What's BULLDOG's "can do" worth?

Old April 28th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveL

Default What's BULLDOG's "can do" worth?

Both Bulldog's web page checker and a Bulldog sales girl claim that I
can get the 4MB broadband package.

Trouble is BT have always maintained that I'm outside the 3.5km range
(3.9 Km by line test) and have refused to offer more than 512
(latterly 1MB).

Are Bulldog bull****ting to get customers or can they deliver?

MTIA.
Old April 28th 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"SteveL" wrote in message
Both Bulldog's web page checker and a Bulldog sales girl claim that I
can get the 4MB broadband package.

Trouble is BT have always maintained that I'm outside the 3.5km range
(3.9 Km by line test) and have refused to offer more than 512
(latterly 1MB).

Are Bulldog bull****ting to get customers or can they deliver?

MTIA.

Bulldog are using their own DSLAMS in the BT exchanges and therefore can
offer whatever they want to their customers.

They do have more relaxed limits than BT do, but it might be that you
physically can't get 4Mb's and their checker only does a "If customer is not
on LLU exchange then print "You can get up to 4mbs". On the other hand it
could be that you could easily get 4Mb's.

It's a test you have to take!

Old April 28th 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"SteveL" wrote in message
Both Bulldog's web page checker and a Bulldog sales girl claim that I
can get the 4MB broadband package.

Trouble is BT have always maintained that I'm outside the 3.5km range
(3.9 Km by line test) and have refused to offer more than 512
(latterly 1MB).

Are Bulldog bull****ting to get customers or can they deliver?

On exchanges that Bulldog have LLU'ed (i.e. those that they offer a 4MB
service on) Bulldog use their own equipment in the BT exchange.

This means that they are not limited to the same ADSL qualification criteria
that BT Wholesale use and can provide faster speeds than BT Wholesale will
currently allow you.

Whether your own line can support 4MB - thats impossible to say, unless you
are able to post line stats from your modem/router, in which case we can
make an educated guess - though I would say "probably" without seeing the
figures..

If you do sign up with Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral code -just
quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under "How did you hear about
Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or just mention it while ordering by
telephone.

Regards
Sunil

Old April 28th 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 28 Apr 2005 18:28 GMT, SteveL wrote:

Both Bulldog's web page checker and a Bulldog sales girl claim that I
can get the 4MB broadband package.

Are Bulldog bull****ting to get customers or can they deliver?

See other posts by Sunil (and perhaps Phil) where it has been indicated that
Easynet and Bulldog seem to offer higher speeds at longer distances because
they just don't use such strict tolerances when they decide... Whether the
kit works up to those speeds is something I cannot answer (neither is yet
offering LLU service near me, but you may find people able to confirm them
having had higher speeds from LLU service than BT Wholesale would have let
them use (check ADSLguide forums, perhaps ?) Peter M

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old April 29th 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveL

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:28:44 GMT, SteveL
wrote:

Both Bulldog's web page checker and a Bulldog sales girl claim that I
can get the 4MB broadband package.

Trouble is BT have always maintained that I'm outside the 3.5km range
(3.9 Km by line test) and have refused to offer more than 512
(latterly 1MB).

Are Bulldog bull****ting to get customers or can they deliver?

MTIA.

Thanks for th responses. I'll give them a go, seeing as you can have a
1 month contract.
Old April 29th 05, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:02:10 +0100, SteveL
wrote:
Thanks for th responses. I'll give them a go, seeing as you can have a
1 month contract.

Let us know how you get on. It seems people only come to moan about
Bulldog and tell us how bad they are, which means lots of people trawl
usenet saying bulldog are crap. I'm thinking of signing up myself...