A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Anyone Else for 14.99 Per month?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 29th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default Anyone Else for 14.99 Per month?

Plusnet's 14.99 a month looks perfect for my needs - as it seem to be
unlimited downloads and priority is for web surfing and email which is
what I do more then anything else and if I'm right they don't block any
ports? I should be able to go up to at least 1 mb/s based on my readings
from my router.

I'm currently paying pipex 23.44 a month for 512 kb/s

If I move to Plusnet is there anything I lose that I have with pipex but
don't with Plusnet?

I do need to send a plain text newsletter out 3 to 4 times a month to
2,000+ people and maybe upto 3,000 people in 12 months time - I use a
programe which does MX look ups and send without an SMTP server (most of
the time) - will plusnet look at this traffic and think I'm spamming
people? .. Pipex don't really seem to care what you do.

Also I've had the same stickey IP address with pipex for 2 years - I see
Plusnet's will be dynamic - are there any problems asccoiated with a
dynamic IP? I don't need to dial in or anything.

Is there anyone else to compare in this 14.99 price range to Plus Net?

And for existing customers what do you think of their customer service?
  #2  
Old April 29th 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Finnigan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Anyone Else for 14.99 Per month?

"Dee" wrote in message
.. .

I'm currently paying pipex 23.44 a month for 512 kb/s

If I move to Plusnet is there anything I lose that I have with pipex but
don't with Plusnet?


Is there anyone else to compare in this 14.99 price range to Plus Net?


Erm, Pipex possibly. Threaten to leave and see what they offer.


  #3  
Old April 29th 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default Anyone Else for 14.99 Per month?

On 29 Apr 2005 16:44, Dee wrote:

And for existing customers what do you think of their customer service?


They're quite a helpful bunch, in the main (though from time to time some
customer will have found a new member of staff who tells them wrong info...
Unfortunately that could happen with any firm/ISP.

They recommend using the 'Contact Us' ticket system (which isn't perfect, but
quite OK, the few times I have used it) or speak to them on the 0845 number
(they're open 24x7 with fewer staff on bank holidays).

The staff participate in a number of non-PN newsgroups (including this one),
and on ADSLguide (some might be critical of them doing so, but it seems some
of the time it's not during office hours anyway, so bonus points for being
willing... having said that, I have seen posts in u.t.b from Metronet and
Zen staff as well as Adrian K. of AAISP (www.aa.nu)

Anyway, you have little to lose - the Guarantee (shown on the migrate page)
means if you hate their service, you can get them to pay (up to some limit)
for the migration to some other ISP if you decide it's a bad choice. You
might want to sign up for their 'Essential' (mail + news) account so you
can take a look at their news service while you arrange your MAC and wait
to give notice as close to the next payment date for your current ISP.

You'll be able to choose a suitable username and should easily 'upgrade' it
when you migrate to their service. As Nick wrote, do check what Pipex will
offer when you say you want a MAC :-) Peter Morgan.


--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

With a guarantee allowing new users to migrate if they're unhappy!
  #4  
Old April 29th 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default Anyone Else for 14.99 Per month?

Peter M wrote:

Anyway, you have little to lose - the Guarantee (shown on the migrate page)
means if you hate their service, you can get them to pay (up to some limit)
for the migration to some other ISP if you decide it's a bad choice. You
might want to sign up for their 'Essential' (mail + news) account so you
can take a look at their news service while you arrange your MAC and wait
to give notice as close to the next payment date for your current ISP.

You'll be able to choose a suitable username and should easily 'upgrade' it
when you migrate to their service. As Nick wrote, do check what Pipex will
offer when you say you want a MAC :-) Peter Morgan.




I just rung Pipex - quite painless to get my MAC Code

They did offer me 2 months free broadband - but if I asked for MAC code
after 2 months they said they might ask for the 2 months rental back!!

They also checked to see when I'd be upgraded to 1 mb/s without payment
and it wasn't due until August.

I like the fact Plusnet' staff show up on Forums - it shows they're
taking an interest

BTW is their webspace 250mb of traffic per day or per month?

if it's per day I can redirect my website traffic there as I am reaching
my 1.5gb per month traffic limit on my current hosting company.

