Weird ADSL Drop Out

Old April 30th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Weird ADSL Drop Out

Just started today - nothing been changed or touched.....

Drayek just keeps saying INITIALIZING for the ADSL status, unless I
unplug the internal wiring. SNR was always poor (6db) with it
connected, 24 without. Yeah I know but it was working fine even with
those figures. Loop Att. 51 BTW.

So i've been round the house unplugging stuff with internal wiring on,
and it seems the culprit is my Skyplus box. Unplugged that (with
everything else plugged in) and SNR goes to 14, Loop att. down to 44,
almost 2mb territory!!

Router says SHOWTIME and t'internet works!

Plug the skyplus back in and t'internet goes off - INITIALIZING again!

Also have a Sky ordinary box plugged in - doesn't seem to bother anything.

BT won't help - have to go through ISP - Metronet, who go home at weekends.....

Wonder if someone is buggering around at t'other end?

Steve

Old April 30th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Steve wrote:
[...]

Well it sounds like you've proved it for yourself, you've got a faulty sky
box (it is connected via filter I take it)...

Old April 30th 05, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

kraftee wrote:
Steve wrote:
[...]

(Sorry I clicked a bit quick...)

If you did get a fault raised & got a engineering visit arranged you would
be stung with charges if what you posted above is true.

Try swapping filters around & see if the problem moves

Old April 30th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Well it sounds like you've proved it for yourself, you've got a
faulty sky box (it is connected via filter I take it)...

(Sorry I clicked a bit quick...)

If you did get a fault raised & got a engineering visit arranged you
would be stung with charges if what you posted above is true.

Try swapping filters around & see if the problem moves

Well actually I don't have a filter on it!

I figured it's only gonna dial very occasionally overnight so won't
affect ADSL during the day when I use it for work. My 'personal' home
internet is NTL cable.

I've been meaning to get one of those master box inline filters from
Clatiry - I think I will now.

Strange it's just started happening, it's been fine for six months like this.

Right, as we've just lost to Chelsea's stolen Oil millions I'm off the
to shop to get 12 tins of Stella to drown my sorrows.

BWFC Steve

Old April 30th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Steve" wrote in message
news:2005043019443727544%[email protected]

Well it sounds like you've proved it for yourself, you've got a
faulty sky box (it is connected via filter I take it)...

(Sorry I clicked a bit quick...)

If you did get a fault raised & got a engineering visit arranged you
would be stung with charges if what you posted above is true.

Try swapping filters around & see if the problem moves

Well actually I don't have a filter on it!

I figured it's only gonna dial very occasionally overnight so won't affect
ADSL during the day when I use it for work. My 'personal' home internet is
NTL cable.

Sorry, I'm afraid ADSL doesn't work like that. The ADSL signal is series of
carriers at up to 8 MHz. These signals pass straight through a
phone/fax/modem that's not protected by a microfilter and so get shorted to
ground - hence the lack of signal at the ADSL router. This happens even when
the device is on-hook (ie not dialling or engaged in a call).

ANY telephone/fax/modem etc must be isolated from the line by a microfilter,
even if it's rarely or never used for making a call.

Old April 30th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Well actually I don't have a filter on it!

I figured it's only gonna dial very occasionally overnight so won't
affect ADSL during the day when I use it for work. My 'personal' home
internet is NTL cable.

Sorry, I'm afraid ADSL doesn't work like that. The ADSL signal is
series of carriers at up to 8 MHz. These signals pass straight through
a phone/fax/modem that's not protected by a microfilter and so get
shorted to ground - hence the lack of signal at the ADSL router. This
happens even when the device is on-hook (ie not dialling or engaged in
a call).

ANY telephone/fax/modem etc must be isolated from the line by a
microfilter, even if it's rarely or never used for making a call.

Aha - I never knew! U learn sth every day - thanks mate!

I'll unplug the lot and get one of those Clarity things ordered. The
other sky box doesn't seem to affect it tho and it did work before....

Don't supposed u cant get us the points off Chelsea?

Steve

Old April 30th 05, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Steve wrote:
[...]

Don't leave them unplugged for long or else you'll get a very polite, yet
threatening, letter from Sky asking why they aren't plugged in....

I know you just can't win.....

Old April 30th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

No it isn't, ADSL signals are a max of 1.104MHz. ADSL2+ doubles this, but
your point is however correct

Old April 30th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"TheDragon" wrote in message
No it isn't, ADSL signals are a max of 1.104MHz. ADSL2+ doubles this, but
your point is however correct

Really? How do you modulate a 2 Mbps data signal onto a 1 MHz carrier? I'm
sure I've seen several sources, some of them from before ADSL2+ was
proposed, that said the carriers could be up to 8 MHz.

Old April 30th 05, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Martin Underwood wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

And some phones seem to inject noise back through a filter.
With one (specific) phone plugged into a filter, I see 10db lower SNR
margin.