ICT teacher at college, wrong?

Old April 27th 05, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default ICT teacher at college, wrong?

I'm almost 100% sure my IT teacher is so wrong but will not accept the
fact that he is wrong and I am right.

He seems to think most green boxes on estates (where they house the
telephone lines) connect via the greenbox to the local exchange via
fibre optics. Now I was under the impression if this was the case ADSL
wouldn't work, but since 98% of the population can get ADSL Im assuming
its mostly copper to the ADSL exchange. He refers to these green boxes
at MSTU's which are meant to convert analogue signals to digital? BUt
are green boxes MSTU's?

He also seems to think that copper lines are only good for 10Mb/s???
Eh? lol. Has he not heard of ADSL2?

Can somebody direct me to a good link which I can give him to touch up
on his knowledge. He's quite a stubborn man so it will need to straight
forward and plain so he will accept it!

Thanks

Dan

Old April 27th 05, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

What I can gather, is that the "last mile" from the customers premises to
the exchange is all copper. There's some parts of the country that use fibre
but only a few. Cable cos use coax from the premises to the green boxes,
then fibre from the green boxes to their local headends.

Old April 27th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Kay

wrote:
I'm almost 100% sure my IT teacher is so wrong but will not accept the
fact that he is wrong and I am right.

Ah the wisdom of youth !!!

He seems to think most green boxes on estates (where they house the
telephone lines) connect via the greenbox to the local exchange via
fibre optics. Now I was under the impression if this was the case ADSL
wouldn't work, but since 98% of the population can get ADSL Im assuming
its mostly copper to the ADSL exchange. He refers to these green boxes
at MSTU's which are meant to convert analogue signals to digital? BUt
are green boxes MSTU's?

Maybe the "Green boxes" you will see around Kings Hedges Cambridge where
you most likely study, belong to NTL.

* Running with that assumption *

The smaller type 2 cabinets are connected by copper to the larger type 1
cabinets which are connected to the exchange via fibre optic. It's the
way the local SDH networks was constructed. Then again NTL do not
distribute broadband via ADSL.

He also seems to think that copper lines are only good for 10Mb/s???
Eh? lol. Has he not heard of ADSL2?

I don't think the cable companies can crank their broadband service at
more than 10Mbs-1

Can somebody direct me to a good link which I can give him to touch up
on his knowledge. He's quite a stubborn man so it will need to straight
forward and plain so he will accept it!

Possibly you need to do a bit more reading yourself first.

Then again, what do I know. I neither live in Cambridge or work for NTL :0)
Old April 27th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow SJ

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm almost 100% sure my IT teacher is so wrong but will not accept the
fact that he is wrong and I am right.

It is generally the case that teachers and text books will simplify things
for people to pass the exams - rather than going into the if's and buts.

For BT you are right, for cable he is right.

He seems to think most green boxes on estates (where they house the
telephone lines) connect via the greenbox to the local exchange via
fibre optics. Now I was under the impression if this was the case ADSL
wouldn't work, but since 98% of the population can get ADSL Im assuming
its mostly copper to the ADSL exchange. He refers to these green boxes
at MSTU's which are meant to convert analogue signals to digital? BUt
are green boxes MSTU's?

He also seems to think that copper lines are only good for 10Mb/s???
Eh? lol. Has he not heard of ADSL2?

Can somebody direct me to a good link which I can give him to touch up
on his knowledge. He's quite a stubborn man so it will need to straight
forward and plain so he will accept it!

Thanks

Dan

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293.
Opinions are those of the sender only, you must not forward, copy, or quote
this email without permission.

Old April 27th 05, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

wrote:

He seems to think most green boxes on estates (where they house the
telephone lines) connect via the greenbox to the local exchange via
fibre optics.

those would be grey boxes, if they were connected by TPON fibre. The
green ones are fed with fat multicore copper.

Now I was under the impression if this was the case ADSL
wouldn't work,

correct

but since 98% of the population can get ADSL Im assuming
its mostly copper to the ADSL exchange.

there are less than 50,000 lines out of 29 million served by TPON
(telephony passive optical network ?).

Phil

Old April 27th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NBT

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

BT Basics
http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Networkstory/

Old April 27th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

NBT wrote:

BT Basics
http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Networkstory/

Love it including this from slide 20:-

"The concentrator also 'multiplexes' calls. Multiplexing interleaves
many calls together on a single wire or fibre."

Dad, what does interleave mean?

Old April 27th 05, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:02:16 +0000 (UTC), "NBT"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Just been through it. Didn't realise BT were into comedy!

Jake

Old April 28th 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:30:33 +0100, "Albrow SJ"
wrote:

Please can I quote your email?

Thanks

Richard