technical query

Old May 1st 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default technical query

hi,

i have a vispa 512k connection with a small webserver on it. lately i have
been having problems connecting, it is real slow.

tonight i tried a:

ping -a -t 83.217.169.55 output.txt

I let this run for half an hour then did a ctrl-c.

i found i had a 13% error rate at the end of my ping statistics and the
messages included Request timed out. and TTL expired in transit.

Question is, what could be the problem. and who will help? Vispa? I am
dreading the ISP first line support coming back to me with 'it all checks
out fine from this end' (thats if they get back to me at all this time).

the problem goes away when I work on the lan and I have already changed the
router from a dlink to a belkin.

Opinions or experiences welcome

Old May 2nd 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:56:15 GMT, wrote:

hi,

i have a vispa 512k connection with a small webserver on it. lately i have
been having problems connecting, it is real slow.

tonight i tried a:

ping -a -t 83.217.169.55 output.txt

I let this run for half an hour then did a ctrl-c.

i found i had a 13% error rate at the end of my ping statistics and the
messages included Request timed out. and TTL expired in transit.

Question is, what could be the problem. and who will help? Vispa? I am
dreading the ISP first line support coming back to me with 'it all checks
out fine from this end' (thats if they get back to me at all this time).

the problem goes away when I work on the lan and I have already changed the
router from a dlink to a belkin.

Opinions or experiences welcome

You will find that ISPs will not support technical problems relating
to running a server on the end of an ADSL connection.

If your server's popular, and there's a lot of activity on the
upstream side of your connection and it can't sustain the rate then
that's the answer to your packet loss problem.

If it's a small personal Web server then you'll have to live with it
I'm afraid, but if you're running any kind of commercial Web server
then I'd suggest it's time to consider SDSL, leased line or
colocation.

Jake