Pipex girl said she's emailing my MAC Code but so far nothing has arrived

BTW if I do want to go with Plusnet should I wait until after April for
any reason? Any May deals you think?

I assume plusnet provide an SMTP and Newsgroup server?
  #5  
Old April 29th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 353
Default Anyone Else for 14.99 Per month?

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:21:48 +0100, Dee
wrote:


Hi,



I just rung Pipex - quite painless to get my MAC Code

They did offer me 2 months free broadband - but if I asked for MAC code
after 2 months they said they might ask for the 2 months rental back!!

They also checked to see when I'd be upgraded to 1 mb/s without payment
and it wasn't due until August.


The rough schedule that BT have sent us for regrading customers speeds for
free is available at

http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/spe...e_scheme.shtml



I like the fact Plusnet' staff show up on Forums - it shows they're
taking an interest

BTW is their webspace 250mb of traffic per day or per month?



The figures quoted are daily figures, although if you are looking at the
Broadband Plus account it's 100MB per day. Broadband Premier and PAYG are
both 250MB per day.



if it's per day I can redirect my website traffic there as I am reaching
my 1.5gb per month traffic limit on my current hosting company.

Pipex girl said she's emailing my MAC Code but so far nothing has arrived

BTW if I do want to go with Plusnet should I wait until after April for
any reason? Any May deals you think?


There's no plans in place for any further changes at the moment, the free
migration is still in place and as Peter mentions there's the PlusNet
guarantee too.

http://www.plus.net/features/customer_guarantee.shtml



I assume plusnet provide an SMTP and Newsgroup server?


Indeed we do, all the details are on our at a glance page

http://www.plus.net/support//features/at_a_glance.shtml


With Regards,

Dave,
--
| Dave Tomlinson Broadband Solutions For
| Customer Support for Home & Business
| PlusNet plc @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
  #6  
Old April 29th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default Anyone Else for 14.99 Per month?

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:21 Dee wrote:

BTW is their webspace 250mb of traffic per day or per month?


That's 250 MB per day

if it's per day I can redirect my website traffic there as I am reaching
my 1.5gb per month traffic limit on my current hosting company.


Gulp. Who are they, please, being nosey ? I've had accounts for $5/month
giving 10 GB, I've even had accounts for $30/year allowing me 10 GB/month
(and it's a reseller account, hosting a number of domains if I want)

Pipex girl said she's emailing my MAC Code but so far nothing has arrived

BTW if I do want to go with Plusnet should I wait until after April for
any reason? Any May deals you think?


I think they kept all the 'deals' for yesterday... it was the day they
restarted offering their Premier account, following the U-turn over FUP.
From the changes they have made to the website, the things which seem to
have happened since 10 days ago are

o they now offer 'free' setup (on all three product ranges)

o they set fees for higher speed Premier accounts (ie fee depends on
speed, not for download quota as they had planned to do with FUP)

o Broadband Plus now offers different fees for 4000 and 8000 kbps
and 14.99 gets you 'up to 2000 kbps'

o pricing for PAYG seems to have gone lower as well

I assume plusnet provide an SMTP and Newsgroup server?


Yes. This is posted using their news service :-)
  #7  
Old April 29th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pilbs
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default Anyone Else for 14.99 Per month?


"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:21:48 +0100, Dee
wrote:


Hi,



I just rung Pipex - quite painless to get my MAC Code

They did offer me 2 months free broadband - but if I asked for MAC code
after 2 months they said they might ask for the 2 months rental back!!

They also checked to see when I'd be upgraded to 1 mb/s without payment
and it wasn't due until August.


The rough schedule that BT have sent us for regrading customers speeds for
free is available at

http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/spe...e_scheme.shtml



I like the fact Plusnet' staff show up on Forums - it shows they're
taking an interest

BTW is their webspace 250mb of traffic per day or per month?



The figures quoted are daily figures, although if you are looking at the
Broadband Plus account it's 100MB per day. Broadband Premier and PAYG are
both 250MB per day.



if it's per day I can redirect my website traffic there as I am reaching
my 1.5gb per month traffic limit on my current hosting company.

