Should I migrate back to Plusnet?

Old April 28th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BIGEYE

Default Should I migrate back to Plusnet?

I am currently with Zen 512 k BB having migrated from PN on the basis of
service reliability and the announcement of the FU policy.
Now that the FU policy has been scrapped, should I migrate back to PN and
look to upgrade to the 2 MB connection. I don't download 24/7 but have three
pc's sharing the same internet connection. How much (GB) would I need to
download before I got close to the 5:1 contention?
And should I migrate back?
TIA

Old April 29th 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:09:02 +0100, BIGEYE wrote:

I am currently with Zen 512 k BB having migrated from PN on the basis of
service reliability and the announcement of the FU policy.
Now that the FU policy has been scrapped, should I migrate back to PN and
look to upgrade to the 2 MB connection. I don't download 24/7 but have three
pc's sharing the same internet connection. How much (GB) would I need to
download before I got close to the 5:1 contention?
And should I migrate back?
TIA

No .. please .. we PlusNet users beg you not to!!
Old April 30th 05, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

BIGEYE wrote:
I am currently with Zen 512 k BB having migrated from PN on the basis of
service reliability and the announcement of the FU policy.
Now that the FU policy has been scrapped, should I migrate back to PN and
look to upgrade to the 2 MB connection. I don't download 24/7 but have three
pc's sharing the same internet connection. How much (GB) would I need to
download before I got close to the 5:1 contention?
And should I migrate back?
TIA

I'd honestly say if you're the kind of heavy downloader that was
downloading enough to worry about fair usage policy then you should stay
where you are.

I'm averaging about 12gb to 15gb a month of transfer both incoming and
outgoing combined and I'm using the internet a lot more then most people
would.
Old April 30th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 28 Apr 2005 20:09, "BIGEYE" wrote:

and the announcement of the FU policy.
Now that the FU policy has been scrapped

Some describe the replacement for the FUP to be harsher if you a re a heavy
user. Under the FUP there were 'no teeth' if you exceeded the quota, until
your third month, when the throttle of your speed would take place. However
using the new Premier account, you will be able to be a heavy downloader at
night, but if your usage exceeds that 5:1 style loading, then you might get
'traffic shaping' applied which could affect newsgroups, and peer-to-peer
use, perhaps to a more significant level than you thought. Peter M.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old April 30th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Peter M wrote:
On 28 Apr 2005 20:09, "BIGEYE" wrote:

and the announcement of the FU policy.
Now that the FU policy has been scrapped

Some describe the replacement for the FUP to be harsher if you a re a heavy
user. Under the FUP there were 'no teeth' if you exceeded the quota, until

It's significantly harsher if you are a 512K user, especially P2P, where
you are uploading and downloading similar quantities.
Uploads are counted, unlike FUP.
So, whereas under FUP, at the lowest level, you get 40Gb (30Gb + the free
time), which can be 40Gb down and 40Gb up, and under "5:1", 40Gb (or so)
total transfer, which is about half.

It's even less favourable if you consider an application that is set to
throttle its usage outside the free usage period.

Even more insane, suppose I've got a 2Mb connection, under plusnets new
pricing scheme where up to 2Mb is the same price.

I'm using it happily, at 6:1, for maybe 160Gb or so download a month.
Now, I move next door, and can only get 512K.

Exactly the same usage, causing plusnet exactly the same costs is now abuse.
Barking mad.

Having said that, other than the cap, which will not impact many users at
all, I'm completely happy with plusnets other services, and am not at this
time considering moving.