrote:

"Neil Bush" wrote in message

"Rod Bean" wrote in message
Hi Guys

How can I find out the distance from my local exchange? I seem to
remember that there is a number that engineers can dial that will

provide
an automated calculation.

Thanks in anticipation!

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php then click the 'locality'
button.

This gives you straight-line distance.

Gah! That takes the p1ss. I'm 2.15km from the exchange as the crow flows
but my line is 7.1km. What on earth did BT decide to wrap it round????

It's probably done about half a mile before it leaves the exchange, it then has
to follow street layouts, pass through intermediate terminal boxes etc before it
finally gets to your home.

JPG

Neil

Old April 27th 05, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

Rod Bean wrote:
: How can I find out the distance from my local exchange? I seem to
: remember that there is a number that engineers can dial that will
: provide an automated calculation.

Not any more there isn't!!! That option got removed as too many people were,
presumably, using it.

If what you want is broadband, AIUI nowadays they will try and connect you at
512K regardless of line length, and at least try to make it work. Some times not
possible (economically viable).

My line is 6.1km long which was enabled last Sept when the limits were
relaxed/removed. My connection works fine connecting to master socket.

For 2.5 years BT refused to provide me with broadband. I even have a letter from
them quoting the line length and telling me that supply was not possible! I am
now sceptical of anything that they say!

--

Michael Chare

Old April 27th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

"Dave" wrote in
:

Gah! That takes the p1ss. I'm 2.15km from the exchange as the crow
flows but my line is 7.1km. What on earth did BT decide to wrap it
round????

If you're in Milton Keynes, then roundabouts :-)

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old April 27th 05, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

I know the feeling. I can almost see the exchange across the fields
4.04 Km away yet my line is 8.7 Km. The present scenic route does not
allow the ADSL signal to get to within 2Km of where live.