Pipex girl said she's emailing my MAC Code but so far nothing has arrived

BTW if I do want to go with Plusnet should I wait until after April for
any reason? Any May deals you think?


There's no plans in place for any further changes at the moment, the free
migration is still in place and as Peter mentions there's the PlusNet
guarantee too.

http://www.plus.net/features/customer_guarantee.shtml



I assume plusnet provide an SMTP and Newsgroup server?


Indeed we do, all the details are on our at a glance page

http://www.plus.net/support//features/at_a_glance.shtml


With Regards,

Dave,
--
| Dave Tomlinson Broadband Solutions For
| Customer Support for Home & Business
| PlusNet plc @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----


What modem comes with this package?


  #8  
Old April 29th 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default Anyone Else for 14.99 Per month?

On 29 Apr 2005 19:09, "Pilbs" wrote:

What modem comes with this package?


They have different modems available. If you are going from dial-up
to ADSL you can get a free USB modem but they sell a 1-port for 29.99
(plus postage, I expect) and a 4-port for 49.99. Unfortunately their
web page does not give any model numbers at the moment. May be best
to ring them on their 0845 number. The web page showing the hardware
is http://www.plus.net/features/hardware/hardware_details.shtml


--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

With a guarantee allowing new users to migrate if they're unhappy!
  #9  
Old April 29th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 363
Default Anyone Else for 14.99 Per month?

Dee wrote:
Plusnet's 14.99 a month looks perfect for my needs - as it seem to be
unlimited downloads and priority is for web surfing and email which is
what I do more then anything else and if I'm right they don't block
any ports? I should be able to go up to at least 1 mb/s based on my
readings from my router.


That is correct but it is a "traffic shaped" account, which is code for
saying they knobble the speed for P2P, binary newsgroups and heavy
downloads.

I'm currently paying pipex 23.44 a month for 512 kb/s

If I move to Plusnet is there anything I lose that I have with pipex
but don't with Plusnet?


Don't know.

I do need to send a plain text newsletter out 3 to 4 times a month to
2,000+ people and maybe upto 3,000 people in 12 months time - I use a
programe which does MX look ups and send without an SMTP server (most
of the time) - will plusnet look at this traffic and think I'm
spamming people? .. Pipex don't really seem to care what you do.


Ordinary e-mail is tar pitted. This means that over, I think, 20 recipients
the sending time increases logarithmically. Set up a mailing list to avoid
this.

Also I've had the same stickey IP address with pipex for 2 years - I
see Plusnet's will be dynamic - are there any problems asccoiated
with a dynamic IP? I don't need to dial in or anything.


Don't think there are any significant problems. If you have a router leave
it on all the time then you will have a sticky IP address, at least until
the network goes down or you lose sync. Alternatively, premier accounts
have a fixed IP at 21.99

Is there anyone else to compare in this 14.99 price range to Plus
Net?


Don't know.

And for existing customers what do you think of their customer
service?


Probably as good as most and certainly better than some. Not as good as
they try to pretend though.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

What matters in politics is not what happens, but what you can make people
believe has happened. [Janet Daley 27/8/2003]


  #10  
Old April 30th 05, 02:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 74
Default Anyone Else for 14.99 Per month?

PlusNet Support Team wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:21:48 +0100, Dee
wrote:




The rough schedule that BT have sent us for regrading customers speeds
for free is available at

http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/spe...e_scheme.shtml



Probably worth emphasising that this is rough and only gives the month
for the exchange upgrade.
As for when an 'April05' exchange customer gets the upgrade, this is
unknown.
I don't know if it is relevant to anything but for my exchange EAMAL
www.samknows.com lists it as 2 DSLAM setup but there is only one listed
on the upgrade plan.
Bill

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8MB ADSL @ 29.99/month Gareth :-\\\) voom uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 April 8th 05 10:39 PM
Sub-12 month contracts? Roger uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 October 11th 04 05:51 PM
no 12 month taquitto uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 November 30th 03 10:44 AM
26Mbps for 20 per month !!! Dan Manley uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 November 21st 03 01:09 AM
Month On, Month Off ADSL Chris Comley uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 15 September 10th 03 11:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.