IS THIS A GOOD SPEED FOR 3MB BROADBAND

Old May 1st 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

Default IS THIS A GOOD SPEED FOR 3MB BROADBAND

Having just done a speed test on adslguide.org these are the results for my
connection

Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 2686 Kbps (335.8 KB/sec) 2900 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 282 Kbps (35.3 KB/sec) 304 Kbps (inc. overheads

I have a 3mb connection and am more than happy but was wondering what you
knowledgeable folks think, is it good/bad or???????

Old May 1st 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

"Stefan Kaniuk" wrote in message
Having just done a speed test on adslguide.org these are the results for

my
connection

Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 2686 Kbps (335.8 KB/sec) 2900 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 282 Kbps (35.3 KB/sec) 304 Kbps (inc. overheads

I have a 3mb connection and am more than happy but was wondering what you
knowledgeable folks think, is it good/bad or???????

Excellent.

I just upgraded to 2MBit (even though all the status checkers I've tried
said I shouldn't even have 1Mbit - HAH! Had that for 12 months LOL) and I'm
getting 1.97MBit from my ADSL line.

I'm impressed. Even more so because I'm a million miles away from the
exchange. (I may be on the new DSLAM that got installed the same day though)

Happy days....

Simon

PS: I assume you're on NTHell or Teleworst cable for 3MBit?

Old May 1st 05, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

simon yea am on ntl, i know what people think in the main but have tried all
the others(well not all) and i really believe they are great,well adequate
for m
y usage anyway. i cant wait for the faster speeds though.

Old May 2nd 05, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

"Simon Ough" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting Simon - do you know how far away you are from the exchange (or
what your downstream attenuation is) ????

I'm approx 3.5km away with an attenuation of 51db. I've been on 1mb with no
probs for nearly a year and am patiently awaiting to see if I can get 2mb
from the exchange. (my exchange shows as "trial" in the recent BT press
release for upgrades)

Andy

Old May 2nd 05, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message

Interesting Simon - do you know how far away you are from the exchange (or
what your downstream attenuation is) ????

I'm approx 3.5km away with an attenuation of 51db. I've been on 1mb with

no
probs for nearly a year and am patiently awaiting to see if I can get 2mb
from the exchange. (my exchange shows as "trial" in the recent BT press
release for upgrades)

I don't know what the attenuation is. All I know is that the cable isn't
that old (20 years or so), so it may be that I am lucky. They may have
switched copper pairs at their end to a line with a lower length run to my
house.

All I know is that I shouldn't have 1MBit, let alone 2MBit, so I'm counting
my blessings.

(Or the BTw checker is borked)

Simon