Which wireless routers are pre-enabled for wireless set-up?

Old April 27th 05, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

Default Which wireless routers are pre-enabled for wireless set-up?

I wish to set up a wireless network but do not wish to install a wired ethernet
link to the set-up pc (I only have wireless cards in the PC and laptop and no
integrated networking or USB/PCI network devices)

AIUI, some wireless routers are wireless pre-enabled to allow initial router
configuration to be carried out wirelessly.

Is there a list of suitable routers? I understand some of the latest Belkin
models may allow wireless configuration.

JPG

Old April 27th 05, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Personally, I've plan on having at least a back-up wired link. You're bound
to change something and once the link has gone, you presuambly have to flush
the entire router set-up to get back to one that works.

Paul DS

Old April 27th 05, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:26:08 +0100, JPG wrote:

I wish to set up a wireless network but do not wish to install a wired ethernet
link to the set-up pc (I only have wireless cards in the PC and laptop and no
integrated networking or USB/PCI network devices)

AIUI, some wireless routers are wireless pre-enabled to allow initial router
configuration to be carried out wirelessly.

Is there a list of suitable routers? I understand some of the latest Belkin
models may allow wireless configuration.

All models I am aware of will allow it.

None recommend it.

If you really don't have an ethernet connection in your laptop, it is
probably about time you got a new one. I haven't seen one on sale
without ethernet capability for about 5 years now.

There are more PCs sold without network cards, because it is easier
and cheaper to add those to a PC (10 or less).

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Megabyte: A nine course dinner.

Old April 27th 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave P

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:26:08 +0100, JPG wrote:

I wish to set up a wireless network but do not wish to install a wired
ethernet
link to the set-up pc (I only have wireless cards in the PC and laptop and
no
integrated networking or USB/PCI network devices)

AIUI, some wireless routers are wireless pre-enabled to allow initial
router
configuration to be carried out wirelessly.

Is there a list of suitable routers? I understand some of the latest
Belkin
models may allow wireless configuration.

This Belkin is.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...f5d7630-4a.asp

I've been using it for a few months. Excellent.

Dave

Old April 27th 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"JPG" wrote in message
news
I wish to set up a wireless network but do not wish to install a wired
ethernet
link to the set-up pc (I only have wireless cards in the PC and laptop and
no
integrated networking or USB/PCI network devices)

AIUI, some wireless routers are wireless pre-enabled to allow initial
router
configuration to be carried out wirelessly.

Is there a list of suitable routers? I understand some of the latest
Belkin
models may allow wireless configuration.

I have not come across one that wasnt preenabled.

Gaz

JPG